M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Help with aftermarket brake pad fitment

I recently put some Carbotech brake pads and I have an issue where the front brake pad is making a clunking sound going over any decent road imperfection.

My dealer said the issue is with the pads and they don't fight tightly enough. There's about an 1/8 of an inch space on top of the pad bracket (Circled below). And it came move up and down.

Do the OEM pads fit snugly top to bottom against the caliper? Or is something else wrong here?
Attached Images

06-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Didn't get much help from Carbotech. They just said it's probably the caliper or pin. Both of these are brand new.

The tech at the dealer ended up punching the edge of the pads with a metal punch effectively making the metal edge a little longer. Took about an hour and the brake pads no longer move.
      06-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
RevJunky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I had the exact same problem with my Carbotech pads. After speaking to Carbotech about it they said I needed to reuse the backing plate from the OEM pads. They needed to be chiseled off but it wasn't too much trouble. However, the Carbotech pads were 1-2mm too wide so they needed to be sanded down to fit. It did solve the problem though.
Appreciate 0