M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #23
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower3330 View Post
Excellent. Thanks Stealth! Very helpful. I will definitely be getting these instead of the springs. The one thing that I've disliked with the M5 is the roll, when compared to my E46 M3 (which was lowered with springs) it is terrible. The roll makes me a little nervous in the corners. This should also help deal with the BMW warranty issue, as it should not effect it when installed at Dinan dealer correct?
Correct. Dinan will warranty the sways for the same duration as the BMW bumper to bumper warranty, and BMW continues to warranty the rest of the suspension. If you ever have suspension issues it should be covered by one warranty or another.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #24
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Great. Just ordered and having them installed next week. Will report back and give my opinion on them. Wish they offered just springs as well, vs the adjustable coilover suspension. I like the peace of mind that Dinan offers. Especially when we have so much time left on the 4 year/50k mile warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #25
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0
has anyone installed the dinan sways? if so did you set to most stiff setting or softer setting? wondering how much it changes comfort and why you choose this over the cp bars.
I am in the softest setting with the Dinan sways. BTW that is still 50% tighter than the competition package sways.

CP bars are too weak. They work in conjunction with stiffer springs and shocks.

IMO Dinan sways with OEM suspension delivers a more flat cornering with smoother ride than CP. This is the best of all worlds.
Thanks stealth.

I will also get this upgrade. very helpful info.
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #26
Hawkeye1
Displaced Iowan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0 View Post
has anyone installed the dinan sways? if so did you set to most stiff setting or softer setting? wondering how much it changes comfort and why you choose this over the cp bars.
I have the Dinan sway bars and the coilover kit, and I like them both, though there's no doubt you notice the effect of the sway bars more than the springs. The bars are set to 'minimum', which Dinan calls 'neutral', and according to my SA means the car maintains its stock tendency to modestly understeer at the limit, which is fine with me. I worried that the springs would make the car too bouncy, but so far that hasn't been the case unless the pavement gets very rough, in which case you can feel the added stiffness. I got the coilover kit because I wanted the overall effect of added spring rate, and more camber from lowering the body. The dealership set the height at Dinan's 'recommended' level which is .75 inches below stock. I'm taking it back in tomorrow because I think the rear is too low and I want them to raise it so that the front and rear wheel wells are closer to even height. (It looks droopy in the back.)

With the springs and sway bars, I am much happier driving the non-CP car. Turn in is crisper and the car is much more stable when you take a hard corner and load up the suspension and tires. It's still a heavy car, and though the weight isn't gone, I notice it less and enjoy throwing the car around more. I went through a series of E90 and E93 M3's before buying the M5 and I missed the 'happy puppy' feeling of my old cars. I feel like it's back now.

It might be coincidence, but the car seems to hook up better when launching (with or without launch control). I went to a dragstrip last night and ran 11.97s at 119.26 mph on a bone stock motor. The car hooked up instantly and the run was great. (I did not use launch control or brake torque the motor. Just rolled into the throttle when the last yellow light flashed.) I'm not enough of a suspension expert to know if the mods really helped or if I just got lucky at launch, because my second pass wasn't as good as the first (more wheel slip and 12.58s).

Summary. I like the total package. More control, more stability, no appreciable impact on ride quality. The downside? It was pricey...
2018 911 GT3 (Manual) - Mine
2013 911 S Cabriolet - Mostly mine

Last edited by Hawkeye1; 06-22-2014 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #27
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye59 View Post
I have the Dinan sway bars and the coilover kit, and I like them both, though there's no doubt you notice the effect of the sway bars more than the springs. The bars are set to 'minimum', which Dinan calls 'neutral', and according to my SA means the car maintains its stock tendency to modestly understeer at the limit, which is fine with me. I worried that the springs would make the car too bouncy, but so far that hasn't been the case unless the pavement gets very rough, in which case you can feel the added stiffness. I got the coilover kit because I wanted to the overall effect of added spring rate, and more camber from lowering the body. The dealership set the height at Dinan's 'recommended' level which is .75 inches below stock. I'm taking it back in tomorrow because I think the rear is too low and I want them to raise it so that the front and rear wheel wells are closer to even height. (It looks droopy in the back.)

With the springs and sway bars, I am much happier driving the non-CP car. Turn in is crisper and the car is much more stable when you take a hard corner and load up the suspension and tires. It's still a heavy car, and though the weight isn't gone, I notice it less and enjoy throwing the car around more. I went through a series of E90 and E93 M3's before buying the M5 and I missed the 'happy puppy' feeling of my old cars. I feel like it's back now.

It might be coincidence, but the car seems to hook up better when launching (with or without launch control). I went to a dragstrip last night and ran 11.97s at 119.26 mph on a bone stock motor. The car hooked up instantly and the run was great. (I did not use launch control or brake torque the motor. Just rolled into the throttle when the last yellow light flashed.) I'm not enough of a suspension expert to know if the mods really helped or if I just got lucky at launch, because my second pass wasn't as good as the first (more wheel slip and 12.58s).

