Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-14-2016, 02:56 AM   #1
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

This car has ruined me

I share driving duties with the F10 M5 and my GT4 and I have to say, this M5 is FAST.

I know some of you have chipped yours, but not sure how you still have your drivers licenses. I would have to imagine the next gen M5 is going to be faster, but where do you draw the line?

Loving this thing while I still have it
Appreciate 1
sdf10m536.50
      08-14-2016, 04:42 AM   #2
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Hopefully no more power but lighter/sharper.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

Agreed. Where I live, i think the stock power is plenty fast. Id like to see if they can get it to as nimble as a M3/M4 level.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Let's hope the next series isn't as hard as this one to decrypt to load new tunes. I imagine over time the challenges will increase to load aftermarket software. I imagine the F10 M5s will be hard to beat for some time.
      08-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
fhaze3
GLG-20
Rep
Drives: 18 Ram 2500 Ltd,e30 M52 Track

I think I read that they will keep the s63tu. Maybe a slight bump in power.

It needs to go on a diet, and have much improved steering feel . I miss my e90 M3's steering feel. I also miss my 6 modes of DCT.

In the m5, DCT auto-mode 1 is fine for casual cruising, mode 2 is ok, mode 3 hangs on to 2nd gear waaaay too long IMO. Its fine if I'm gonna leave my foot planted until 3rd, but I don't/can't always do that and I wind up short shifting manually into 3rd. I'd love to have 4 or 5 modes.

..and to the purists who only drive in S...I find myself hanging out in the sweet spot and driving like a hooligan, and my avg consumption goes to shit
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Sheer luck
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
Eddybro
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne e90 and SG e92

I'm already done with the stock power levels lol. I'm waiting for more. Can't wait for Mike at BPM to tune it.
      08-15-2016, 05:29 AM   #8
DingolfingLove
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

As soon as I think I would like more power, I think of all of those youtube videos where it all goes badly wrong - my favourite is an orange M4 that accelerates on a straight, oversteers, does not get corrected & goes over a central reservation, gets air & lands very heavily on the front right corner !!!

Stock power is enough for me!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #9
smoorebmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 - F80 M3 (GF's)

They really need to go back to the days when the m's had their own special engine. Why not bring back the v10 and truly make the m5 a unique car, seriously not sure how much longer I can stay true to BMW if they continue down this wrong path

Grave Yard - 2014 BMW 640i - 2007 BMW 335i - 2006 BMW M5 - 2003 Infinti G35 - 2002 BMW 740i - 2002 CBR 954r - 2000 BMW 540i - 2000 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
Db750278.00
      08-16-2016, 12:04 AM   #10
Eddybro
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingolfingLove
As soon as I think I would like more power, I think of all of those youtube videos where it all goes badly wrong - my favourite is an orange M4 that accelerates on a straight, oversteers, does not get corrected & goes over a central reservation, gets air & lands very heavily on the front right corner !!!

Stock power is enough for me!
That's like saying your gonna pay more taxes because you make more money.. I don't understand either of those equations.. I'll have more money and more power everyday please lol.
      08-16-2016, 01:30 AM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan
Let's hope the next series isn't as hard as this one to decrypt to load new tunes. I imagine over time the challenges will increase to load aftermarket software. I imagine the F10 M5s will be hard to beat for some time.
You all are silly if you think even for a minute BMW is going to have the same level of encryption on the next M5 as they do on the current S63tu. Yes the next M5 will most likely use another derivative of the S63tu but it will be tuned and designed differently for the next M5 and this also means brand new encryption on the DME's. Even the current 340i with that new engine has completely different encryption on it. It's going to take another 3-4 years probably, before tuners are able to figure out how to tune the next M5 engine, and that will be after the car makes its debut next year.

