M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-09-2022, 01:10 AM   #1
LaCuRa
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

In search for better Brake Pads

I am looking to replace my brake pads, my car currently has 72k, I replaced the rotors & pads almost a year ago around 67-68k, OEM BMW M5 rotors was installed with Hawk Ceramic Compound Performance Brake pads. The reason I am looking to replace the brake pads because I noticed I have to apply more pressure then usual to the brake pedal to come to a stop, I compared my current setup with 3 other m5 to make sure i wasnt going crazy, my Mechanic suggested in replacing the brake pads so here I am in search for better brake pads, I currently have Hawk hb828z.760 & hb820z.675 because of the low dust and low noise, please let me know what you guys recommend, thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 07:39 AM   #2
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

For (very) low dust and noise folks seem pretty happy with the Carbotech 1521s (Bobcats). That said, i can't say if they'll feel like they bite better or worse than the Hawks you have. Can be hard to get low dust/low noise and lots of bite.
      09-09-2022, 09:20 AM   #3
m5bbq
Private
Rep
Drives: M5's

I heard good thing about carbotech too. Hawk makes nice pads but they make few different variant suited to different purpose. Sounds like you have their "high temp" pad which needs heat to bite. It doesn't have good bite when they're cold like when you're driving on the street. They make street pads which should work lot better when they're cold like OEM. I run HP+ and it works well for the street.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 12:35 AM   #4
LaCuRa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
For (very) low dust and noise folks seem pretty happy with the Carbotech 1521s (Bobcats). That said, i can't say if they'll feel like they bite better or worse than the Hawks you have. Can be hard to get low dust/low noise and lots of bite.
thank you, I will look into these. My boy said the same if i get brake pads with low dust /low noise then the stopping distance will not be too good
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 12:38 AM   #5
LaCuRa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5bbq View Post
I heard good thing about carbotech too. Hawk makes nice pads but they make few different variant suited to different purpose. Sounds like you have their "high temp" pad which needs heat to bite. It doesn't have good bite when they're cold like when you're driving on the street. They make street pads which should work lot better when they're cold like OEM. I run HP+ and it works well for the street.
I will look into Carbotech & also do some HW on he Hawk pads I currently have, I have no complains when I'm just doing local driving, but i notice when im on the highway and have to come to a sudden i have noticed its not that great
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 07:36 AM   #6
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C4S

Maybe bleed the brakes. This usually helps with pedal feel. GL.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 07:54 AM   #7
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
I used Akebono pads on my previous F82 M4 and they stopped exactly like OEM but night and day difference with brake dust. Ran them for 20k miles and no problems at all.. definitely recommend
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 10:43 PM   #8
LaCuRa
Rep

I asked my mechanic about bleeding the system he says the brake pedal feels good and recommend on just changing the brake pads, after doing some HW I noticed I did kind of order the wrong brake pads, so I just order the other set of HAWK pads and also decided to replace the brake lines with Stainless Steel Brake lines from G-Stop, I know the brake lines are not the issue but decided to just replace them, I will keep you guys posted on what is the outcome once everything arrives and gets installed
Appreciate 2
m5rosco210.50
M5Rick60069.50