M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

12-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Finished Modding my M5 and First Real World Performance Results

Like I have posted in response to Black Markt in another thread and have posted many times in this forum, I am not afraid to make my intentions known. I believe in real world results and not the unpredictable world of dyno machines. All that I really care about with my F10 M5 is the gauranteed generation of power and performance. As you will see in this video, I am like 99% done with modding my F10 M5 cosmetically, and all that I have left to do is to do a matte black wrap on my door chrome. Seems like everybody and their grandma went with the gloss grills from IND, I decided to go with Matte Black for Front and Side Grills for better contrast on the Sapphire Black Metallic. Additionally I tinted the side turn signal light to 35%, I might go darker though. Up next will be lowering springs from Eibach, whenever they get finished designing them. I don't believe in 21" wheels, splitters, oversized diffusers, etc. That stuff just slows you down by adding more weight and greater drag in my opinion.

So the video pretty much speaks for itself.

A couple of things of note here are that in the 2nd pull, the camera car M3 is actually at full throttle and you can see that even with his mods, the results.

When I raced this same Superleggera with my former Full RPi Stage 2 E60 M5, making around 600chp, I would lose to him every time.

So my challenge still stands. I will take on anyone who only has an aftermarket exhaust on their F10 M5 of a different aftermarket manufacturer than RPi. It can be Akroslowvic, Eisenslow, Meisterslow, etc, etc (Haha just kidding around guys). Hell, I'll even race some GTR's tuned, or untuned, just to get a sense of how the M5 performs, but only 60-130mph of course. 0-60 I'll still stand no chance against the GTR. Or any car really, to just get a comparison. When RPi comes out with their GT Down Pipes next year, it'll be a different story though.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Sweet Dave. Looks, sounds, and performs fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
Sweet Dave. Looks, sounds, and performs fantastic.
Thanks bro! My Mika has sure come a long way since Euro Delivery!

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Thanks bro! My Mika has sure come a long way from Euro Delivery!
I am still going in circles on the exhaust. I get my IND matte tips and black badge tomorrow, and I think that I am going to let that soak for a bit until deciding which direction. I need to hear your car
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
I still am going in circles on the exhaust. I get my IND matte tips and black badge tomorrow, and I think that I am going to let that soak for a bit until deciding which direction. I need to hear your car
Don't worry I'll be making full sound videos soon. I've been out of action this week due to fighting a bad stomach flu. I'll get back in the M5 soon enough.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

So with stock everything else and the RPI exhaust what do you think your chp is?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice!

btw we have also done a ton of sets in matte black
      12-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Fly M5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC CP & 2015 M3

Very nice ...can't wait to meet her on sat
      12-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 - ALPINE WHITE

"Akroslowvic, Eisenslow, Meisterslow" ... you crazy bro lol
Wish I could make it on Saturday ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Like I have posted in response to Black Markt in another thread and have posted many times in this forum, I am not afraid to make my intentions known. I believe in real world results and not the unpredictable world of dyno machines. All that I really care about with my F10 M5 is the gauranteed generation of power and performance. As you will see in this video, I am like 99% done with modding my F10 M5 cosmetically, and all that I have left to do is to do a matte black wrap on my door chrome. Seems like everybody and their grandma went with the gloss grills from IND, I decided to go with Matte Black for Front and Side Grills for better contrast on the Sapphire Black Metallic. Additionally I tinted the side turn signal light to 35%, I might go darker though. Up next will be lowering springs from Eibach, whenever they get finished designing them. I don't believe in 21" wheels, splitters, oversized diffusers, etc. That stuff just slows you down by adding more weight and greater drag in my opinion.

So the video pretty much speaks for itself.

A couple of things of note here are that in the 2nd pull, the camera car M3 is actually at full throttle and you can see that even with his mods, the results.

When I raced this same Superleggera with my former Full RPi Stage 2 E60 M5, making around 600chp, I would lose to him every time.

