M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #23
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I have Verizon. T mobile and att both suck but att has Verizon pricing which makes it seem as if they are as good. T mobile has to compete on price because their network sucks. They just acquired some lower spectrum but none of their devices run on it yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #24
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Has anyone jumped on the Xfinity cell service - I have AT&T here in Texas and it works very well albeit as many have said a bit pricey to say the least. On paper I could save a bundle using the Xfinity cell service plan when coupled with our TV/Internet we already have with them - just looks too good to be true and def would worry re international rates etc. which at last look they were anything but clear on. Mainly asking here re nationwide coverage and reliability - very curious to know!
      11-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I looked briefly at the Xfinity service. It's WiFi based. And you have to get phones from them. Enough variables that it wasn't compelling enough for me to take the leap of faith.
Appreciate 1
ciaranob746.50
      11-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #26
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

I can tell you in mid west where I live T mobile slow and no reception.
AT&T is awesome works like charm
I have sprint now its much slower then AT&T/
      11-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #27
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
I can tell you in mid west where I live T mobile slow and no reception.
AT&T is awesome works like charm
I have sprint now its much slower then AT&T/
Sprint within 1 percent of Verizon. That's a joke.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #28
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Not entirely correct re WiFi only i.e. it piggy backs on Verizon's network and only switches to WiFi once in range of an Xfinity server/hotspot. But agree in that the fact you can't bring your own phone is an issue but if you are a low data user (1-2 Gb per month) and already have X1 etc. they have some very competitive plans and an unlimited data option that might make sense - overall requiring new phones (with limited options there) and other details have it side lined for me also at this point. Still curious as to how well the cellular/wifi combo works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I looked briefly at the Xfinity service. It's WiFi based. And you have to get phones from them. Enough variables that it wasn't compelling enough for me to take the leap of faith.
      11-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #29
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Not entirely correct re WiFi only i.e. it piggy backs on Verizon's network and only switches to WiFi once in range of an Xfinity server/hotspot. But agree in that the fact you can't bring your own phone is an issue but if you are a low data user (1-2 Gb per month) and already have X1 etc. they have some very competitive plans and an unlimited data option that might make sense - overall requiring new phones (with limited options there) and other details have it side lined for me also at this point. Still curious as to how well the cellular/wifi combo works!
My understanding is the cost benefits are born out of running on their WiFi networks. Going onto cellular invokes a different cost/plan structure. At least that's my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #30
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Indeed but again it is a combination. Here is one reviewer's description from:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/xfinity...ews-25223.html

Quote" For the most part, Xfinity Mobile works just like any other wireless carrier. The two most notable differences are you must maintain a Comcast subscription and your connection will automatically transfer over to a Comcast Wi-Fi hotspot when one is in range. The latter should typically represent a boost in speed, and if you aren’t on the unlimited data plan, it will help save you data charges. (Several other low-cost carriers, such as Republic Wireless and TextNow, both use this Wi-Fi/cellular approach)." EndQuote

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
My understanding is the cost benefits are born out of running on their WiFi networks. Going onto cellular invokes a different cost/plan structure. At least that's my understanding.
      11-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #31
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

I have direct and current experience with all Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile right now. As stated previously, this completely depends on your region, but as far as New York/Long Island my experience is this. Verizon is best, I have this for my personal/work phone and for the most part, it seems far better than the others. Can't say i never hit a dead spot, but they are few and far between (like in one of the Penn Station tunnels, or shopping malls where nobody has service). My wife has AT&T and it's complete garbage. They throttle her plan down constantly so that it's unusable,voice coverage is horrible, AND the price is ridiculous. Finally, my business phone is T-Mobile which has been very good so far. Data speeds are good, and voice coverage is good. My wife carries this phone in addition to her own, and whenever AT&T fails her, which is quite often, she picks up the T-Mobile and connects no prob.

We're done with AT&T, her next phone will be Verizon or T-Mo.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #32
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Seems odd that AT&T should be so bad in the NY area - arguably the best or equal to in the Houston area so cant really complain other than the cost!! Def area specific - have to say I also like the flat daily rate abroad which I use quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
I have direct and current experience with all Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile right now. As stated previously, this completely depends on your region, but as far as New York/Long Island my experience is this. Verizon is best, I have this for my personal/work phone and for the most part, it seems far better than the others. Can't say i never hit a dead spot, but they are few and far between (like in one of the Penn Station tunnels, or shopping malls where nobody has service). My wife has AT&T and it's complete garbage. They throttle her plan down constantly so that it's unusable,voice coverage is horrible, AND the price is ridiculous. Finally, my business phone is T-Mobile which has been very good so far. Data speeds are good, and voice coverage is good. My wife carries this phone in addition to her own, and whenever AT&T fails her, which is quite often, she picks up the T-Mobile and connects no prob.

We're done with AT&T, her next phone will be Verizon or T-Mo.
      11-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #33
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

My only real issue with At&t was data throttling... scared them with legal action after they were investigated for this on the news... never got throttled again.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #34
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

This is pretty timely about AT&T:

https://www.cnet.com/news/some-at-t-...to-make-calls/
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #35
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

man, at&t is fucking up... miami down here has message delays on LTE like no tomorrow
      12-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #36
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Been with T-Mobile since they were Voicestream. The service has improved SIGNIFICANTLY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #37
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

I have an old school Verizon plan no throttling I can watch Netflix at max quality no problems.
Appreciate 0