Summary. I like the total package. More control, more stability, no appreciable impact on ride quality. The downside? It was pricey...
Great review.
But it's still pretty competitive option (in terms of $$) for KWV3.
With Dinan, you can adjustable coil over (while keeping EDC functions), front/rear sways and negative camber control arms for same money. So it's pretty good option I think.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #28
Hawkeye1
Displaced Iowan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Great review.
But it's still pretty competitive option (in terms of $$) for KWV3.
With Dinan, you can adjustable coil over (while keeping EDC functions), front/rear sways and negative camber control arms for same money. So it's pretty good option I think.
You mentioned the camber arms. I wanted to add those too, but both my SA and the guy I spoke with at Dinan recommended against it for a street car. Lowering the suspension already adds negative camber front and rear, so coupling that with the negative camber arms on the front would be overkill (unless you plan to track the car regularly, which I don't). Rear camber is adjustable, but the front is not, so while the camber arms would provide even better turn in and grip, you'd see high wear on the inside of the front tires. I took them at their word, and so far am happy with the results. If it ever stops raining here today I plan to go out and test it some more.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #29
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

great review, thanks.

for the guys with the Dinan sways- have you driven the car on the "stiff" setting? is the switch to the stiff setting DIY or needs to be taken in for adjustment? wondering how dramatic a change it will be.

thanks
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #30
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye59 View Post
You mentioned the camber arms. I wanted to add those too, but both my SA and the guy I spoke with at Dinan recommended against it for a street car. Lowering the suspension already adds negative camber front and rear, so coupling that with the negative camber arms on the front would be overkill (unless you plan to track the car regularly, which I don't). Rear camber is adjustable, but the front is not, so while the camber arms would provide even better turn in and grip, you'd see high wear on the inside of the front tires. I took them at their word, and so far am happy with the results. If it ever stops raining here today I plan to go out and test it some more.
Again- thanks for the great detailed info.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #31
ciscostud
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I am uncertain whether to just get the upgraded front and rear Dinan sways on my non CP M5, or get their coilover too?

Any input from anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #32
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep

^^Same as above. I'm set to the have the swaybars installed by Dinan on thursday. Wondering if I should just get the full coilover suspension installed as well. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #33
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscostud View Post
I am uncertain whether to just get the upgraded front and rear Dinan sways on my non CP M5, or get their coilover too?

Any input from anyone?
I didn't really check the price of them but another option is:
Dinan coilover + Competition package front/rear sways.

This would be great improvement over stock and save some bucks on the sways.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #34
ciscostud
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I hear the Dinan sway bars tame the roll more than the competition bars. I question more if I need to drop the car and the difference in ride quality? Also, the Dinan coilover with substantial install time is the far greater expense. But if its really worth it, its worth it. I don't care about the looks either way though I am worried a little about increased bumper scrape.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #35
Hawkeye1
Displaced Iowan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
great review, thanks.

for the guys with the Dinan sways- have you driven the car on the "stiff" setting? is the switch to the stiff setting DIY or needs to be taken in for adjustment? wondering how dramatic a change it will be.

thanks
I'm told it is adjustable by an average person in their garage, but haven't tried to do it myself yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #36
Hawkeye1
Displaced Iowan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower3330
^^Same as above. I'm set to the have the swaybars installed by Dinan on thursday. Wondering if I should just get the full coilover suspension installed as well. Thoughts?
You'll save some money in labor by doing both at the same time. In retrospect, I wonder if I should have done only the sways first and tried the feel of the car in that configuration before throwing on the coil over kit too. Too late to know.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #37
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscostud View Post

Any input from anyone?
You'll need all the help you can get if you work for Cisco!!

Lol... Just messin. I work for VMware. Cisco is a great partner...no matter what Chambers says publicly!! Lol.

As for your question.... Why not start with one and see how it does. I think I'll first see how I like the car stock. Then of I do something, I'll try the sways first. Then proceed accordingly.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #38
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

The Dinan "Coilover" looks to be a spring kit with bumpstops and adjustable spring perches.
Fixed stiffer springs and ride height adjustment is what you get. Sounds the same as the KW Sleeve Over kit for $500-$600 more.

The Dinan Camber Arms are not adjustable = pointless. You will never need more negative camber up front in this car. Especially when lowering the car via springs, sleeve over or full coilover kit already adds negative camber. What we need are fully adjustable camber arms so we can dial out negative camber.
BMW already has the fixed camber plates, 2 types I think.

The Dinan sways seem to be the same thing as CP sways at more money.
What is out there that compares the Dinan sways to the CP sways and proves better lateral Gs or any scientific difference?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #39
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep

I went ahead and pulled the plug on the sways and coilovers. Installing them this week. Does anyone know what MM spacers people are running with this level of a drop? I want to avoid any rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #40
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
The Dinan "Coilover" looks to be a spring kit with bumpstops and adjustable spring perches.
Fixed stiffer springs and ride height adjustment is what you get. Sounds the same as the KW Sleeve Over kit for $500-$600 more.

The Dinan Camber Arms are not adjustable = pointless. You will never need more negative camber up front in this car. Especially when lowering the car via springs, sleeve over or full coilover kit already adds negative camber. What we need are fully adjustable camber arms so we can dial out negative camber.

What is out there that compares the Dinan sways to the CP sways and proves better lateral Gs or any scientific difference?
I thought the Dinan sways were lighter and stiffer? To me those differences are worth the premium.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #41
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep

Car is at Dinan right now getting sways and coilovers installed. Pretty excited. Will report back with thoughts tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #42
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post

I thought the Dinan sways were lighter and stiffer? To me those differences are worth the premium.
Ignore him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Just compare specs of the bars. It's obvious Dinan is lighter and stiffer from specs.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #43
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
great review, thanks.

thanks
Not DIY unless you have a lift in your garage. You need to be underneath the car to adjust it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 12:41 AM   #44
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Ignore him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Just compare specs of the bars. It's obvious Dinan is lighter and stiffer from specs.
What are the specs? ...since you 'know' what your talking about.
Appreciate 0