M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

09-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 bmw 325is

Flights to Munich

I just started looking for flight to Munich. I was hoping to pick up at the Welt and then drop off at some other country (i.e. France, Belgium, Italy, or wherever). But having looked at flight fares, it seems that a one way ticket to Munich and return from a different country are 2x then a Munich round trip. Did most of your ED'ers start/end in Munich?

I haven't gotten my packet yet in regards to travel or tried calling Lufthansa for that ED discount. But my hunch is, that I may be better off looking for airfare myself online.
      09-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

It could just be due to your buying too close to when you want to go. I am flying from NY to Munich and driving south to France and will be flying back to NY from Nice and the price difference between a round trip NY-Munich-Nice-NY was not much from a NY-Munich-NY ticket. I also got a ticket for my nephew who is flying LA-Munich-Nice-LA and the price difference between that and a LA-Munich-LA was not that much either. I bought the tickets in June. BTW, am flying business class but I did price out coach fares for those iteneraries and there was not that much difference, but as I have indicated, the tickets were purchased way back in June through American Express platinum travel service.

Last edited by nybimmerfan; 09-06-2012 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

if u're talking about pricing difference on Lufthansa.com then don't worry about it. the price difference u see could just be the difference in cabin class which is not easy to spot the difference right away. thing to do is to check different schedule frequently. it's good to have back up plans.

i'm heading to Munich for ED on 9/24 from LAX to MUC. returning from CDG to LAX later. the multi-city ticket is actually cheaper than returning from MUC based on my search with the schedule i like. haven't bought ticket yet but plan to do so in next few days.

btw, if u're in LA, make sure u take the LH453. it's the newest plane(A340-600) with the shortest fly time to Munich. the 747 between LAX to MUC sucks.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Bnicely
Bnicely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

FYI my folks flew business class to Paris on Labor Day and paid half price, Unfortunately I never found a great deal for ATL to MUC, Delta wanted 600k + sky miles for 2 biz class seats to which i told them they were coo coo for cocoa puffs, ended up with two sky mile tix economy for 200k points through Amex, will be attempting upgrade to economy plus next week before departure. Point is the more calls you can make to the airlines, searching kayak and other travel sites the better because you may run across a deal. I personally wasnt willing to spend $9 to $10k for two biz tix when i can fly FOC in economy. Best of luck to you!!
      09-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Lieutenant
Rep

a little more info i'd like to share. just got off the phone with Lufthansa on my ED flight schedule. i did not know the buy 1 get 1 free program expired in June. now since we have to purchase 2 tickets, even with the BMW ED discount offered by Lufthansa, i still found online price to be cheaper. so i guess calling them doesn't make much sense anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
ibrennan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Frozen Gray M3

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Are you searching for multi-city tickets 2 one way tickets? If you are looking for 2 one way tickets it is certainly going to be much more expensive.

I just did a search for LAX - MUC and return CDG - LAX... it came back with less than $1000 for economy... not bad. Check kayak.com
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ahh! That was it! I was looking at 2 One-Way tickets instead of Multi-City. Cool. Thanks so much. Now to replan my trip.
      09-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
a little more info i'd like to share. just got off the phone with Lufthansa on my ED flight schedule. i did not know the buy 1 get 1 free program expired in June. now since we have to purchase 2 tickets, even with the BMW ED discount offered by Lufthansa, i still found online price to be cheaper. so i guess calling them doesn't make much sense anymore.
Plus they are having strike issues currently.
      09-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly-dee View Post
Plus they are having strike issues currently.
i know. it's dumb for those targeted strikes. i'm subscribed Lufthansa fan on FB which they post all the strike info updates. quite amazed & stupid to read the situation.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
It could just be due to your buying too close to when you want to go. I am flying from NY to Munich and driving south to France and will be flying back to NY from Nice and the price difference between a round trip NY-Munich-Nice-NY was not much from a NY-Munich-NY ticket. I also got a ticket for my nephew who is flying LA-Munich-Nice-LA and the price difference between that and a LA-Munich-LA was not that much either. I bought the tickets in June. BTW, am flying business class but I did price out coach fares for those iteneraries and there was not that much difference, but as I have indicated, the tickets were purchased way back in June through American Express platinum travel service.
I repeat do not fly Lufthansa.
End of story, thats my two cents experience.
Late, late, cancelled flight, lost luggage.
Any questions?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh man! They were the only ones offering a direct flight from LAX. I guess I'll take my chances. Flights are now booked.