Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Actually, you mean if you are scared that it feels like the car is gonna flip over or slide trying to manage the weight in the turns THEN get the M5-lol! (haha-kidding!)

Seriously though...You are thinking correctly about mash and go. That is what the M5 is. I did get bored with it but moreso because I got the M6 which IMO feels a lot more connected to the road and is a lot more fun to drive. I got a 991 (but I still have the F12 M6 cab in the garage). Honestly, I would choose the M5 over the standard Carrera. I would (and did) choose the 991 S over the M5. It is NEVER boring. First car I have bought in a while that I can honestly say that I will keep for a couple of years. I initially just financed it but I ended up liking it so much I just committed and paid it off. Give yourself PLENTY of seat time in both. SUCH different cars. Took me a full 2 months to like the 991 at all. I was laughing at Vic and Bimmer6 about theirs. Then I figured the car out and it blew me away. Still does very time I start it. I have missed my F10 exactly ZERO.

Sorry if this rubs some of you wrong-and I am fully aware that it will but I am qualified to answer honestly having owned both and also having the M6. And I won't stray from honesty to appease people. On that note, have you driven the M6?
Have not driven the M6 but I definitely need to. If there was no M6 and you didn't have it i think you might miss the M5 a little bit. Like you said, they are 2 very different cars. Thats why I kept my statement brief to choose which one based on driving habits. Or you can choose based on needs and preferences which ever one you prefer.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
What delimiter?-lol!

And you probably should get some seat time before you say "blow it out of the water". It is definitely faster in certain ranges. 0-60 the Porsche takes it. Low speed roll-Porsche. After 155 you know the story. You can't talk about what the car "might" do. Talk about what it does and from an educated (ie: experience) standpoint. I actually had a salesman take a C4S out to race me in the M6 cab and at 60-80 mph rolls the M6 IMMEDIATELY jumped 1-1.5 lengths. He did however pull right in behind me and didn't lose much ground past 100. It is definitely not "blowing away." We did these 0-60 tests and low speed rolls as well. So these are actual true statements I am making about the performance of one vs. the other. I was seriously SHOCKED. I will tell you that at those speeds if there is a little traffic the Porsche will weave in and out and lose the M5. I did this with a Shelby recently. He by FAR out powered me as we did some spirited interstate driving and as soon as we hit a little traffic I completely lost him. It was funny watching him try to switch lanes sharply and catch up to me. Honestly, "driving experience" has to do with a LOT more than straight line acceleration.

TO the OP: This decision has a lot more to do with "needs". If you need the back seats and more "comfy" interior and you like the BLAST of power, then the M5 is the easy choice. Pure all-around fun-Porsche no question. I don't find myself even in the M6 much these days either. HOWEVER, "fun" is all subjective. What is fun to YOU may not be fun to ME and vice versa. Spend a LOT of time driving both cars. The could not be any more different. Mash and go in the BMW is intoxicating. The linear power of the Porsche and that roar of the motor behind you, the "tight" quality feel of the car and the handling-wow! Not a tough choice either way if you know what you like. One of them will bring it out in you-the other won't.
Your right, it's not probably not fair enough to say "blow it away". But, we both know its faster then the 991S. I bet your old M5 would indeed blow it out the water though LOL. I don't think it can take the M5 off the line with a decent driver. Low speed rolls though the 991's can definitely take it, just to much wheel spin. 60-80 is a bad comparison IMO because your right on the gear. From a 40-45 the M5 should pull very hard on it. Anyways, I totally agree with everything else you said. I always respect your insight cold even though you might get under the skin of others.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #25
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Op, I still love mine and looking to upgrade to a 2015 or 16 when they are out.
      10-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #26
skrambles297
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 (Black Sapphire) F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ihope
Just wondering how "long-term" owners feel about their cars, after 1+ years of owning it? I recently test drove an F10 and it was undoubtedly the fastest car I've ever driven. I'm just wondering if this is a car that is easy to get bored of? You can only slam the gas from stoplight to stoplight so many times before the thrill wears off.

Reason I ask is because I'm considering a lease, which is a 3-4 year commitment depending on what lease I opt for. Another option is the 991 (non-S). The issue is that I drove the M5 first and I highly doubt a 991 with 210 less horsepower is going to wow me.

I've had torque monsters in the past and the thrill did indeed wear off. I'm just wondering if the M5 offers more in terms of satisfaction to its owners. I'm not trying to discredit the car at all either... it was without a doubt the greatest performing car I've ever driven and 1 day later I am still smitten and can't stop thinking about it.

