M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
emFiveLA
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5 F10

Owners of rpi gts or eisenmann sports

Can you comment on your level satisfaction? If you're looking for a subtle loudness increase over stock, but want the upgrade to be worth it in terms of sound quality, which one would you recommend?

Which one is louder on the cold start too? The cold start on this car is already so loud, so trying to find the one that doesn't increase it as much.

Looking for getting something basically like the akrapovic without spending that much money.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by emFiveLA View Post
Can you comment on your level satisfaction? If you're looking for a subtle loudness increase over stock, but want the upgrade to be worth it in terms of sound quality, which one would you recommend?

Which one is louder on the cold start too? The cold start on this car is already so loud, so trying to find the one that doesn't increase it as much.

Looking for getting something basically like the akrapovic without spending that much money.

Thanks!
If you want a subtle increase in loudness within the cabin but much better sound quality, the Eisenmann sport is for you. IMO it is the exhaust BMW should have fitted to this car. The quality is amazing (you will notice it when you look at the cans and the fitment). The sound is deep and authoritative - very German. It sounds a lot like a Porsche Panamera Turbo.

Unfortunately the cold start is also louder.

You're in LA. I'm sure you can find someone with this exhaust to give you a taste.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Cars and Coffee Irvine. Every Sat 6:30am. You should get to hear a lot of F10 M5 exhausts.

Out of the 2 you posted, I would choose the E-Sport. I don't think the GTS has valves (does it?), and that helps a lot with cold start. Or find a used Akra...that's probably an even better option.
      05-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Fly M5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC CP & 2015 M3

I have the GTS and it does not have valves. It does get loud during cold start.
My work is next to downtown..let me know if you want to come by.
      05-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Eisenmann Sport + Eisenmann center pipes. Best of both worlds. Aggressive when you get on it but no cabin sounds when cruising around town.

05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
emFiveLA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Eisenmann Sport + Eisenmann center pipes. Best of both worlds. Aggressive when you get on it but no cabin sounds when cruising around town.

what's the difference with or without center pipes?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Nate@IND
Rep

Quote:
what's the difference with or without center pipes?
The setup is about 20% louder with the center pipes installed. The Eisenmann Sport rear section has the same DB level as OEM but with a different tonality.
      05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
emFiveLA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
The setup is about 20% louder with the center pipes installed. The Eisenmann Sport rear section has the same DB level as OEM but with a different tonality.
Is it true the db is the same with oem with just the cans? I heard it was noticeably louder.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Nate@IND
Rep

Quote:
Is it true the db is the same with oem with just the cans? I heard it was noticeably louder.
The sound is different which makes the tone seem noticeably louder. The Sport level is street legal in Europe and the db levels are the same as OE.
      05-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I have the Rpi Gts soon adding the straight pipe version. The Gts is a great pipe just like the above mentioned pipes. It does not have valves and inside the cabin sound is very nice especially when you get down on it. Its not too loud or too quite. To me, it all depends on what type of sound you are looking for. As mentioned, at their Irvine cars and coffee go there to sample all the various pipes. That will help you out the most. We all have sound bites on here of our pipes and they all are good as you cant go wrong with any of them.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
emFiveLA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly M5 View Post
I have the GTS and it does not have valves. It does get loud during cold start.
My work is next to downtown..let me know if you want to come by.
Thanks for letting me hear your car today. Great setup you have there!

I really liked the rpi gts, sounded louder than I thought it would be but reasonable at the same time. More resonance at low rpms than claimed i think but i havent heard an aftermarket exhaust with at least some resonance below 2,000 rpms on this car. Wondering how it compares to the eisenmann sport in terms of loudness and resonance.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #12
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I listened extensively to sounds clips online off all exhausts (Idle, revving, driving, in cabin outside cabin, etc) before purchasing the RPI GTS system.After I purchased, I can say that I love it. It has a nice deep growl, not raspy or obnoxious. No drone, can have family in the car and it's not over the top, but sounds nice and aggressive when flowing.

The design looks a lot better for efficiency and great price. I liked the look of the mufflers better too. Has a nice aftermarket look over the OEM stamped look. Just my personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Here is a video from inside my car. Not bad at all.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
emFiveLA
Private
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. One question on the cold start, would the eisenmann sport be quieter since it retains the valves or is it not noticeably quieter than the rpi?

