M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

12-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #23
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

There will be plenty of opinions on the B&O system and it's a very personal decision based on your preferences and expectations.
I also ordered the B&O but my view is slightly tainted as I am used to high end car audio (once owned a car stereo shop in Germany) and therefore my expectations are somewhat higher than most.

So caveat emptor when you go past this line as I am sure the information below will be only of use/interest to a very small number of folks

However the reality is to improve a system like B&O one has to spend disproportional amounts of money as audio doesn't scale very linear when it comes to prices/sound quality
Overall the B&O is probably good enough for 98% and in my case I mainly bought it for it's design aspect and slightly improved sound over the factory / standard system.

As has been mentioned it is more sensitive to recording quality but it's sound quality can certainly use some improvement in particular in the high and low frequency department.
Ironically the "worst" feature of the B&O system is also the main reason we all bought the system, it's the speaker covers which are aluminium and having them covering the speakers does significantly reduce sound quality (for a fun experiment you could remove the covers and I bet you'd be amazed how much sound will improve, however it won't look as good anymore ) .
Also the components themselves are not of very high quality but B&O is all about design/function not about using the best components (also true for the home entertainment products).
In order to improve the B&O system I've decided to go a route which will retain (most) of the B&O design and will also some refinement for the highs and low frequency part.

For the highs/mids I plan to buy a set of B&O grills and have the center part covering the speaker milled out and replace it with proper speaker cloth, this should improve clarity and defintion. Phase 2 would be improved speakers such as Focal's K2 or BE series (very different price point to the K2s).

For the low frequency to improve definition and reduce the distortion of the OEM system a custom subwoofer box is being constructed to fit into the passenger foot-well. This complements nicely the factory under the seat subwoofers.

The upgraded amplifiers can be nicely mounted under the rear parcel shelf and covered by an OEM looking cover.

Hth,
Jan
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #24
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

I have an audiophile system at home (Linn turntable, B&W speakers, etc.), and I have the B&O system in my M6, and am extremely happy that I ordered the system. Music on CD, or stored on the car's hard drive, sound particularly good, with good high end and low end clarity. Also, you can feel the bass through the front seats if you crank it up. Definitely worth getting, and you will not regret your decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #25
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

I have heard both. The standard one was very good, but the B&O is better. I have the B&O now and I am happy with my decision. Yes, it's expensive but if you often listen to music and prefer it loud, then the B&O is what you will appreciate. You don't really notice what it's capable of and what you paid for until you really crank it, then all the little articulate sounds come to life with vibrancy. As far as the EQ settings go, this is indeed key. It took awhile to find a versatile sweet spot. IMO the highs could be a bit overbearing.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
I have heard both. The standard one was very good, but the B&O is better. I have the B&O now and I am happy with my decision. Yes, it's expensive but if you often listen to music and prefer it loud, then the B&O is what you will appreciate. You don't really notice what it's capable of and what you paid for until you really crank it, then all the little articulate sounds come to life with vibrancy. As far as the EQ settings go, this is indeed key. It took awhile to find a versatile sweet spot. IMO the highs could be a bit overbearing.
And this is one of the great fallacies of audio perception -- that quality is heard at high volume. Great audio systems sound fabulous at any volume, and if you only hear a difference when it's loud, you're probably experiencing the placebo effect -- unless your only point is that B&O can play at higher volumes before getting distorted.

I listened to both systems, and keep in mind that the US-spec M5's base system is NOT the same as the base for other M5 specs around the world; we get the "Premium Hi-Fi System" standard, which slots between the true base system and B&O. Unless you're listening to music like classical or jazz with "natural" instruments (as opposed to electric guitars and synthesizers), or tracks sung by people with complex voices like Ella Fitzgerald or Diana Krall, I don't think you'll notice the B&O difference compared to the Premium Hi-Fi; can't speak for the true base system as I'm in the US. And even then, you'd need to be using high quality sources like high bitrate tracks served up over USB, no 128 Kbps MP3s or even Bluetooth Audio.

And even after all that, is the difference worth $3700? Not to me. That could buy a pretty spectacular aftermarket setup even factoring installation costs in.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #27
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
And this is one of the great fallacies of audio perception -- that quality is heard at high volume. Great audio systems sound fabulous at any volume, and if you only hear a difference when it's loud, you're probably experiencing the placebo effect -- unless your only point is that B&O can play at higher volumes before getting distorted.

I listened to both systems, and keep in mind that the US-spec M5's base system is NOT the same as the base for other M5 specs around the world; we get the "Premium Hi-Fi System" standard, which slots between the true base system and B&O. Unless you're listening to music like classical or jazz with "natural" instruments (as opposed to electric guitars and synthesizers), or tracks sung by people with complex voices like Ella Fitzgerald or Diana Krall, I don't think you'll notice the B&O difference compared to the Premium Hi-Fi; can't speak for the true base system as I'm in the US. And even then, you'd need to be using high quality sources like high bitrate tracks served up over USB, no 128 Kbps MP3s or even Bluetooth Audio.

And even after all that, is the difference worth $3700? Not to me. That could buy a pretty spectacular aftermarket setup even factoring installation costs in.
You seem to be more knowledgable than I when it comes to Audio. This is an instance of different consumers perception. I always listen to it with my ipod plugged in via USB. I listen to a variety of music (no country and no classical) I'm 32 years old and have been pretty harsh on my ears for quite sometime between shooting guns, motorized equipment, and always listening to music loud. So perhaps maybe I need it to be loud for my ears to pick up on certain frequencies. Anyway, happy holidays.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #28
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I have owned a lot of nice cars with nice systems including 7 AMG's, 5 M's, 3 Porsche Turbos and a choice few others. Most of them had the higher end systems when optioned.