Thanks in advance!
Not bored yet and I've had mine for almost a year and a half. It's difficult to get bored with a car which is a proper Jekyll and Hyde. If I'm tired, it's a comfortable cruiser which runs seamlessly in full auto. If I want some fun, it's a high-revving, screaming 560bhp monster at the press of a button.
Every night, on the drive home from work, I have the 50/50 experience: an easy cruise through traffic for about 20 minutes, followed by 20-30 minutes of mixed road blasting with everything set to maximum attack.

I use my manual 997 turbo less frequently as it's not fun in London traffic. Although the 911 is a completely different proposition and runs rings around the m5, it does make me appreciate the strengths of the m5: all-round ability, massive acceleration, great sound (albeit a bit muted sometimes), great DCT, comfort, loads of on-board tech toys.

So, still loving it and doubt I'll get rid of it any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

i have to admit i do get a little bored and lazy now that we've been together for 1 year/10,000 miles. so we spice it up sometimes by playing dress-up or i screw on her tow hooks and tie her down. whatever it takes, right?

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Not bored at all. After warming her up I go full attack mode fairly regularly. That, plus a spirited drive with the M5army or a track day every now and then keeps my interest in the old gal high.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
oryshi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10M5/335AH

Yes. A little bored but another 2.5 years to the lease. At least I have the B&O to keep me company.
Why bored? Don't get to exploit the car enough and dislike the understeering nature of the car. My old M6 and M3 never felt this way. Also, my color is boring (moonstone)!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #30
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
i have to admit i do get a little bored and lazy now that we've been together for 1 year/10,000 miles. so we spice it up sometimes by playing dress-up or i screw on her tow hooks and tie her down. whatever it takes, right?
+1
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #31
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I am definitely still in love. This is the first car that I am considering a keeper.
Luxurious when you want it to be and turns into a beast within seconds.
      10-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #32
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

^ 10000%

the more i drive it, the more i love it

14k miles, second service done, all issues finally sorted

more mods coming

definitely keeping it at least for another year
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #33
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

14 months of ownership ... Not a perfect car but it's the best car I have driven thus far in my life.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #34
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Still in love
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #35
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
Your right, it's not probably not fair enough to say "blow it away". But, we both know its faster then the 991S. I bet your old M5 would indeed blow it out the water though LOL. I don't think it can take the M5 off the line with a decent driver. Low speed rolls though the 991's can definitely take it, just to much wheel spin. 60-80 is a bad comparison IMO because your right on the gear. From a 40-45 the M5 should pull very hard on it. Anyways, I totally agree with everything else you said. I always respect your insight cold even though you might get under the skin of others.
the wheel spin is why the 991 takes it 0-60. The 991 has a PERFECT launch. Really grips and goes. Like Is ad, the M5 definitely pulls on it but you would be surprised at how close they are unless you are running a straight run fomr a mid speed to high speed. Then like I said the M5 will pull a length or two fast but the 991 won;t be left in the dust.That also depends on the speed start as well. When we were racing I was really in the perfect gear and he had t downshift it ot get it into the high revs. I pulled hard because I had that torque right in the middle of it's range. Once he got in the right RPMs he stuck to me pretty well. I was very surprised. I was out to prove a point to the sales guy and I realized that it really depends on the situation. It is much easier to screw up with the M5 than the 991. One time I shifted to 2nd too early with the DCT and he left me like I was standing still. The next time it was about as perfect as could be in D3 and he nosed me to 60+. In any case, for overall "experience" as far as "fun" goes. for me it's the 991 easily. Others might be more turned on by the torque of the M5 and choose it instead. Personal choices. That's what makes the world go 'round right?

I get under the skin of others?....Noooooo-lol!

Peace brother!

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic

Last edited by ColdList; 10-21-2013 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #36
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

@Stealth.Pilot @chrisratz

The 2013/4 M5 and the 2014 S63 AMG are really different animals. They are essentially built for different purposes and to fulfill different needs.. each are very good at their "own thing".

MBZ has without a doubt reclaimed their "tech" title for 2014. They are the new leader in technology for the year. The S63's driver assist systems, onboard computer and nav, Bur 3D sound system, etc are huge advancements from 2013. They defiantly surpass anything else in the market.. by a large margin.

MBZ has also stepped it up in terms of quality and comfort. They are on par with Porsche in terms of quality and on par with RR in terms of comfort. MBZ took all the luxuries of the now discontinued Maybach and introduced it to the S Class. If you have the backseat plus package, one would rather sit in the right rear seat first, left rear seat second, and front passenger seat third.