Also on fitment, it seems both of these systems' tips protrude a bit from the bumper...can they be installed to fit more recessed?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emFiveLA
Thanks for the feedback. One question on the cold start, would the eisenmann sport be quieter since it retains the valves or is it not noticeably quieter than the rpi?

Also on fitment, it seems both of these systems' tips protrude a bit from the bumper...can they be installed to fit more recessed?
Yes, any exhaust with valves will be quieter on cold start. That's exactly what the valves are for, and they make a big difference.

Yes, the tip placement can be adjusted when clamping the rear mufflers down - you can choose to make them stick out more or less.
      05-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

My Eisenmann Sport with non-resonated x-pipe is relatively quiet inside the cabin until you push the loud pedal. Then it's perfect for my taste. More assertive than aggressive. Def more noticeable than stock. No drone whatsoever at any RPM or throttle position. It just sounds smooth and purposeful and yes noticeable. I like that I can control if I get noticed or not. Cold start is a bit more noticeable over stock but that only lasts 30 seconds until the revs fall. I agree with others that the e-sport should have been factory.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #17
emFiveLA
Private
Rep

2 questions....

On the topic of drone, isn't there some drone with all of these aftermarket exhausts below 2,000 rpms? I've been hearing a lot of resonance, vibration, etc. at low rpms on all these exhausts. I'm a bit perplexed when some say there is no drone etc on some systems when my experience is just the opposite. The m5 just seems to have a tendency to have it below 2k rpms.

Secondly, do the valves on the eisenmann sport help on that cold start? Or is it only a slight insignificant difference than those systems (particularly the rpi gts) that does not have these valves.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #18
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
2 questions....

On the topic of drone, isn't there some drone with all of these aftermarket exhausts below 2,000 rpms? I've been hearing a lot of resonance, vibration, etc. at low rpms on all these exhausts. I'm a bit perplexed when some say there is no drone etc on some systems when my experience is just the opposite. The m5 just seems to have a tendency to have it below 2k rpms.

Secondly, do the valves on the eisenmann sport help on that cold start? Or is it only a slight insignificant difference than those systems (particularly the rpi gts) that does not have these valves.

Thanks
Rob should comment on this, but I understand the Sport should be quieter than the Race on start, however, make no mistake - the Sport will grab attention during the start - it is a lot louder than OEM.

Drone usually refers to constant noise at cruising rpms. These exhausts don't have that. They have a few seconds drone when downshifting at low rpms.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
emFiveLA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Rob should comment on this, but I understand the Sport should be quieter than the Race on start, however, make no mistake - the Sport will grab attention during the start - it is a lot louder than OEM.

Drone usually refers to constant noise at cruising rpms. These exhausts don't have that. They have a few seconds drone when downshifting at low rpms.
Thanks for the feedback. On the drone, I guess that's where the confusion can be...since there is some drone in some range on all of these aftermarket exhausts, like 1,500 to 2,000, if you happen to be cruising in that range, you are experiencing drone IMO. That being said, this "drone" or resonance isn't necessarily a bad thing for this car. That's a little of what seems to be missing actually on the stock sound, but I guess that's where subjectivity comes in.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
I feel like I've said this already, but maybe not. The E Race has a very loud cold start. Louder than Sport. Sport has half as many exhaust pipes open for noise to escape, so the valves make a difference. It's pretty irrelevant to me though, as it only lasts 20 seconds.

In summary: you should buy E-Race rear mufflers. If you are too concerned about noise, you should go Sport with eisenmann center pipes ... That costs 2k more though. Sport cans alone are not enough IMO.
      05-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #21
emFiveLA
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the comments. Anyone in/near la that I could meet up with to hear the eisenmann sport? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #22
emFiveLA
Private
Rep

Went for the rpi gts and really enjoying it. Still getting to know the exhaust, but I agree, no drone during cruising but does have some resonance at lower rpms, but definitely less than the other options. I think if anyone is looking for that subtle increase over stock but still wanting a noticeably aggressive and louder sound, the rpi is an awesome choice. Great fitment and hoping those dynos are correct. Wished the stock came out like this. Thanks for all the feedback!
Appreciate 0