The next M5 will still be the benchmark and leader in its class when it is unveiled next year and will be better in every measurable way than a stock F10 M5, I won't be buying one though because I just don't think I can get over them using another version of the S63tu. The fact is though that the whole industry is changing and M Division has to succumb to producing an engine that is even more fuel efficient while at the same time cuts costs. They no longer have the freedom to design a 3.0L Twin Turbo V10 engine that is 30% more fuel efficient than the S63tu. Gone are the days we will ever see anything exciting come from ///M. The terrible sounding S55 was just the beginning, and what they put in the M2 is not even a real fully developed M engine. Mark my words, that one day we will witness an M5 that is full electric. I just hope I'm not around when that day comes.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #12
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
You all are silly if you think even for a minute BMW is going to have the same level of encryption on the next M5 as they do on the current S63tu. Yes the next M5 will most likely use another derivative of the S63tu but it will be tuned and designed differently for the next M5 and this also means brand new encryption on the DME's. Even the current 340i with that new engine has completely different encryption on it. It's going to take another 3-4 years probably, before tuners are able to figure out how to tune the next M5 engine, and that will be after the car makes its debut next year.

The next M5 will still be the benchmark and leader in its class when it is unveiled next year and will be better in every measurable way than a stock F10 M5, I won't be buying one though because I just don't think I can get over them using another version of the S63tu. The fact is though that the whole industry is changing and M Division has to succumb to producing an engine that is even more fuel efficient while at the same time cuts costs. They no longer have the freedom to design a 3.0L Twin Turbo V10 engine that is 30% more fuel efficient than the S63tu. Gone are the days we will ever see anything exciting come from ///M. The terrible sounding S55 was just the beginning, and what they put in the M2 is not even a real fully developed M engine. Mark my words, that one day we will witness an M5 that is full electric. I just hope I'm not around when that day comes.
Sad thing is one day people will wonder why would anyone bother to drive at all, but I am pretty sure I won't be around by then.

Last edited by Phatcat; 08-16-2016 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
DingolfingLove
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddybro View Post
That's like saying your gonna pay more taxes because you make more money.. I don't understand either of those equations.. I'll have more money and more power everyday please lol.
I accept you have a point....but isn't power is nothing without control relevant ?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #14
Eddybro
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I accept you have a point....but isn't power is nothing without control relevant ?
Just gotta get better tires, better suspension and maybe better brakes.
      08-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
DingolfingLove
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interested in tyres - aside from PZero's or MPSS, what else is there?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #16
Eddybro
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interested in tyres - aside from PZero's or MPSS, what else is there?
R888 or Mickey thompsons for drag. I believe allmotor_2000 is running thompsons.

PSS is pretty much one of the best.

I'm running p-zeros and I love them. Came from PSS
      08-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat
Quote:

Sad thing is one day people will wonder why would anyone bother to drive at all, but I am pretty sure I won't be around by then.
That's a true statement too. Car companies including Uber are investing millions into self driving cars. In the future, it may not even make sense to actually buy a car when u can call an Uber and the car will drive you to your destination, but these will be for people who only see cars as a utility and not as a performance machine.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #18
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
That's a true statement too. Car companies including Uber are investing millions into self driving cars. In the future, it may not even make sense to actually buy a car when u can call an Uber and the car will drive you to your destination, but these will be for people who only see cars as a utility and not as a performance machine.
+1
      08-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #19
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:

On the electric comment, my understanding is that there is a target deadline for Tesla to sell 500,000 vehicles pa by 2018 and BMW is targeting 100,000 electric vehicle sales pa by 2020..
      08-22-2016, 11:41 PM   #20
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan
Quote:

On the electric comment, my understanding is that there is a target deadline for Tesla to sell 500,000 vehicles pa by 2018 and BMW is targeting 100,000 electric vehicle sales pa by 2020..
Exactly. Mercedes is even starting their own electric brand too. Many other car companies are introducing electric cars too. The world is changing. Sigh.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:49 AM   #21
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

If you're talking about the B series Benzes, they're running Tesla powertrains.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #22
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I'll be all of u guys uber driver. Power unlimited. Right foot planted to get you in a hurry to your destination. Classy comfort w banging tunes to scroll through. This will be a non smoking drive save for the intended rear wheel spin.
Appreciate 0