M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

02-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
The Goose
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Silverstone Metallic

Educate me on Leasing

I'm considering trading or selling my 2011 550i M sport with Dinan stage 4 tuning. I want to replace it with a 2014 M5 and I am considering lease versus purchase. I have never leased a car and don't have a clue what is a good deal and how it works. Please help me understand how it works and what are good rates on Money Factor, Residual Factor etc...

First offer I have on the table so far without negotiating is $111,725 MSRP and $103,365 selling price. I think I can do better and tend to drive a hard bargain. Money factor is 0.013 and Residual is 55%, 36 months, 15,000 miles per year and monthly payment of $1502.67.

Thank you for the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Where did you get that quote from? Did you try to contact GOLFFRR? He is a good contact with Steve Thomas BMW.

I'll try to explain it to you to the best of my ability. Think of money factor as APR, like 4% APR etc… Residual is what the "value" of the vehicle at the end of the lease. Thus, if you decided to buy it, that would be the agreed price. So in this example of yours, 55% of $103K is $56.6k.

Now, they quoted you .0130. You can actually buy down the rate, by putting multiple security deposits. You can do up to 7 of them. I don't know how much on the M5. Those security deposits are yours to keep at the end.

I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
The Goose
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Where did you get that quote from? Did you try to contact GOLFFRR? He is a good contact with Steve Thomas BMW.

I'll try to explain it to you to the best of my ability. Think of money factor as APR, like 4% APR etc… Residual is what the "value" of the vehicle at the end of the lease. Thus, if you decided to buy it, that would be the agreed price. So in this example of yours, 55% of $103K is $56.6k.

Now, they quoted you .0130. You can actually buy down the rate, by putting multiple security deposits. You can do up to 7 of them. I don't know how much on the M5. Those security deposits are yours to keep at the end.

I hope that helps.
Thank you and it does help. I read about lowering the money factor with refundable security deposits and that seems worth doing. I'm not clear on residual but it seems the lower the residual % the cheaper the buyout will be? Also do they factor residual off purchase price or MSRP?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericg69ss View Post
Thank you and it does help. I read about lowering the money factor with refundable security deposits and that seems worth doing. I'm not clear on residual but it seems the lower the residual % the cheaper the buyout will be? Also do they factor residual off purchase price or MSRP?
That I am not sure whether the negotiated price or MSRP.

Did you contact GOLFFRR?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

What you need to know about leasing:

1. Residual and money factor are set by BMWFS. Dealer might try to mark up MF. Don't allow it.

2. Negotiate the lowest possible purchase price (cap cost) that you can.

3. Do not put any money down (no cap cost reduction).

4. Put as many MSDs down as you can afford (you get it all back).

5. You can do a lease with Euro Delivery.

6. Contact GOLFFRR for the best deal!
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
The multiple security deposit is a great investment. It equates to a 9% to 10% guaranteed return based on the lower monthly payment. You should do it.

The residual is based off of MSRP. So every dollar you negotiate off of the purchase price comes out of the depreciable amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post

1. Residual and money factor are set by BMWFS. Dealer might try to mark up MF. Don't allow it.

This list is spot on for the key things to do when leasing.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
The Goose
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the responses and I will print out that checklist. I'm undecided on leasing or purchasing but leaning towards leasing for the first time. Now I need to decide on color and if the competition package is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:

pretty much sums it up

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Thank you for the responses and I will print out that checklist. I'm undecided on leasing or purchasing but leaning towards leasing for the first time. Now I need to decide on color and if the competition package is worth it.
If you have not already, read through this thread:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734047

If you plan to keep the car at least 3 years, and the money factor on a lease and the finance rate are roughly equal, you should lease. Embedded in the lease is a free put option at the end of 3 years, so if you get a lemon or the market value of the car tanks you can simply give it back to BMW. On the other hand, if you want to keep the car you can always buy it out at the end of the lease (and frequently you can buy it out for less than the residual value!).
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Best calculator - http://www.th**********calculator.com It has been exact every time. If the dealers number are different then they are playing games with you. I use it w/ my iPad while working on the deal in the dealers finance dept.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:

This is pretty much spot on.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

An auto lease is really just a financing broken into two parts:

Part 1: you are renting the car for the lease term. The const of renting the car is the purchase price (or Cap Cost) less the residual value with an interest charge equal to the financing rate (or money factor). In other words, if you lease a $100k car with a 55% residual for 36 months, you are effectively borrowing $45K ($100k purchase price less the $55K expected value of the car at the end of the lease) and making periodic payments, not much different than a mortgage loan.

Part 2: You are borrowing the amount of the residual value (in our example, $55K) on a bullet loan basis: meaning that you will make interest only payments during the life of the lease and then must pay the residual back in one lump sum at the end. Only, in this case, you have the option of satisfying that payment obligation with cash or by delivering the car.

In most circumstances, leasing allows you to get more car for less money in the short term but will be more expensive in the long term. However, depending on the MF and the residual value, leasing can be a cheaper financing alternative. In many cases, manufacturers don;t want to give big discounts on their flagship cars because of the optics. Another more subtle way to make the car more affordable is to provide leases with inflated residuals. This means the company will take the hit at the end of the lease, but it allows them to defer that discount and keep up the "prestige" of certain models.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

If all this info is correct, then I may be able to afford more car then I thought. I am going to do a ED with a Ind paint and Ind trim....I wish I could get the total break down so I can see what I can truly afford.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #14
sparky12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I'm a little unclear about not putting down money to reduce the cap cost. Can someone explain?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
AAMC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Putting money down on a lease is not recommended to reduce the cap cost. If you happen to get into an accident where the car is totaled, you would lose that money. I never pay anything up front other than first month's payment and fees.
Appreciate 0