M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
Rickzg
Private
Rep
Drives: audi r8

Interior mirror fell off - dealer says new windscreen??

Hi guys, I have a bit of a strange dilemma. I was adjusting my interior mirror and somehow the mirror and plastic housing just came off in my hand. I have taken the car to the dealer but they are saying they have never seen this happen before and I will need a new windscreen. This seems rather bizarre to me, has anyone else had this issue before??

All the sensors are still fixed on the windscreen it’s just literally the mirror and the housing that fell off (obviously I disconnected the sensor on the mirror). The car is a 2012 f10 m5

Help please!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickzg View Post
Hi guys, I have a bit of a strange dilemma. I was adjusting my interior mirror and somehow the mirror and plastic housing just came off in my hand. I have taken the car to the dealer but they are saying they have never seen this happen before and I will need a new windscreen. This seems rather bizarre to me, has anyone else had this issue before??

All the sensors are still fixed on the windscreen it’s just literally the mirror and the housing that fell off (obviously I disconnected the sensor on the mirror). The car is a 2012 f10 m5

Help please!
this sounds like bull to me... what does the dealer think when one order a new windscreen. does that come with the mirror etc attached as one piece. I don't think so!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
Rickzg
Private
Rep
Drives: audi r8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
this sounds like bull to me... what does the dealer think when one order a new windscreen. does that come with the mirror etc attached as one piece. I don't think so!
This is what I was wondering! I’ve been doing some research and it just seems that the mirror needs bonding back onto the windscreen!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Usually there is a small metal puck that is glued with as special adhesive to the area where the rear view mirror slides and locks (or gets screwed) onto. I think the dealer means that a new windscreen will have the puck in the right location. However, seems drastic, like if you lost a tire cap, change the entire rim (lol). Anyways, I think you can get it reattached by any auto glass company. Or, you can always order an adhesive kit and do it yourself.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...a1050/4202332/
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Post a picture of what you have left.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Goranot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

Had the exact same issue..went to local BMW dealer and got told exactly same thing ..

“NEW WINDSCREEN”

Metal plate is bonded / glued on in correct position so all trim should etc fit correctly..was there explanation

“Why can’t you glue/bond metal plate in original location..sorry we can’t but Third party windscreen company can”

Popped into 3rd party windscreen replacement company ..fitter had a look ..aah not an issue I,ll check to see if we have F10 M5 screen in stock in one of our branches and will get them to send me exact location of metal plate fitted..
We will call you..

In Meantime decided just to pop into BMW dealer I normally use outside city for servicing etc..spoke to service manager..

“Aah not a problem we just did one a couple of months ago ..book it in and will sort it..”

Booked and credit to them fixed and done without any charge..

Can be done by BMW
Appreciate 0