As much as I may not say I care about the clarity of a system; I do. But it takes, for me, sustained perspective. After I drive my CLS63 or C63 Black Series or my Porsche Turbo (which all have good H&K or Bose systems) and then get in my M5 and hear the B&O I realize its money that was spent well.

Im not a supreme audiophile but I do have a discerning ear and can clearly tell that the B&O is at a level above the others. If you are just into playing the music hard and loud or want ghetto thumping bass this system may not be for you. But if you want crisp high range tweets, great voice directed mids, and solid lows, then this is it. I think most of us only hear it once and then move thinking its too much but after you spend a few thousand miles in the car over a period of months and then have the real life perspective of switching from one car with a high end system to another with an even higher end system in the same day; you will be very happy.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I have owned a lot of nice cars with nice systems including 7 AMG's, 5 M's, 3 Porsche Turbos and a choice few others. Most of them had the higher end systems when optioned.

As much as I may not say I care about the clarity of a system; I do. But it takes, for me, sustained perspective. After I drive my CLS63 or C63 Black Series or my Porsche Turbo (which all have good H&K or Bose systems) and then get in my M5 and hear the B&O I realize its money that was spent well.

Im not a supreme audiophile but I do have a discerning ear and can clearly tell that the B&O is at a level above the others. If you are just into playing the music hard and loud or want ghetto thumping bass this system may not be for you. But if you want crisp high range tweets, great voice directed mids, and solid lows, then this is it. I think most of us only hear it once and then move thinking its too much but after you spend a few thousand miles in the car over a period of months and then have the real life perspective of switching from one car with a high end system to another with an even higher end system in the same day; you will be very happy.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #30
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post

Very well said. I am happy with my B&O and that's all that matters. Listening to some "Two Steps from Hell" on the B&O while on a canyon run breaks my epic meter every time.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #31
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
With the exception of UCLA95, everyone here who has B&O is very happy with B&O.

So the choice ultimately boils down to price. If you want a significantly better audio system, you can get B&O. The other one is fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #32
mdm0515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2013

Bought it. Love it. If you can afford it, why not?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #33
Tomcat2048
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Have it in my car, sounds absolutely wonderful. I would say it is a good option to have over the stock system (I have heard both). If $3700 is the only issue, then you probably shouldn't be buying this car in the first place. In the grand scheme of things...it isn't a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #34
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

you guys are so high maintenance.. music to me is an italian v8 and a british twin turbo v8 singing behind my head.. and to think my old Challenge Stradale didn't even come with a stereo! the lunacy...

that's it.. carry on!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #35
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post

Overall I agree but I highly doubt one will get a spectacular aftermarket system or any system which is better than the B&O for 3700$ installed.
If done right and using good/great components an aftermarket system will surely cost north of 3700$ fully installed (labor alone won't be cheap, if done right)

So as stealth and others have summarized for 3700$ the B&O is a good choice and will give the "best" bang for the buck if you want something better than the OEM system.
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #36
LTDPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC & 2013 BMW M5

Thanks to all your comments and input, i've decided to move forward with getting the B&O. I am in fact looking for something better then the OEM system and will therefore pay the extra 3700
I really feel like I've made the right decision based on my needs thanks in large parts to the comments i've read on this thread.
Thank you all for taking the time, and happy holidays.
Best Regards
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #37
mtdavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M6 Convertible

I think the B&O is way better than my 2007 M6 premium audio... tighter bass... doesn't distort. I like it! (although haven't heard standard system).
      12-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #38
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis1981
Thanks to all your comments and input, i've decided to move forward with getting the B&O. I am in fact looking for something better then the OEM system and will therefore pay the extra 3700
I really feel like I've made the right decision based on my needs thanks in large parts to the comments i've read on this thread.
Thank you all for taking the time, and happy holidays.
Best Regards
Congrats. Good move
      12-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #39
DoctaM3
500+ HP Club
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i8; 2023 BMW M4 CSL

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [0.00]
2008 Audi S6 V10  [0.00]
2014 BMW i8  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [0.00]
I got the B&O system and would do it again. Having driven a car without it, I would say get it if you are a music lover.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #40
Mahafsc
Rep
Drives: M5

The B&O sound system is fantastic. I chose it over full leather and have no regrets. I knew it was something special when I saw my fifteen year old take his friends out to the garage just to listen to their music. The bass response is phenomenal. This system definitely brings a smile to your face very time you get in the car. If you love music, get it. Also, everyone that gets in the car asks about it because of it's distinctive look.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #41
jdco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Garage List
2019 BMW I3S Rex  [0.00]
2015 BMW I3 Rex  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
I love my B&O system and think it was worth every penny
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #42
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Crap... Now I want it!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #43
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

@Niko - be sure to check out the regular F10 forums for the proper equalizer settings for the "standard" M5 audio. It is an upgrade on the other cars. I did this, and frankly, it made a HUGE difference in the sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #44
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

If I'm honest with myself, when I saw the "Rising Tweeter," I had to have it. It was that simple. It is deliciously over the top and completely uncalled for.

I think it sounds awesome, but if the gadget factor doesn't turn you on, you should pass.
Appreciate 0