Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

02-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
huytonman
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E89 35iS DCT

M5 buying advice

Hi guys, its been eleven years since my last M5, a 2002 E39 that I loved and I'm starting to kick myself for not taking the plunge around Christmas time when I let my logical practical head take the lead when swapping out my 520d estate which was a good car apart from the engine which I hated (previous estates had all been 6 cylinder Mercs so I was setting myself up to fail really). Anyway I was looking for a 535d and realized that the cars I was looking at from main dealers where around the same price as M5's but as I said I thought better of this firstly because I "need" an estate (that's a lie, the dogs will fit in the wifes CooperS), secondly the running costs of the M5 would be much higher than the 535d which I cant justify (lifes too short so stuff that reason) and finally on paper the 535d isnt a slouch so should give me all the performance that I want (not really as it happens). So I picked up a late 2016 car just before the new year, 8k miles, good spec and a massive improvement on the 520d with a lovely engine but... that bloody niggle wont leave my brain and I keep looking at M5's. Incidentally the 535d is a nippy thing and returns about 40 MPG so it does justify its billing for diesel estates.

So, on the assumption that I will be defeated by impetuosity this time, my search has been for LCI cars, any colour but black and less than 40k miles to try to keep the BMW warranty renewal price "reasonable" when the first years runs out. I plan to pay a premium to have a BMW dealer car, Im not taking any risks on something this complex and will be trading in the 535d which again pushes me towards a dealer. So based on your real world experiences what else should I look for on the spec?

Thanks

Keith
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Maximo1970
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

I bought mine just over a year ago and on my list was;

Surround View Cameras - to help the wife drive the car, she's only short.
Reverse Camera - saves the rear from those little bumps
Powered Boot - because I'm lazy, comes in handy though.
20" Wheels - they look better than the 19" in my view.

I also went for MCB as the colour looks great on these cars. I was sure what leather colour to go for, though I had come from a black car and black leather. In the end the car I bought had Silverstone II. Makes the car light inside.

Not sure if that helps you in any way.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 06:02 AM   #3
KFERI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

If I were to buy my M5 again I would defiantly go for the surround view cameras, especially if you live and park in London or any place with narrow roads. It's not a must but would just make life a bit easier.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:43 AM   #4
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Don't have a heart attack when they offer you very low £20K for your car, the market on diesel is awful at the moment.

They look to make about £4K per car
Appreciate 0