BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

Can F10 M5 LED headlight be height adjusted?

My car is lowered and i had the lights coded right when i got it so i don't exactly remember driving at night with OEM lights but it feel that the lights are not pointing enough in the distance. As if they are pointing too low.. if high beams come on then its all good, but under low beam they just don reach far enough.. has anyone experienced anything similar? Also does anyone know if there is a manual leveler for headlight beam up/down or is this all done through coding?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Redrckt135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5 & 17 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg
My car is lowered and i had the lights coded right when i got it so i don't exactly remember driving at night with OEM lights but it feel that the lights are not pointing enough in the distance. As if they are pointing too low.. if high beams come on then its all good, but under low beam they just don reach far enough.. has anyone experienced anything similar? Also does anyone know if there is a manual leveler for headlight beam up/down or is this all done through coding?

Thanks!!
Yes they can, when I got my car new they were aimed lower and could only see about 20 feet in front of me. Take the car to the dealer and tell them that the headlights need to be aimed higher up, they should know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 03:33 AM   #3
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

You can do it your self.

I did mine in the garage (you can use a wall, just needs to be repeatable for distance)- headlamps on and put two pen marks on garage wall/door - open hood, lift flaps above each head lamp and turn screws (marked below) clockwise to raise (same for each side). Don't go mad, just raise 1/2" /1cm and try- road test at night and see if thats right for your drop/rake, readjust as nessacery. Just do the same number of turns for each side to keep them level.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 03:34 AM   #4
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I think it was a 6mm allen key.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 03:54 AM   #5
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
You can do it your self.

I did mine in the garage (you can use a wall, just needs to be repeatable for distance)- headlamps on and put two pen marks on garage wall/door - open hood, lift flaps above each head lamp and turn screws (marked below) clockwise to raise (same for each side). Don't go mad, just raise 1/2" /1cm and try- road test at night and see if thats right for your drop/rake, readjust as nessacery. Just do the same number of turns for each side to keep them level.
To add, open the door, turn the ignition on, roll down the drivers window, then turn the ignition off and close the door. From outside, reach in, turn the ignition on, then place the light switch to headlights on (DO NOT ADJUST THE HEADLAMPS IN AUTO MODE). Wait 80 seconds for the headlights to go into diagnostic mode (a series of clicking sounds will occur during this time).

As an additional note, coding to activate Glarefree/no-dazzle high beams on US F10 LED does NOT enable correct functionality.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 12:57 AM   #6
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for input!! Before I adjust anything "lemetier" i didn't understand your post; are you saying an adjustment could be made without adjusting the dial manually on each headline? I tried driving today with light stalk on for auto high beam and light switch in auto position as usual, high beam indicator came on but no high beam still pointing down and can't see jack 20ft ahead
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 02:21 AM   #7
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg
Thank you all for input!! Before I adjust anything "lemetier" i didn't understand your post; are you saying an adjustment could be made without adjusting the dial manually on each headline? I tried driving today with light stalk on for auto high beam and light switch in auto position as usual, high beam indicator came on but no high beam still pointing down and can't see jack 20ft ahead
They'll have to be adjusted manually. To do so requires the steps I stated above, otherwise the alignment will be off and the car will fight against the adjustment.

There is an electronic adjustment procedure to correct static the ride height point, however, coding a car in attempts to enable the Glare-free/No-Dazzle high beam Assist (which does not work) inhibits this procedure from completing due to the errors caused by invalid coding.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #8
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep

just an update to this. I didn't get a chance to follow these instructions yet, however I was getting an alignment done the other day and the shop advised that headlight brackets were installed upside down?.. this explains why headlights were faced downward so far. They installed them in the correct position. The shop who installed my coilovers initially didnt put headlight level brackets back the proper way.

The light spread is now much better than before.. however I still think lights could be facing up more, so i'll try the manual adjustment technique mentioned in this post and advise the outcome.

Honestly, when i compare my 2015 Escalade light spread to my M5 it looks like M5's headlights are turned off
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
just an update to this. I didn't get a chance to follow these instructions yet, however I was getting an alignment done the other day and the shop advised that headlight brackets were installed upside down?.. this explains why headlights were faced downward so far. They installed them in the correct position. The shop who installed my coilovers initially didnt put headlight level brackets back the proper way.

The light spread is now much better than before.. however I still think lights could be facing up more, so i'll try the manual adjustment technique mentioned in this post and advise the outcome.

Honestly, when i compare my 2015 Escalade light spread to my M5 it looks like M5's headlights are turned off
Definitely need to adjust something, I have 35% windshield tint and I'm still able to see far ahead.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post

Hey...so what's the status? Did you perform the manual adjustment? Did anything improve?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep

didn't end up looking for manual adjustment and realized you cannot compare it to trucks height.. so once the brackets for headlight levelers were reversed lights were back to normal..
Appreciate 0