BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
neurom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 on order

Coding and dealer service question

I have read the DIY coding guides and I am very interested. I know some have posted that they have not had warranty issues. Has anyone gone for service after coding and the service dept noticed it? Have you had any comments/issues from them? Does it really void any warranties, and how? I would think that an engine failure, the worst of the scenarios, would be difficult to link to these type of code changes, but can they link malfunctions in idrive or other computer components to a DIY coding? I really want to do this but would not take any chances to have a service dept charge me for any repair they may claim is due to altering of codes. I appreciate your experiences. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I dont think dealerships are sophisticated enough to notice. I once pointed out the TPMS monitor because there was an error on one sensor, and they didn't notice it shouldn't have the actual pressures and temps.

There have been cases of people needing to reflash the car to restore to normal and warranty covering it.

However you should back up. I try to avoid any trip to dealer because I don't trust them to look after the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

There should be no issues with warranty as long as you stay within the proven/reasonable coding options
For example the automatic folding of mirrors is fine , but it's something you may not want to explicitly point out to the dealer as BMW back in 2010 did actually "disable" the automatic folding of mirrors to reduce warranty claims for mirror motors . Now one can argue you still have the button and can fold them in every time you park/stop but logic does not always prevail

If your car every needs to be reflashed / updated you'll loose your customization and have to re-apply
them. Hence backup is a good thing . There shouldn't be a need to revert to factory setting before
you bring in the car. The exception being that if you changed your VO to add an option it might be safer to revert just to avoid any hassle for an upgrade failing half way through. It should not matter (as the update process will read your cars VO and not compare it to the original one (today) .

Most of the changes you can make via e-sys coding dealers can not even access via their BMW equipment. However they are logged in the system , but they are not exposed/visible to the dealer (likely BMW HW does not have access to the logging info either as it stored by the local OS on the local hard disk).
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
neurom
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for your answers, very encouraging, no fine print. Excuse my ignorance, but what is VO?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurom View Post
Thanks for your answers, very encouraging, no fine print. Excuse my ignorance, but what is VO?
The VO (Vehicle Order) is a list of options that your car should have installed (based on options you selected when ordering the car and what has been configured at the factory/VPC and/or dealer).
In some cases you have to re-write your VO if you want to retrofit options, such as the steering column stalk for the high-beam assist button.
A dealer can also re-write your VO to retrofit options but needs an enablement code
from BMW to do so.
The e-sys software lets you re-write your own VO so you can add options after the fact, which also includes options the dealer would not be able to get through BMW (such as high-beam assist on a F10 M5)

A number modules such as CAS and LMA use the information in the VO to
identify whether a particular option is installed or not.
For example if you don't have a particular option in the VO the corresponding module will
ignore any features/functions/considerations for this function.
Basically the VO is the way to tell the your car about the modules/options that are installed and configured.
The VO also includes other non critical pieces of information such as your original factory color code etc.
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
neurom
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you JMH for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. You have made me wiser. This is very practical info I will be applying.
Appreciate 0