So my challenge still stands. I will take on anyone who only has an aftermarket exhaust on their F10 M5 of a different aftermarket manufacturer than RPi. It can be Akroslowvic, Eisenslow, Meisterslow, etc, etc (Haha just kidding around guys). Hell, I'll even race some GTR's tuned, or untuned, just to get a sense of how the M5 performs, but only 60-130mph of course. 0-60 I'll still stand no chance against the GTR. Or any car really, to just get a comparison. When RPi comes out with their GT Down Pipes next year, it'll be a different story though.

Last edited by BLACK MARKT; 12-06-2012 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
rcesimo
Rep
Drives: N/A

Very nice!

off topic if you don't mind, what's the music in the video?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Looking strong! BTW whats the deal with the flashing hazards? I noticed that when people race
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEOM5 View Post
So with stock everything else and the RPI exhaust what do you think your chp is?
LAKEO Read this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Dudes,

BMWDave here from Sunny San Diego. As the title suggests, I have recently installed my new Full RPi GT Catless Exhaust on my F10 M5.
I got it installed last Tuesday and have been driving with it now for two days. I am a long time RPi customer but nevertheless I will offer an unbiased complete review.

First off we'll go over the data.

BMW rates the stock F10 M5 with the following ratings: 560chp & 502ctq

However independent dyno tests of the stock F10 M5 have shown these disparities of horsepower to the crank:
The lowest I've seen is about: 580chp
The highest I've seen is about: 610chp

The RPi Full GT & GTS Exhaust System: RPi states that a gain of 20-30hp is present with both their GT and GTS system as well as a 40tq gain. So we'll go ahead and assume an average gain of 25hp and about 40tq. The RPi exhaust system completely eliminates the secondary cats and the GT system has no resonators where as the GTS includes the resonators but the resonators have no effect on horsepower gain.

With that here is the projected low and high theoretical F10 M5 horsepower ratings with RPi GT/GTS Exhaust System installed:

By adding an average of 25chp to each low and high rating we get:
1. Low Range: 605chp
2. High Range: 635chp
3. Torque is probably between 520ctq - 550ctq with the exhaust system installed.

Real world experience:

The truth is that I don't have a vbox, and I have never owned one. So I'm thinking about investing in one in the near future. No matter though, after I got the exhaust installed a couple of days ago, I was told to drive the M5 hard for a little while so that the ECU can make its automatic adjustments to the increased airflow that the RPi exhaust system offers. After the first night, to be honest I couldn't tell any difference in power or performance according to my butt dyno. Then came the second night, which was last night. I went to a local car meet last night and on the way there I didn't really push it, but on the way back home, I pushed the car pretty hard. It was late at night, about after 10:30pm and the roads and freeways we're pretty devoid of traffic. It turns out that the ECU does need a couple of days in order to adjust to the new exhaust. With RPi's stated gains, one would think that an addition of about 40tq would definitely be noticable in the car. Afterall, it was highly noticable with RPi's catless GT Headers giving the E60 M5 a gain of about 31tq. So yeah, last night when I was pushing the M5 hard I felt a very noticable difference in the performance of the M5. It was one of those experiences where I was thinking that there was no way that the F10 M5 could get any faster than it is stock, but with the RPi GT exhaust system it definitely is!!! When I was at full throttle, I was like GOOD GOD, this thing is insane!