The S63 AMG is really a remarkable car. You have to watch the YouTube videos of the car to see why I said that. They finally ditched the fog lights, upgraded the design to be "meaner", gave it a better transmission.. really fixed a lot of the issues I had with the 2011 and 2013 S Class.

I always liked the idea of having a RR Ghost as a long distance car to bring along a few people.. and having an M5 as a DD. Now I like the idea of a '14 S63 AMG and '13/4 M5 respectively,

Again they are completely different animals. IMO having both makes up the perfect two door garage. Having both plus a 458/MP4-12/Aventador makes up the perfect 3 door garage. Just my opinion of course.

Picking either the S63 or the M5 is to me, like choosing between the M5 and a RR Ghost. It doesn't make sense.. but it makes sense to have both.
      10-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #37
Sejzilla
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: AW 14 M5 ZCP

M5, you wont regret it
      10-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #38
ice7
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M's

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
If you ever get bored press the M button mash the gas and hold on tight. Theres plenty of cars out there strictly one or two dimensional but like everyone said, the five offers the best of all worlds - performance, technology, comfort, luxury with the ability to carry additional 3 to 4 passengers. How do you get bored with that....If you do get bored start modding the car and it'll feel like a different animal.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #39
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

i always love the idea of being BIG and ------FAST
      10-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #40
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

To the OP...

I drove >4 hrs round trip on Sunday just to find a tight, curvy, and rolling road in Alabama that lives up to my East Tennessee standards. >20K miles on the car and still loving it that much!

For anyone that wants a fun Sunday destination:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 533
Size:  89.4 KB

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=AL...via=1&t=m&z=13
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #41
mindlessmark07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Coming up on my 1 year anniversary and I am completely in love with this car. I own other cars, but I choose to jump in the beast each and every morning! Also, even though I live in SOCAL where M5's are hot commodities, I still feel that this is a rare car and rarely do I see other Beasts rollin around town.

MindlessMark07
///2013 M5 Alpine White/Black,Orange County CA\\\
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #42
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

11k miles and still lovin' it!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #43
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Mine is a more of a love hate relationship. Love the fact that I own one, love how it rev's to 7,200rpm with my straightpipes, love how crazy the torque feels no matter if I'm doing 5mph or 150mph, and love how comfortable and luxurious it is.

I hate that I can't drive it to it's max potential as often as I would like anymore. Hate the feeling of my best M5 driving days being behind me, especially after driving it in Europe. Hate worrying about being pulled over every time I drive my M5 for tint and exhaust. Hate the fact of knowing doing over 100mph in the state of VA is an automatic week in jail.

I kind of feel like it's a waste to own a supercar in the body of a sedan when you can't play with it. I've got some track days coming up, but I'm feeling that even those days will be too far and few between.

I would like to keep my M5 until I don't know, the first time a get a ticket for 3mph over the speed limit or for my tint, or whatever Law Enforcement decides to cite me with for some benign reason. Being an enthusiast is much more difficult on the East Coast than on the West Coast. If I do get rid of the M5, I'll be getting something where I won't have a need to throw tint or a crazy exhaust on it, because it will already be awesome from the factory and I'll want everyone to see me driving it. Then I'll just have to worry about getting a speeding ticket on the way to the race track.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #44
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Mine is a more of a love hate relationship. Love the fact that I own one, love how it rev's to 7,200rpm with my straightpipes, love how crazy the torque feels no matter if I'm doing 5mph or 150mph, and love how comfortable and luxurious it is.

I hate that I can't drive it to it's max potential as often as I would like anymore. Hate the feeling of my best M5 driving days being behind me, especially after driving it in Europe. Hate worrying about being pulled over every time I drive my M5 for tint and exhaust. Hate the fact of knowing doing over 100mph in the state of VA is an automatic week in jail.

I kind of feel like it's a waste to own a supercar in the body of a sedan when you can't play with it. I've got some track days coming up, but I'm feeling that even those days will be too far and few between.

I would like to keep my M5 until I don't know, the first time a get a ticket for 3mph over the speed limit or for my tint, or whatever Law Enforcement decides to cite me with for some benign reason. Being an enthusiast is much more difficult on the East Coast than on the West Coast. If I do get rid of the M5, I'll be getting something where I won't have a need to throw tint or a crazy exhaust on it, because it will already be awesome from the factory and I'll want everyone to see me driving it. Then I'll just have to worry about getting a speeding ticket on the way to the race track.
Hot damn...the 991 GT3 looks good in black. May need to rethink my color choice.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0