Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-10-2014, 03:14 AM   #1
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

M5 vs RS7 vs E63 vs XFR-S in CAR magazine

Thought I'd share this comparison test with you guys.

They're not to impressed with the appearance of the car:

-Least visually interesting performance car it's possible to buy
-Less presence than a 520d M Sport
-(Which makes it perfect for humiliating unsuspecting Porsche driver)
-Any more more discreet and the thing would be opaque

But like the DCT:

-This is the best transmission here by miles, pulling off a much better impression of a traditional automatic car's low-speed refinement than the others do, while none of them can match the M5's sabre-sharp cog swaps.

Not fans of the steering either, but credits it with incredibly balanced handling and no roll whatsoever. The CCB stops it like a HGV (truck) sand trap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I don't think I would swap for any of these over the m5. Only thing would cause me to change would be requiring more space then I would probably go for the rs6 avant(wagon).

Jag looks like a ford Mondeo.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

"we don't like the oppressively heavy steering"... this is where articles like this that don't provide necessary context drive me nuts.

They obviously know the steering weight is adjustable "sprained wrist to full on hernia" - did they adjust it? What setting was it in? Some needed detail would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
"we don't like the oppressively heavy steering"... this is where articles like this that don't provide necessary context drive me nuts.

They obviously know the steering weight is adjustable "sprained wrist to full on hernia" - did they adjust it? What setting was it in? Some needed detail would be nice.
I thought the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Look at that Audi roll!
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

To me there is context

Ben Barry had a M5 as a long term test car for the magazine and they used his experience as a reference on how the LCI CP felt. They wrote that he "definitely could feel some improvements in the chassis, especially the steering. Which still isn't that nice, in any of it's three modes, which vary from sprained wrist to full blown hernia".

So, they definitely feel some improvements in the chassis and it's abundantly clear that they talk about the steerings different modes when commenting on it. It's just to heavy in their opinion, regardless of mode...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
"and those mechanical competition pack changes are too subtle, to the point that you may as well save yourself a wad of cash and buy yourself a standard M5."
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
"and those mechanical competition pack changes are too subtle, to the point that you may as well save yourself a wad of cash and buy yourself a standard M5."
Like that?
I didn't do it and have regrets !!
Exhauste is nice in Non CP but want louder sometimes everytime I floor it to be specific -
But 7k and not interested in 601 being not forged !! Doubt it, but better steering too..

I would take article like that with a Bag Of Sea Salt -
Since Jag looks bad, more aggressive but generic!!
AMG hideous is a complement and I had E550 coupe 2010 before and loved its curves more than M5!! Audi RS7 is a Polarizing yet innovative model so I won't comment but I am one of the haters as an owner but an admirer as a model out there that looks that unique!! and by Audi a company that I respect yet hate it's dealers!! And lease offers !!

Love CLS looks BTW more than M5 so not just being biased here -

Last edited by soooma; 03-10-2014 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I agree. There's only 2 items in the CP that drivers would even notice on a daily basis - steering feel and exhaust noise.

Some minor steering feel improvements (which are very minor given they updated the steering in the non-comp LCI as well to be more direct) and a slightly louder exhaust aren't worth the price they're charging.
Appreciate 0