BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Just_Joe_M5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Loving my LCI M5 CP but really regretting not getting CCB. When the brakes are warm - they're fine but they feel very "spongy" for the first few stops. I think this adds to feeling the heavy weight of the car under routine driving conditions. Given what I've read, CCB takes out this variability (or am I wrong> ) I knew that CCB really made a difference in fade (after hard driving) which is why I didn't bother ordering them however I will look into adding them as a BMW Performance Part when available.

So basically I have two questions for the forum.

1) Does CCB provide better "cold" stopping power? and
2) Has anyone tried purchasing/installing CCB and how much more expensive is it than had I ordered CCB from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Hammer91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

I drove a 2013 M5 with regular brakes in Germany for 10 days this summer and there were times on the autobahn where under heavy braking fade did occur. I now have 2014 CP with CCB and I love them. Never fade, quiet, no dust, and better feel to me at all times over the regular brakes. When I think about it, a very heavy sedan with the performance of the M5 probably has more need of CCBs then many lighter sports cars do because of the need to haul down that much weight. They are not cheap, but are a significant improvement IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

I think Clarence from Singapore did a retro-fit of the CCB's on his 2012 M5. Lots of members here have driven the new M's with the CCB's as well, including me. I will say that they are great, but you will only see the benefit, in terms of stopping power and resistance to fade either on the track, or if you drive your M5 hard in the mountains every weekend. Otherwise in an everyday role they feel pretty much the same as the steel brakes but with much less brake dust.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

I couldn't order them when I purchased but the car desperately needs better brakes. It is a beast ..!
      11-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
hmm, I struggle with this. I drove my old car really hard and didn't really experience fade other than one track day, and even then it was after a load of laps.

I changed the fluid after than and found the fade (or lack of it) improved. I also believe that different pads will improve item also. a lot cheaper than 10k for new rotors.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae
hmm, I struggle with this. I drove my old car really hard and didn't really experience fade other than one track day, and even then it was after a load of laps.

I changed the fluid after than and found the fade (or lack of it) improved. I also believe that different pads will improve item also. a lot cheaper than 10k for new rotors.
I agree with this belief too. I believe that a lot of the fade that people think they are feeling is because the standard BMW brake fluid is boiling after repeated laps on the track. A few months ago, I installed racing brake fluid, ATE Super Blue (Amber) in my F10 M5 and I've got a track day coming up at Virginia Intl Raceway later this month. The Racing Brake fluid has a much higher boiling point and when I had it on my E60 M5, it was a night and day difference. I'll report back on how my F10 M5 does with brake fade.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I agree with this belief too. I believe that a lot of the fade that people think they are feeling is because the standard BMW brake fluid is boiling after repeated laps on the track. A few months ago, I installed racing brake fluid, ATE Super Blue (Amber) in my F10 M5 and I've got a track day coming up at Virginia Intl Raceway later this month. The Racing Brake fluid has a much higher boiling point and when I had it on my E60 M5, it was a night and day difference. I'll report back on how my F10 M5 does with brake fade.
Looking forward to your findings.
      11-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Yeah RPiM5, I installed the CCB on my M5 recently I don't track my M5, but installed it mostly for cosmetic reasons. The main reason however, is that i hate brake dusts with a vengeance. I have hated it since my first BMW years back. I am pleasantly surprised with the CCB. I do not notice much difference in braking feel and that's a good thing. None of that cold braking harshness you hear about and zero brake dust. On the part on brake fade, it certainly delivers. I took the car out one night for a very heavy session of brake bedding. I did at a least 20 to 30 continuous hard stops and it held on without the slightest fade. The steel brakes started fading around 15 laps into the exercise. All in all, it's a no brainer if budget permits! I am a happy man
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar
Yeah RPiM5, I installed the CCB on my M5 recently I don't track my M5, but installed it mostly for cosmetic reasons. The main reason however, is that i hate brake dusts with a vengeance. I have hated it since my first BMW years back. I am pleasantly surprised with the CCB. I do not notice much difference in braking feel and that's a good thing. None of that cold braking harshness you hear about and zero brake dust. On the part on brake fade, it certainly delivers. I took the car out one night for a very heavy session of brake bedding. I did at a least 20 to 30 continuous hard stops and it held on without the slightest fade. The steel brakes started fading around 15 laps into the exercise. All in all, it's a no brainer if budget permits! I am a happy man
Still looking good as hell Clar!

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Stainless steel lines and proper brake fluid plus brembo big brake kit. But fluid and lines should alleviate any fade in hard breaking on the road.

Shouldnt have fade on the street though.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

ATE will require constant bleeding. Castrol srf has a better wet boiling point and on an m3 that sees regualr track days, once or maybe two flushes a year.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae

Dave,

Good to see you registered for VIR. I think we'll be running in the same group!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar
Sweet.

What it run you all for the brakes ?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1414 View Post
Sweet.

What it run you all for the brakes ?
The damage was around USD$20k, but I don't think it's relevant to u guys in US. I expect it to be cheaper for u guys there and probably most part of the world.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Looking good, Clar. Did you feel any difference in weight when steering or going over dips after the change?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Looking good, Clar. Did you feel any difference in weight when steering or going over dips after the change?
I can't feel any difference in steering weight or other aspects of driving dynamics. I normally drive with steering in Sports setting.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Interesting... I thought the lighter weight CCB setup would be noticeable. Perhaps the suspension is compensating?

Does anyone know how much lighter the CCB setup is ver the stock brakes?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
Interesting... I thought the lighter weight CCB setup would be noticeable. Perhaps the suspension is compensating?

Does anyone know how much lighter the CCB setup is ver the stock brakes?
Irrelevant if as said "Feel is the same " what a wast of money.
I drive hard but use the gears to slow me a lot, my brakes are fine STD.
Do Not track though.
      11-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Stainless steel lines and proper brake fluid plus brembo big brake kit. But fluid and lines should alleviate any fade in hard breaking on the road.

Shouldnt have fade on the street though.
Agreed. I installed the Stainless Steel lines and Racing brake fluid and it made a BIG difference in fade on the track. Minimal at the end of 30 min. sessions. Great investment.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Can you guys tell me from where you bought the stainless steel lines and racing brake fluid? Also what pads do you recommend? I live in the mountains, so its driven downhill everyday and fade is definitely apparent when it driven hard.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897072. I'm using stock pads so far. Other than dust, they really aren't that bad. http://store.bimmerworld.com/motul-r...luid-p909.aspx
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I don't track my M5, but installed it mostly for cosmetic reasons
You are the MAN!!!
Appreciate 0