M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #45
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Then they are physically adding another access path to the memory that they can exploit later . Still wayyyyy more invasive than I'm interested in .
So basically where one might sneak a fiber probe camera under a locked door to have a look around [flash tuning], this is akin to a battering ram through a wall and making your own door
Hey M5/6 watch out ! I'm tuning you're ass with extreme prejudice !
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #46
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List

Soldering FTW!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #47
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother posting about stuff like this with all the negativity and "insight" that ridicules their method, even though the process isn't known...

This is a really negative crowd sometimes... The tune has to be free, be installed while waiting in line at the drive thru and organize the music on your iPad to be any good it seems
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #48
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
If my car gets here before I go out of town I will gladly ship the ecu's away for two weeks. Just want delimiter. I prefer reliable power and don't need a 1000 hp m5. I am sitting at 700 and am comfortable with that. I am keeping this car for 7-8 years so I want to make sure I don't over do it. I also think that we won't see much gain other the 1/2 mile times because of traction.
      08-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #49
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Sometimes I wonder why we even bother posting about stuff like this with all the negativity and "insight" that ridicules their method, even though the process isn't known...

This is a really negative crowd sometimes... The tune has to be free, be installed while waiting in line at the drive thru and organize the music on your iPad to be any good it seems
True and I would trust renntech completely if thats How they do Benz's... Wonder why they didn't swoop in and take over the market of BMWs too
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #50
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330

Seriously , taking the ECU apart and physically modifying it is a big deal any way you slice it . That's worlds away from an OBD II tune . That takes nothing away from what they seem have accomplished as they seem to be the first that can actually manipulate code on the F series ECU's . It's just not appealing for most to ship our ECU to another country for weeks .
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #51
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Seriously , taking the ECU apart and physically modifying it is a big deal any way you slice it . That's worlds away from an OBD II tune . That takes nothing away from what they seem have accomplished as they seem to be the first that can actually manipulate code on the F series ECU's . It's just not appealing for most to ship our ECU to another country for weeks .
Yeah I'd never ship it anywhere even if it was non invasive, not for any amount of safe horsepower for any price...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 12:32 AM   #52
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003
Quote:

How do you know they take it apart and physically add/remove parts inside the DME? That is a possibility of course, but we haven't had any confirmation that this is what they actually do...

Last edited by Boss330; 08-08-2014 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #53
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I'd never ship it anywhere even if it was non invasive, not for any amount of safe horsepower for any price...
We ship parts all over the world every day, with tracking. Much more expensive parts than a DME... Worst case is having to buy a new DME (which IS expensive, around USD 1800-2000). But that's why we have insurance on freight... People ship their pets, let their kids fly alone so I wouldn't be to bothered about shipping the DME (but I do see that this is a concern to many)

One issue is of course not having a working car for a few weeks. That means that this isn't an option to those that depend on the car every day. But in general I don't see why it's a big issue shipping the DME?

That's how I suppose BMW sends a new DME to a dealership if someone needs a new DME anyway...?

