M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #45
jbkonis
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 ZCP M3, 15 X5M

After having owned the F10 M5 now for three weeks, I'm sad to report that it's more of an executive luxury car which is very fast, than a straight sports car. The car is too large, as other's have mentioned, feels like seven series, weighs too much, and is not nimble in any way. My E92 M3 was a better car dynamically in every way (except torque).

That being said, I need a four door decent sized sedan for work and family, and the M5 is probably the best mix of everything. What it does best is provide the most complete package. It can cruise like a 7, and be fun to drive when everything is set in its most aggressive mode. The comfort of the seats are unbeatable. The fact that it's the ultimate all a rounder, also means it's the ultimate in compromise. In order to get a good amount of everything (comfort, drivability, speed, handling, etc..), they had to give up a little bit of everything. I guess what I'm saying is it has no distinct feature or sensation, it's soulless.

At this point I'm going to enjoy the car as there's nothing better on the market currently in its price bracket. The only thing that could upset this is the new E63 that's coming out soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #46
Bnicely
Bnicely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Simple: F10 is more like The Cheetah. Classy, Hot, Imposing, Refined (if that word applies to their employees). E60 is more like The Pink Pony, Rough, Raucous, Loud.
So which to I prefer? Love them both. , but very happy with my new Citron Sled.
      02-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #47
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iczer34 View Post
I'm in a similar situation as the OP... I went from E46 M3 > E60 M5 > E90 M3

Now i'm debating whether to jump on a F10 M5 or go non-BMW and get a W212 E63 AMG :P

Sigh....1stworldproblems lol
definately dont get the 2012 e63. its basicly the same as the f10 m5 - same style engine, twin turbo v-8, less than impressive exhaust note, big and heavy

unless you only care about speed and not excitement. get the previous e60 m5, or e63 with the 6.3 n/a V-8 . or better yet, the c63 black series!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #48
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
So I owned a e60 m5 and now an e92 m3 and I absolutely love the entire package that each of these cars brought. It brought me as close to driving a race car around the city as possible and a large part of the aural experience was the brutal gear shifts, the engine screaming to 8400 and simply knowing there was a one of a kind engine in the car that was as close to a race engine as there is aside from a ferrari.

I totally get the e60 is slower in ever measure but for me, the driving experience on a daily basis was way more than the acceleration but much more enjoyable to me was going through a tunnel and hearing the v10 or v8 scream at 8400 with a raspy high pitched race sound (always went catless). The hard shifts of the smg or the dct that just slams the gear home and just the nimbleness of both the e60 and the e92.

It just was a perfect experience and I am wondering if anyone who enjoyed some of those same things is disapointed after buying an f10? Specifically the size, softness of the tranny shifts, lack of screaming engine, lack of high revving engine etc etc

not really dissappointed, but ... well sort of.

i agree with EVERYTHING yo said. i could have wrote that post myself actually. lol

all the things i loved about driving the e60 m5, arent really present when i drive the f10. the f10 is more about posing, kind of. cause you know its the latest, greatest from BMW ///M. but to me its less in line with the true spirit of an ///M car.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #49
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Like u, i am a very huge fan of the screaming V8 in the M3. That's the reason why i kept the M3 even after getting the F10 M5. The M3 offers me what the M5 doesn't, namely:

- a sharper and more feelsome steering
- glorious high revving V8
- induction note
- easier to manoeuvre in tight spaces

The M5 is not a do it all car. It's a car u get if u want something more executive, yet with some fun. It goes like a bat out of hell though and would rape the M3 all day long in the straights. If there is one thing i have to name that disappoints me in the M5, it has to be the steering. It should have provided much more feedback and be sharper.
I could not have said it any better than 'clar'

I have previously owned an e39 M5 and e60M5, and I have also kept my 2012 e92 M3 while getting a F10 M5. The e92 M3 is a "driving pleasure jewel".

If we are just talking F10 M5 vs. e60 M5, the F10 is by far a better car overall, actually the e39 M5 is also a better car overall than the e60 M5. The one and main thing about the e60 is the superb S85V10 engine and its magnificent sound.

The F10 is more of what I want and expect from an M5, just like the e39 was. I got mine with 6MT, and it really elevates the driving experience.

The S85V10 will be one the best engines ever made while the e60 M5 as a whole will be great but not a complete M5...if I have to name it again I would call it an M4 sedan.

F10 M5 = "Luxury Long Range Jetliner"

E60 M5 = "Regional Jet"

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0