M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

11-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Anyone done power steering flush?

I have what i believe is power steering pump whine. I want to do a flush to see if it goes away. It is there from startup to any speed. I am thinking of taking off the belt and running the car to confirm it is a power steering pump noise. Wanted to ask for anyone that has maybe done it, are there any seals to replace that could maybe have worn down causing air to enter the lines? In the video below you can how the noise gets louder when i get closer to front of the car. I took my plastic cover off last night and no apparent signs of leaks but i will be taking the metal pan off today to inspect further.

Don't think i can embed the video in here, but here is the link and public, for anyone that cares to take a listen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lae...gqCXmAZwP/view

Last edited by ruben356; 11-03-2021 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:26 AM   #2
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
How many miles on the car?

You can have a shop do a full flush if impatient, or you can use one of a few methods for DIY.

For me, I do the slow method of replacing the fluid over the course of a few weeks. I get the engine warm, shut it off, open the reservoir and suck out fluid to the bottom of the white deflector. Then refill with fresh fluid. Only do this once before restarting and running the engine to circulate the fresh fluid. I basically would do this once a day for a week or so and the fluid looks clean and fresh. Now, I pull some fluid every oil change to help keep it fresh.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 07:41 AM   #3
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
How many miles on the car?

You can have a shop do a full flush if impatient, or you can use one of a few methods for DIY.

For me, I do the slow method of replacing the fluid over the course of a few weeks. I get the engine warm, shut it off, open the reservoir and suck out fluid to the bottom of the white deflector. Then refill with fresh fluid. Only do this once before restarting and running the engine to circulate the fresh fluid. I basically would do this once a day for a week or so and the fluid looks clean and fresh. Now, I pull some fluid every oil change to help keep it fresh.
Thanks, I just hit 65k, I figured it out. I have no leaks on any of the connections to the pumps or the rack itself, so i just pulled everything out of the reservoir drained from the rack and refilled and removed air as per ISTA instructions. Fluid was not that dirty and turns out wasn't that causing the noise. Changing drive belts and tensioner next. Belts look dated, have feeling could be a pulley somewhere. If its not the tensioner, i will also be doing coolant pump and thermostat. All items i wanted to address anyways so no worry to me till i find the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 06:09 AM   #4
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
Thanks, I just hit 65k, I figured it out. I have no leaks on any of the connections to the pumps or the rack itself, so i just pulled everything out of the reservoir drained from the rack and refilled and removed air as per ISTA instructions. Fluid was not that dirty and turns out wasn't that causing the noise. Changing drive belts and tensioner next. Belts look dated, have feeling could be a pulley somewhere. If its not the tensioner, i will also be doing coolant pump and thermostat. All items i wanted to address anyways so no worry to me till i find the issue.
Any update?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #5
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Any update?
Wasn't power steering, fluid was barely dirty and no leaks anywhere. Seems like its the belt tensioner, changing that this weekend after month and half waiting on parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #6
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just to update this, was definitely belt and tensioner for me. Whine is gone.
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2021, 09:27 AM   #7
autoxautox
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 2015 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
Just to update this, was definitely belt and tensioner for me. Whine is gone.
Thank you for the update. I have a whine that sounds like power steering too but a new pump is crazy pricey and looks like a lot of work. Of course the tensioner doesn't look fun either lol. I'm going to give it a try.
Appreciate 0