M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-06-2020, 12:36 AM   #1
UnopposedCheeseBurger
Private
Rep
Drives: _

Coming up on 70k miles. What should I prepare for?

Got a 2013 F10 M5 that is coming up on 70k miles. I haven't owned it for long, but an oil change is coming up, and probably new rear brake pads/calipers as well.

Since i'll probably be taking it into the dealer, i'm curious if you all recommend anything to be looked at/done at the same time when it comes to this mileage.

It drives great, I haven't had any problems. I've kept the car stock. Though i'm starting to notice signs that it might have been modded before by the previous owner.

Dealer aside - if you have other recommendations to watch out for when reaching 70k miles i'm all ears.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:35 AM   #2
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

I would do the following for POM (peace of mind)

* replace all spark plugs and coil packs
* flush and refill rear diff fluid
* flush and refill brake fluid
* oil change with Blackstone analysis

Optional :
* replace fuel injectors
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:48 AM   #3
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

I'd be looking at doing a DCT service aswell.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:16 AM   #4
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
It really depends on what has been done for maintenance so far. For example, if you just did all of the fluids at 50k, most of them don't need to be changed again yet. Since you haven't owned it long, I'll assume you don't have maintenance history. These are things that should be considered if you don't know when they were serviced last, if at all:
-Engine oil/filter
-Engine air filters
-Cabin air filter
-Brake fluid flush
-Check protection level of coolant
-DCT fluid/filter
-Rear differential fluid
-Spark plugs
-*ignition coils
-*injectors
-*MAF sensors
-Primary/precat O2 sensors

Fluids/filters are what they are. Do them or don't do them yet; if you need to spread out some of the work you could forgo some of them until next oil change or two.

I highly recommend the precat O2's and spark plugs be changed this time around. You should notice an improvement in "driveability" especially if the O2's are original. The MAF's are another area that could show better performance after 70k miles. I've replaced everything mentioned above at slightly different times and noticed at least a small improvement each time... small improvements I didn't think the car needed!

*I hate replacing parts "just because", but the coils are known to fail and if you buy them from RockAuto they are dirt cheap. The injectors are another crap shoot. If you don't have problems with them, you could probably wait longer before replacing. You won't save that much labor (if any if you don't watch what they bill for) by doing them at the same time as the plugs/coils.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
UnopposedCheeseBurger
Private
Rep

Thanks everyone. This is a great list i'll use to check things off. I had some of these in mind and so it's good to see others bring it up as well. Open to recommendations on what else to service/watch out for.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #6
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

Start a savings account for a replacement engine, especially if you don't have extended warranty.
      04-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfM5 View Post
Start a savings account for a replacement engine, especially if you don't have extended warranty.
Or just replace the conrod bearings.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58412.50
      04-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
It really depends on what has been done for maintenance so far. For example, if you just did all of the fluids at 50k, most of them don't need to be changed again yet. Since you haven't owned it long, I'll assume you don't have maintenance history. These are things that should be considered if you don't know when they were serviced last, if at all:
-Engine oil/filter
-Engine air filters
-Cabin air filter
-Brake fluid flush
-Check protection level of coolant
-DCT fluid/filter
-Rear differential fluid
-Spark plugs
-*ignition coils
-*injectors
-*MAF sensors
-Primary/precat O2 sensors

Fluids/filters are what they are. Do them or don't do them yet; if you need to spread out some of the work you could forgo some of them until next oil change or two.

I highly recommend the precat O2's and spark plugs be changed this time around. You should notice an improvement in "driveability" especially if the O2's are original. The MAF's are another area that could show better performance after 70k miles. I've replaced everything mentioned above at slightly different times and noticed at least a small improvement each time... small improvements I didn't think the car needed!

*I hate replacing parts "just because", but the coils are known to fail and if you buy them from RockAuto they are dirt cheap. The injectors are another crap shoot. If you don't have problems with them, you could probably wait longer before replacing. You won't save that much labor (if any if you don't watch what they bill for) by doing them at the same time as the plugs/coils.

Good luck!
Don't replace your injectors prematurely. They are probably covered by BMWs 10yr/120k warranty (double check because it's specific to production date). I had my injectors replaced free of charge when they failed. Coils are ticking time bombs on these cars, if you can, do coil and spark plugs.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...38372-9999.pdf TSB

Also OP, stay away from the dealer if you are trying to save a bit. Go with Zimmerman rear rotors, they are almost identical.
      04-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #9
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperF10 View Post
Don't replace your injectors prematurely. They are probably covered by BMWs 10yr/120k warranty (double check because it's specific to production date). I had my injectors replaced free of charge when they failed. Coils are ticking time bombs on these cars, if you can, do coil and spark plugs.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...38372-9999.pdf TSB

Also OP, stay away from the dealer if you are paying cash and don't have a warranty. Go with Zimmerman rear rotors, they are almost identical.
I'd say the injectors are more of a ticking time bomb, one of those goes and chances are you've ruined your engine. A coil goes and you've got a misfire and a very simple fix.
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
///M_life
Private
Rep
Drives: M6, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I'd say the injectors are more of a ticking time bomb, one of those goes and chances are you've ruined your engine. A coil goes and you've got a misfire and a very simple fix.
Any signs of injectors going bad? Feel like you would know before blowing the engine. there is an extended warranty to 10yr/120k. Obviousely if modded then you chance not having things warrantied
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #11
///M_life
Private
Rep