Concerning the exhaust note and drone. Yes the GT exhaust is absolutely louder than stock. And yes there is a little drone that does occur with the GT system. With the GTS system there is no drone, however with the GT the drone only occurs in a very acute rpm range. The range for drone is exactly between 1,500 and 2,000 rpm. At exactly 1,700rpm the drone is the loudest. In my own opinion though the drone sounds SO good! The little bit of extra sound at that low rpm range is just what the doctor ordered on the F10 M5. With the stock system, the car is so quiet and is the reason why they introduced the artificial engine induction sound throug the speakers. With the RPi GT system, the M5 comes more alive during everyday driving at those low rpm's. Now at higher rpm's the decibel level of the exhaust is much louder than the stock system but there is zero drone at those high rpm's. I revved the engine at a few stop lights and while at the car meet last night, and everyone said that it sounds much much better. I even had some dude tell me not to rev my car at the car meet because it was too loud. Lol! When cruising on the highway at 70mph the drone might bother some people because the rpms are right under 2,000 at 70mph in 7th gear, which is right in the drone range. However, cruising at 80mph in 7th gear there is zero drone because the rpm's are at about 2,100 - 2,200rpms. Even such a slight change in rpms makes a big difference.

So in conclusion, in my personal opinion the F10 M5 needs an aftermarket exhaust, it doesn't matter which kind, only to give it more life, especially at low rpm's. If you want an exhaust system that just sits there and looks pretty, then call Akropovic, but if you want an exhaust system that makes real power, performance and sound, then call Race Precision Inc.

I haven't gotten a chance to take any picture of my exhaust in the daytime because I've been working alot, but here are a couple of pictures and video of my M5 when it was still stock compared to another F10 M5 which has the RPi GT system installed. Mine is the one with the Euro Plates on it. I will be doing a photoshoot of my M5 in the near future when I finish all of my mods. All I have left is my Clear-Bra installation this Saturday then I'm good to go.

Hope you enjoyed the review and have a great day!

One last thing. Don't let the YouTube video fool you. The RPi Exhaust is pretty loud. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
Looking strong! BTW whats the deal with the flashing hazards? I noticed that when people race
Yeah sometimes, just so that something catches people's attention in their rear viewmirror. Even in Mexico they don't always pay attention.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Is that where you filmed the video?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
Is that where you filmed the video?
Sure.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #16
DrewBert
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Comp

So if I buy this exhaust and can't beat my friends 09 lp560-4 will you give me a full refund?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

nice kill!! viva la mehico!

btw i think akraponabitch n eisenmannslaughter seems moar fittin

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

I already read that and that prompts my question.

600hp on old M5 didn't win but 635hp with F10 did? Honest question. Please educate me.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #19
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Ah yes, I see.

Here's what I think.

Two things, drive train loss and torque. I believe that although the F10 M5 is almost 1,000 pounds heavier than the Superleggera it has the torque to make up for it. All of it's torque can be used to give the heavier vehicle a lot of momentum. Additionally, the Gallardo is all wheel drive and suffers from much greater drive train loss than the M5. His Lambo is equiped with the E-Gear transmission and is therefore much slower and less efficient at carrying through the power and torque of the engine to both of his diffs, than the M5to it's single and far more efficient Active ///M Differential. The M5's DCT combined with the active ///M differential allow for far far less drive train loss despite the massive disadvantage in weight. In the end I think it's about efficiency. I'm not sure people understand that it's not just about horsepower and torque, it's about how efficiently a vehicle can use those things that wins races. A perfect example is the Tesla Model S. Zero Drive Train Loss, 100% torque from zero RPM in that thing, weighs 4,600 pounds and still beats an F10 M5 in the straight line.

By the way for those pulls, I was only in S2. I wasn't paying attention while I was driving and forgot to put it in S3. I wonder if there would have been a difference.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #20
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have the RPI GTS Exhaust for the F10. Sounds fantastic, better throttle response. Can't go wrong with it!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #21
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

This is good info RPIM5. Helps me in my decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #22
DrewBert
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Comp

I don't know, I raced my friends stock 09 LP and even with a passenger he whooped me. Even with the egear his shifts didn't seem to lose him any momentum during our run. It seems fishy to me, unless this is an older Lamborghini...

I still say in the spring let me test your exhaust if it makes me beat him I'll pay full price plus 10% and if I lose you can have the exhaust back!
Appreciate 0