09-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #45
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
I have silverstone for a month for for on the m5, kicking my ass... does bmw make some kind of seat cover or coating... anything??
http://opticoat.com/page/opti-guard-leather
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #46
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

I have Silverstone on my M6 GC.

14,500 miles in 9 months.

G Technic Leather Guard (nano protection) once so far.

Clean every 3/4 months with Dr. Leather cleaner.

Leather looks and feels brand new...and there's a LOT of leather in this car !
      09-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #47
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

I have Silverstone on my M6 GC.

14,500 miles in 9 months.

G Technic Leather Guard (nano protection) once so far.

Clean every 3/4 months with Dr. Leather cleaner.

Leather looks and feels brand new...and there's a LOT of leather in this car !
      09-16-2016, 04:52 AM   #48
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I would say user error not bmw fault - in 40 years I have never seen leather like this unless it was on a VERY old car like a modle T in a barn find!

OP you will get no where with BMW, you have admitted to using a non-bmw product on your seats, no matter how how good a quality the produst is and what it says on the tin... BMW spell this out in the owners manual and warranty T&C's
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #49
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
43,000 km in 1.5 year, you sure have been driving a lot and that leather damage is most likely due to you giving the car to random car washes who in turn have exposed it to chemicals. To compare and share my experience, my car is also 1.5 years old with 14,000 km on it and there is not a single scratch, literally in perfect condition. I always buy and use BMW's own cleaning products and use it on everything covered with leather in the interior at least once a week, at the same car wash where guys wash the car with a lot of care.

To compare, I noticed you drive 535i, not M5. Are you sure the quality of leather is the same? Maybe you'd get better replies and info from 5 series forum too.
I agree. There is some abuse going on here. This wear is not normal. My seats have 8500 miles on them and look brand new - literally there is no difference between the seats now and when I got the car at the Welt.
Good job, but what's your secret to keeping them looking new

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #50
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
I have silverstone for a month for for on the m5, kicking my ass... does bmw make some kind of seat cover or coating... anything??
Kettle Steamer with white terry cloth. Easily lifts off all grime including dye transfer on light colors, causes the soft lamb skin to tighten back up, and leaves no residue behind. Follow up with a dab of Swissvax Leather milk. No need for sealers or chemical cleaners.

My M5 has Graphite Interior but the hydes are still as perfect now as they were 20k mi ago.

The BMW products are from Sonax and don't do well on Analine Merino.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #51
ur20v
Captain
Rep

^^^ which is fine as long as you don't have a problem, if you use the BMW product and have a problem because this product was an issue its still BMW's issue and not yours. If you use anything not on the approved list you are on your own, just like engine oils etc.

Don't for get chemical transfer could be the cause here i.e fly spray, sun cream, spray tan, chemicals from work or local area the car is used, also from clothing. These could come from the owner, service, valet parking or even the wife using hair spray, makeup, perfume etc
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 02:26 AM   #52
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
^^^ which is fine as long as you don't have a problem, if you use the BMW product and have a problem because this product was an issue its still BMW's issue and not yours. If you use anything not on the approved list you are on your own, just like engine oils etc.

Don't for get chemical transfer could be the cause here i.e fly spray, sun cream, spray tan, chemicals from work or local area the car is used, also from clothing. These could come from the owner, service, valet parking or even the wife using hair spray, makeup, perfume etc
Probably why BMW Individual recommend and Rolls Royce is partnered with Swissvax. Soft leather will wear well if properly cared for with minimal use of cleaners and conditioners.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 04:37 AM   #53
ur20v
Captain
Rep

Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #54
100%Cocoa
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black/Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post

What he said. This is not normal!
Appreciate 0