M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

09-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
M5 BAT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Ridiculous Delays on New BMW's for Canada

I don't often vent, but today is an exception!!!! What would you do if you were me?

Had an M4 on order back in May this year. Car was supposed to arrive end of July, but it was delayed in production to end of August for some unknown reason.
So in mid-August I call BMW Canada to find out if the car is still on schedule for end of August delivery. To my surprise and disappointment, I found out that it was delayed again until end of October!!! WTF!! No communication from the dealer on the delay. They were surprised just as I was....

Being so fed up with waiting for the M4, I decided to switch to a new 2015 Individual M5 because I've always liked the car and there was one available for delivery in 30 days (ETA mid-Sept).

Now I find out that the M5 arrived in Canada on Sept 3, but has sat at the port of entry in Halifax for 21 days with no word on why its delayed!!! WTF!! Now I'm told that the vehicle 'should' be arriving in 2 weeks, which means: mid October best case!!! (Back at Square 1)

What makes me extremely dissatisfied is the lack of information a dealer and BMW Canada can provide on the status of a vehicle and the accuracy of the estimated arrival. In addition, there is clearly a lack of communication between BMW Canada and the dealerships on incoming vehicles.

Its almost as if the shipping process is completely out of their hands and control, with near zero visibility on the whereabouts of a new vehicle...the vehicle shows up when it shows up! (which is not good enough when you're buying an expensive and premium vehicle).

I have two choices: sit and wait EVEN longer in disappointment....or cancel my order and get me a different non-BMW car.....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Once it's arrived in Halifax, the delivery scheduling is at its mercy of the rail transport. Over at the M4 board, one can easily wait near 1 month or more to have it get onto the rail and to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Sorry to hear this. The wait does suck! I feel your pain.

JS
      09-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
M5 BAT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

What work would BMW typically perform on a new M5 at the VPC (Vehicle Prep Centre) at the port? Is it primarily repairs from damage in shipping?

How do I find out what work was performed on the car at the port? Go through the dealer?

Last edited by M5 BAT; 09-26-2014 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Another question
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Why not just ask ... although, any damages under $1000 is not required to be disclosed to the owner if the dealer chooses.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

I read somewhere that bmw has a shortage of carbon fiber roof panels and has stopped production of cars that need them at the moment. Might explain your M4 delay.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #7
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I read somewhere that bmw has a shortage of carbon fiber roof panels and has stopped production of cars that need them at the moment. Might explain your M4 delay.
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen and yes you are right I read it in M4 forum too!!! Why they even launched the car 2 months ago when they did not have enough part to complete the first 6 months order? They knew how many car they had to build since they knew the amount of pre-orders! I feel they are buying time to do something else!!! maybe some major issue in the car that they want to fix it ... or maybe it's all about marketing politic to let dealers keep marking up the price of car???
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Valnic
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen and yes you are right I read it in M4 forum too!!! Why they even launched the car 2 months ago when they did not have enough part to complete the first 6 months order? They knew how many car they had to build since they knew the amount of pre-orders! I feel they are buying time to do something else!!! maybe some major issue in the car that they want to fix it ... or maybe it's all about marketing politic to let dealers keep marking up the price of car???
Doubt it. Things like this happen in the manufacturing process all the time. It's just seems exacerbated because it's being waited on.
Appreciate 0