Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Extended warranty?

Anyone looked into extended warranty for the car? Heard the BMW plans are really expensive. Found this: http://www.paragonmotorclub.com/warr...ract010108.pdf

Any experience with these guys? No idea on cost - asked for a quote. Don't want to own a car this sophisticated without warranty on it...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
Anyone looked into extended warranty for the car? Heard the BMW plans are really expensive. Found this: http://www.paragonmotorclub.com/warr...ract010108.pdf

Any experience with these guys? No idea on cost - asked for a quote. Don't want to own a car this sophisticated without warranty on it...
I am going to create a super-thread on Extended Warranty for the F10 M5 in the near future. I may be the first one to go out. I like to drive a lot. I'm already at 42,400 miles on my 2013 M5 and I'm pretty sure I'd like to keep it at least until the next generation M5 comes out.

There are lots of option for extended warranties. Unfortunately though, based on what some 2011 BMW 550i owners are already being quoted, these companies are going to be charging a lot for M5 extended warranties. Plus I also think the M5 in general got a black mark from these companies because of the E60 M5 and it's abysmal reliability, so they are probably going to carry that mindset over to the F10 generation of M5.

So far though honestly, I haven't had a single major issue and I haven't heard of anyone having an engine die on them due to a bad rod bearing or their DCT take a dump and having to be completely replaced. There may be a few owners out there that have had a couple of major issues like electrical or software gremlins that render their M5 inert, but they are the exception and not the rule.

Truth is though, and I'll reiterate this in the future, is that there aren't really any high mileage long term owners out there yet, past 50,000 miles. Time will tell, but I have a good feeling with this generation M5. I think it's going to be a lot more reliable than the E60 M5. A lot.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Dave I will pass you up on mileage very soon as I'm at 35k. Too many country runs and going to Austin to eat. Houston has treated my car well with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

I didn't have too bad of luck with my E60. Fuel pump went out and of of course we did have the VANOS recall, but I never had mine spray oil. I had almost 90k on my '06 before I traded her in for Emma v2. Didn't regret purchasing an extended warranty at all, and I do think the F10 is a better built machine vs E60.
      08-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post

I am going to create a super-thread on Extended Warranty for the F10 M5 in the near future. I may be the first one to go out. I like to drive a lot. I'm already at 42,400 miles on my 2013 M5 and I'm pretty sure I'd like to keep it at least until the next generation M5 comes out.

There are lots of option for extended warranties. Unfortunately though, based on what some 2011 BMW 550i owners are already being quoted, these companies are going to be charging a lot for M5 extended warranties. Plus I also think the M5 in general got a black mark from these companies because of the E60 M5 and it's abysmal reliability, so they are probably going to carry that mindset over to the F10 generation of M5.

So far though honestly, I haven't had a single major issue and I haven't heard of anyone having an engine die on them due to a bad rod bearing or their DCT take a dump and having to be completely replaced. There may be a few owners out there that have had a couple of major issues like electrical or software gremlins that render their M5 inert, but they are the exception and not the rule.

Truth is though, and I'll reiterate this in the future, is that there aren't really any high mileage long term owners out there yet, past 50,000 miles. Time will tell, but I have a good feeling with this generation M5. I think it's going to be a lot more reliable than the E60 M5. A lot.
That's great and comforting to hear. I am more concerned with the repair on electronic goodies on the car - getting mine equipped with drivers assist, exec, b&o and likely night vision. I don't like to see any warnings or faults and immediately make a run to dealer if there is one (do most preventative services). Have heard from folks talk about issues with b&o rattle. Have you had any issues with that?

Great idea for a central extended warranty thread.

Paragon never got back to me with a quote. Guess they don't want to insure it!
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0