M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
mjcecil
Sometimes, I wear a cape...
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Sapphire

Indy 500 feelings?

So, I think we can all agree (actually, we don't have to, I'm on my fifth M car, I know) that the M cars are tire eaters, like so many other performance cars. Frankly, I got tired of shelling out for rears every couple of months and fronts not much less frequently than that. So, I'm always looking for a good less-expensive tire for the beasts.

I'm not shy about NOT using the Michelins, Contis or Pirellis on my cars. I've used a couple of different things to offset the cost of tires, with mostly ok results:

E36 M3 : Bridgestone RE050
E46 M3: Kumho Ecsta somethingorother (I totally forget)
E60 M5: Hankook Ventus V12 Evo
F80 M3: Firestone Indy500

And now, It's getting time for me to throw the first set on my F10. I'm thinking about another round of Indy 500's. I had a pretty good experience with the Indys once they were worn in a bit. (They were pretty squirmy at first, but they settled down after a little gentle abuse.)

Anyone have any experience with these on the F10M5? I'll be using stock sized rears and 275/35/20's up front, since a 265/35/20 seems to be super rare.

And no, I don't track.

Thanks!

Mark
      05-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #2
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MBB F90 M5

For me i would always rely on the best tyre on the market as my car transports the kids about on a daily basis so really its peace of mind for me knowing ive got the best tyre on there.

My brother seems to think the opposite, hes got a 535d and always puts a run of the mill tyre on but truth be told he always seems happy, i think its down to the individuals driving style if you drive like a racing driver everywhere then you'll want the best for sure but if your one of those guys who think the mid range tyre is ok and don't drive like a loony then you'll not reach the limits of the tyre and never feel out of the comfort zone.

well thats my 2 pennies worth Mark.
Appreciate 0