BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

Sudden reduced throttle response - any insight?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I've had my M5 since September but it only has ~2900 miles on it (I'm seldom home to drive my car). This past week there has been a noticeable loss of responsiveness when stepping on the gas; to paraphrase from another recent post, the car feels sluggish. There feels to be a definite hesitation when accelerating; it's definitely not the same sharp acceleration I've felt in the past.

There are no engine warning lights. I had the Meisterschaft (EVO) installed earlier and the car pulled harder for months, but as aforementioned it's slower now.

Anyone out there have any insight/suggestions on things I should look for? I'm reticent to take the car to the dealer as the high probability of something else miraculously breaking is unappealing. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un Gato Malodoro View Post
I've had my M5 since September but it only has ~2900 miles on it (I'm seldom home to drive my car). This past week there has been a noticeable loss of responsiveness when stepping on the gas; to paraphrase from another recent post, the car feels sluggish. There feels to be a definite hesitation when accelerating; it's definitely not the same sharp acceleration I've felt in the past.

There are no engine warning lights. I had the Meisterschaft (EVO) installed earlier and the car pulled harder for months, but as aforementioned it's slower now.

Anyone out there have any insight/suggestions on things I should look for? I'm reticent to take the car to the dealer as the high probability of something else miraculously breaking is unappealing. Thanks in advance.
It could be the ECU pulling timing because of our lovely DC Metro summer humidity....
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un Gato Malodoro View Post
I had the Meisterschaft (EVO) installed earlier and the car pulled harder for months, but as aforementioned it's slower now.
Check your exhaust vacuum lines and see that are still properly sealed. even a tiny leak in these causes the car to feel like it has lot the turbos. Very common during aftermarket exhaust installation but you usually notice immediately after install. Perhaps they came unplugged.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
It could be the ECU pulling timing because of our lovely DC Metro summer humidity....
Lol I know. I also checked for cicadas clogging the intakes but didn't find any.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Check your exhaust vacuum lines and see that are still properly sealed. even a tiny leak in these causes the car to feel like it has lot the turbos. Very common during aftermarket exhaust installation but you usually notice immediately after install. Perhaps they came unplugged.
Thanks for the advice...the comment about the car feeling "like it lost the turbos" is a good analogy to what I'm experiencing. I will definitely check that out.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
+1
Appreciate 0