08-27-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
I know there isn't too many options available for this platform but wanted to know feedback on different intake setups. Front mount vs engine bay vs drop in's... reliability wise!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-27-2022, 04:32 PM   #2
FrozenSolid
Frozen_Solid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Frozen Bronze Metallic M5

I'm running front mount titanium intakes from Apexbuilt, fitment was on point and they look sound amazing.
Attached Images

08-27-2022, 11:17 PM   #3
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenSolid View Post
I'm running front mount titanium intakes from Apexbuilt, fitment was on point and they look sound amazing.
They sure look puurtyyy
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:58 PM   #4
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

I'm running Eventuri intakes for several years now, I really like the cf and craftsmanship, plus intake sound. The front mount intakes do sound more aggressive, but are not road legal here in Germany.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 01:25 AM   #5
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Stock cause I live in cali 😂
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #6
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstm5 View Post
lol the same!

Back to the question, what do you want to get out of them? I haven't seen any meaningful dyno slip showing gain with aftermarket intake compared to stock with removed charcoal filters. From my understanding stock were design pretty good and car didn't need more. Again that might change if you go to big turbo and need more airflow
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 09:59 AM   #7
m5bbq
Private
Rep
Drives: M5's

does eventuri sound any different from stock? I'm looking for the best induction sound. Don't really care for more hp.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #8
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
Quote:
Damn they cracking down on you guys over there huh 😭
Appreciate 1
fstm5145.50
      08-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #9
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5bbq View Post
does eventuri sound any different from stock? I'm looking for the best induction sound. Don't really care for more hp.
Best looking / performance wise is Eventuri. Best overall sound wise is MSR.. Best bang for buck or by popular demand is project gamma. Thats some reviews i've collected from a couple people running those brands
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 10:09 AM   #10
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Personally, I wouldn't change my Venturi's for anything.

Yes the Project Gamma front mounts are a bit louder, and yes they are cheaper than Eventuri.

However, you really can see where the money is in the Eventuri setup. It is a work of art with faultless craftsmanship. The PG system is half the price but less than a quarter of the quality in my eyes!
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 11:25 AM   #11
Kamate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m6

RK Autowerks intake, and I live in CA.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 01:10 PM   #12
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamate View Post
RK Autowerks intake, and I live in CA.
Let me guess, you haven't had to do inspection in person as probably you got the car during Covid. just wait, as you are in Bay Area you know that police even started pulling over people on 9/35/Alice and checking for intake and aftermarket exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #13
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post

Yes the Project Gamma front mounts are a bit louder, and yes they are cheaper than Eventuri.

However, you really can see where the money is in the Eventuri setup. It is a work of art with faultless craftsmanship. The PG system is half the price but less than a quarter of the quality in my eyes!
I second that in a heartbeat, Eventuri is the benchmark. And it won't affect emissions!
In Germany, basically every modification has to be approved and added to your equipment list, otherwise you lose road legality and insurance coverage. Here, only Eventuri is able to provide the necessary paperwork plus the emissions pass.
Appreciate 2
m5rosco210.50
      08-28-2022, 01:24 PM   #14
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post

Well said, I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels like that
Appreciate 1
m5rosco210.50
      08-28-2022, 02:37 PM   #15
Kamate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Let me guess, you haven't had to do inspection in person as probably you got the car during Covid. just wait, as you are in Bay Area you know that police even started pulling over people on 9/35/Alice and checking for intake and aftermarket exhaust.
I don’t have a problem smog check with my intake. If your exhaust is way too loud then you deserve the ticket, but it is not illegal in CA to have aftermarket exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 03:57 PM   #16
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I don’t have a problem smog check with my intake. If your exhaust is way too loud then you deserve the ticket, but it is not illegal in CA to have aftermarket exhaust.
Consider yourself lucky, that no one has flag you. There isn't approved aftermarket intake for M5 in CA. So your smog check either don't know or haven't got in trouble yet. I don't worry about my exhaust it is CARB approved and came with the car. Just because s you haven't been caught doesn't make it legal. We all make a risk calls and decide how much we want to push it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 04:43 PM   #17
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
lol the same!

Back to the question, what do you want to get out of them? I haven't seen any meaningful dyno slip showing gain with aftermarket intake compared to stock with removed charcoal filters. From my understanding stock were design pretty good and car didn't need more. Again that might change if you go to big turbo and need more airflow
The only reason I'd wanna change it is for the sound

I seriously doubt it makes any difference in performance in comparison to stock
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 04:46 PM   #18
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Who told you it's not illegal? ANY modification to the exhaust system is illegal and any modification to internal or external in the motor that isn't OEM or OEM approved/ carb legal is illegal

It's just a matter of if you get caught or not and in the main cities of California, they are cracking down hard
Appreciate 1
crazyinp298.00
      08-28-2022, 04:58 PM   #19
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
lol the same!

The only reason I'd wanna change it is for the sound

I seriously doubt it makes any difference in performance in comparison to stock
PG or any other you have to put the filter behind the front grills would be PITA to swap for inspection.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #20
Kamate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Who told you it's not illegal? ANY modification to the exhaust system is illegal and any modification to internal or external in the motor that isn't OEM or OEM approved/ carb legal is illegal

It's just a matter of if you get caught or not and in the main cities of California, they are cracking down hard
Dude, stop spreading nonsense.
The sale and installation of an aftermarket exhaust system remains legal in California so long as it does not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under SAE J1492
A full cat back aftermarket exhaust is perfectly legal in CA as long it is under 95-decibels as stated above. You can’t modify anything before the catalytic converter, you can however install aftermarket exhaust AFTER the cat and it’s perfectly legal.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 05:54 PM   #21
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dude, stop spreading nonsense.
The sale and installation of an aftermarket exhaust system remains legal in California so long as it does not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under SAE J1492
A full cat back aftermarket exhaust is perfectly legal in CA as long it is under 95-decibels as stated above. You can’t modify anything before the catalytic converter, you can however install aftermarket exhaust AFTER the cat and it’s perfectly legal.
Vehicle Code 21750. Adequate muffler required
27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Vehicle Code 27151. Modification of exhaust systems
No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

There is no aftermarket exhaust on this planet for these cars that does not surpass 95 decibels

Unless youre drivin your mommas prius

You wanna argue with the cop that your exhaust doesn't pass 95 decibels? sure go ahead, get hit with a state ref and go get dinged for ANYTHING that is not OEM, including tints, ECU tunes, etc.

So yes, ILLEGAL
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 03:50 PM   #22
TaboutWEALTH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Comp

Project Gamma Intake, Customized the filters
Attached Images

Appreciate 1