Also have a 2013 M5. What causes these to fail? Poor fuel? do they just get clogged?
I only use Shell 91 gas and run a fuel injector cleaner every 3k. Not sure the cleaners make much difference
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 02:33 PM   #12
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nsterm5 View Post
Also have a 2013 M5. What causes these to fail? Poor fuel? do they just get clogged?
I only use Shell 91 gas and run a fuel injector cleaner every 3k. Not sure the cleaners make much difference
No I wouldn't use cleaners. Using the best fuel you can get will certainly help an injector last longer but not guaranteed.

Injectors can fail in multiple ways, the worst way being stuck open and filling the cylinder full of fuel, causing hydro lock. This will usually result in a bent rod or a rod exiting the engine, piston and cylinder damage can occur also without the failure of a rod.

I might be changing mine in the future as preventative maintenance.

I would imagine BMW would cover injectors under their extender warranty but its very unlikely that they will pay the full amount for a new engine because of a failed injector. To my knowledge that particular BMW bulletin has not been issued in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
No I wouldn't use cleaners. Using the best fuel you can get will certainly help an injector last longer but not guaranteed.

Injectors can fail in multiple ways, the worst way being stuck open and filling the cylinder full of fuel, causing hydro lock. This will usually result in a bent rod or a rod exiting the engine, piston and cylinder damage can occur also without the failure of a rod.

I might be changing mine in the future as preventative maintenance.

I would imagine BMW would cover injectors under their extender warranty but its very unlikely that they will pay the full amount for a new engine because of a failed injector. To my knowledge that particular BMW bulletin has not been issued in the UK.
Anything that causes them to become stuck open though? Would you notice anything before you just suddenly blow the engine?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #14
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Anything that causes them to become stuck open though? Would you notice anything before you just suddenly blow the engine?
Internal failure due to corrosion or erosion, the internals need to move freely in order for the injector to function, if something gets stuck inside (in the open position) then fuel just flows through and out of the nozzle.

In the early days before failure you may notice the occasional misfire but again you may not.

The biggest contributing factor is the type of fuel used. I only use shell V-power and that's all I've used in 2 years of ownership (except the odd time when I've been caught out nowhere near a shell garage). I don't know what previous owners have used though.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #15
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Internal failure due to corrosion or erosion, the internals need to move freely in order for the injector to function, if something gets stuck inside (in the open position) then fuel just flows through and out of the nozzle.

In the early days before failure you may notice the occasional misfire but again you may not.

The biggest contributing factor is the type of fuel used. I only use shell V-power and that's all I've used in 2 years of ownership (except the odd time when I've been caught out nowhere near a shell garage). I don't know what previous owners have used though.
The Chevron Techron stuff is great to keep your fuel system clean. Run every 3k miles or so. But i only use Shell 91 as well. All new BMW cars say to only use Shell gasoline on the inside of the gas cap. Ive used Mobil, Shell, Chevron, Phillips 66. Just dont use the small shop gas stations that are privately owned or like 7-11. Those arent top tier. Shell v-power is the best in my opinion though
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #16
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
The Chevron Techron stuff is great to keep your fuel system clean. Run every 3k miles or so. But i only use Shell 91 as well. All new BMW cars say to only use Shell gasoline on the inside of the gas cap. Ive used Mobil, Shell, Chevron, Phillips 66. Just dont use the small shop gas stations that are privately owned or like 7-11. Those arent top tier. Shell v-power is the best in my opinion though
Yeah so Shell say and the racing fuel is some concoction.They don't actually say why v-power is so good self congratulating themselves in literature.I'm a realist.
Appreciate 1
Fast.F10512.50
      04-22-2020, 09:43 PM   #17
UnopposedCheeseBurger
Private
Rep

Addressing the Injectors - would taking the car to a shop for fuel/air induction cleaning be an option instead? or is it just better to swap out with new Injectors?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:43 AM   #18
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnopposedCheeseBurger View Post
Addressing the Injectors - would taking the car to a shop for fuel/air induction cleaning be an option instead? or is it just better to swap out with new Injectors?
If the wear has already started to occur then it will carry on, the components inside the injector will move in such a way that the wear will become worse over time, despite cleaners etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #19
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Injector cleaner may/may not help. An "induction service" is a waste of money. I'm sure the procedure is different from brand to brand, shop to shop but back when I worked at a dealer, the induction service was not very helpful/didn't really do much.

Re: injector warranty - always an option to wait for one to fail. Just know that BMW will try their hardest to deny a new engine claim if said bad injector hydrolocks your engine. Also, they only replace the failed one and nothing else. IMO for the relatively cheap cost of new Bosch injectors and the peace of mind that comes with it (and potentially restored power or driveability), it's not worth pinching pennies by holding out for extended warranty
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58412.50