Last edited by Boss330; 08-08-2014 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:13 AM   #54
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Maybe a bit off topic here, but I still can't undersatnd why BMW won't allow you access to the DME. If it were my decision, I would allow any owner a key to open their specific DME in exchange for a full release of the warranty for any damage to the drivetrain that could have been caused, directly or indirectly, from any modification to the DME. Now you have a bunch of very happy owbers who are willing to risk the warranty coverage for a tune and you have some very fast M cars out there with a better chance of smiking the competiton. All good for BMW and M. And finally, you will get to sell some new engines every once in a while to the bozo who blew his up with a bad tune. I am not seeing the downside?
Many people are leasing their car and BMW is still the owner of that car. Now you lease the car and have access to DME to put some stress on engine/drivetrain and of course there is no warranty for you. After 3 years you return the car to BMW. BMW Certifies the car and sell it to other guy. The guy buys the car and drive it and one day he wakes up, gets in the car and mash the gas and boom. Part failure due to improper previous tuning while car is under powertrain warranty. Who is gonna pay for that? BMW and please don't say they check everything before they certify it! I have seen a lot brand new cars had part failure in less than 1000 miles!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #55
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Many people are leasing their car and BMW is still the owner of that car. Now you lease the car and have access to DME to put some stress on engine/drivetrain and of course there is no warranty for you. After 3 years you return the car to BMW. BMW Certifies the car and sell it to other guy. The guy buys the car and drive it and one day he wakes up, gets in the car and mash the gas and boom. Part failure due to improper previous tuning while car is under powertrain warranty. Who is gonna pay for that? BMW and please don't say they check everything before they certify it! I have seen a lot brand new cars had part failure in less than 1000 miles!
Good point and something you definitely need to consider before tuning a leased car... At least you should revert to std before returning it!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #56
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
We ship parts all over the world every day, with tracking. Much more expensive parts than a DME... Worst case is having to buy a new DME (which IS expensive, around USD 1800-2000). But that's why we have insurance on freight... People ship their pets, let their kids fly alone so I wouldn't be to bothered about shipping the DME (but I do see that this is a concern to many)

One issue is of course not having a working car for a few weeks. That means that this isn't an option to those that depend on the car every day. But in general I don't see why it's a big issue shipping the DME?

That's how I suppose BMW sends a new DME to a dealership if someone needs a new DME anyway...?
The M5/6 have two DME's FYI . So you're looking at 5k for lost /damaged DME's . If you don't break the encryption software the only way to tune the ECU is to directly flash to the memory period . Thus requires taking the ECU out of the car and directly accessing the memory . If they had the encryption beat via software they wouldn't need to remove the ECU from the car .
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #57
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
The M5/6 have two DME's FYI . So you're looking at 5k for lost /damaged DME's
And it's not just that. All information and history of your car is written in DME. If you replace your DME with a brand new one (in term of damaged or lost), the next time you go to any dealer and they scan your Key, they will find out that DME is replaced by anyone other than BMW dealer due to lack of history. Your warranty is voide! simple
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:22 AM   #58
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
contacting them now

so they have
Stage 1 - 630hp/780NM torque
Stage 2 - CEL removal, Vmax removal, working on power increase for this stage

they also offer warranty for cars under 5 years old/50k miles

it takes them 1-3 days to do an upgrade
Costing on Stage I ?.
      08-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #59
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post

Not an issue if they require a release before they give you to key to unlock your DME. They obviously would not allow it without the OWNER'S release so it would be a no can do for someone who is leasing.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #60
rafaele92
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 YMB & M6 F13 CP SBlack

Anyone here already did it ??? im really tempted i need feedback guys
14“Mini JCW GP2 R56 - SOLD
14“Suzuki Hayabusa 50th Edition - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 02:49 AM   #61
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Beginning of September my car gets done there.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #62
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

If we Americans only lived a stones drive away from there.... The possibilities
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #63
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC FULL HAMMAN WIDE BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
Beginning of September my car gets done there.
Are u sending yr car there or the DME? Love to see the result!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #64
rafaele92
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 YMB & M6 F13 CP SBlack

If it aproves , im NEXT !

DME by mail , glad for being in europe hehe
14“Mini JCW GP2 R56 - SOLD
14“Suzuki Hayabusa 50th Edition - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 01:17 AM   #65
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym3100k View Post
Are u sending yr car there or the DME? Love to see the result!
I am bringing the car there. They want to do a custom tune based on my hardware and TCU software.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:54 AM   #66
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC FULL HAMMAN WIDE BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
I am bringing the car there. They want to do a custom tune based on my hardware and TCU software.
When u r there, can u check with them what happen if we don't have the hardware now(turbo) so how will they base on for tuning?

Will they also solve the problem of the fuel pump issues or do u think we can replace the injector n use the existing pump.

For oversea customers, what options do we have? Anyone any idea on that?
Appreciate 0