Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Auto Blip for MT - Liking it!

Ok so I know the heal toe thing needs to be perfected for true manual enthusiasts but I really find it hard to actually blip the engine perfectly. Maybe this is because of the turbos or the less responsive throttle but I am absolutely enjoying the auto-blip by the engine. Its nice to just shift and let the system figure out the exact amount of throttle to give. You have to adapt to the way car blips but once you get the hang of it, its fun! Almost as fun as doing it yourself

This car in MT definitely brings out a more aggressive nature to the beast!

P.S. March production M6 is coming in 7MT - I honestly never thought BMW would do it, the DCT is really impressive for these cars. Is this for NA only?
      01-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post

P.S. March production M6 is coming in 7MT - I honestly never thought BMW would do it, the DCT is really impressive for these cars. Is this for NA only?
whats youre source on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
PrimeTimeJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I agree with you. I am enjoying the rev matching with downshifting. The nice thing is that if you really want to heel toe shift yourself, you can just put it in Sport Plus mode and the rev matching is turned off. So we can have the best of both worlds. I think BMW did well with giving us this option in the manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
whats youre source on this?
Think this is official now - with Jason listing an article that the entire M6 range will get the option. Honestly as a MT driver this is massive news. I assume this will be the last generation - I also heard its coming in 7MT. This is a huge huge risk and investment by BMW. Everyone is turning their backs and they make this type of move - huge statement of their engineering prowess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTimeJohn View Post
I agree with you. I am enjoying the rev matching with downshifting. The nice thing is that if you really want to heel toe shift yourself, you can just put it in Sport Plus mode and the rev matching is turned off. So we can have the best of both worlds. I think BMW did well with giving us this option in the manual transmission.
Agreed, this car actually does so many things well its pretty amazing. I was not 100% sold at 1st with the MT because of the nature of the engine and the turbos. But after driving it for about 1500km I will say that it really adds character to the car.
      01-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I got sold on DCT (could not order one with MT.. Tried 15+ dealerships), I sure miss MT though - nothing beats MT.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protious View Post
I got sold on DCT (could not order one with MT.. Tried 15+ dealerships), I sure miss MT though - nothing beats MT.
Huh? Really? Why? No build slots? DCT is still really amazing - I had one for about 2 days. The unfortunate thing is it actually got unexciting for me on the 2nd day and I just popped it in automatic mode. It does some pretty cool stuff with the exhaust "farts" that you don't get in the MT.

Like I have said many times before never ever settle when it comes to buying these high priced cars. Get what you want because you will most likely end up keeping it longer and from a cost of ownership its usually the same if you calculate "lot discounts".
      01-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Pretty much, every dealership I called (California, Arizona, Texas) had absolutely no allocation. Would've loved to do ED and PDC, oh well.

I liked DCT for a week or so, then I started missing MT. Nothing beats rowing your own gears, no matter how much you try to convince yourself.

PS: Still love the car though, just sayin - I'd switch to MT if I had the choice. Paddle shifters are a joke.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I've never driven a car with auto-blip before, but I guess I can see how it might be handy, at least when you're feeling tired/lazy or just want to provide a smooth ride to passengers who scare easily. But if your clutch work and shift timing no longer matter when driving MT, then if you're the type who would keep auto-blip on permanently, I have to wonder what the point of driving auto-blip MT over DCT is. Part of the thrill of MT for me is always chasing that perfectly smooth upshift or rev-matched heel-toe downshift and feeling like a total hero when I get it exactly right, so if the computer now handles the blip and will hold the proper RPM until whenever you release the clutch, it seems to me that all you've got is essentially a DCT car with a built-in leg press and a way to select gears directly rather than sequentially. Doesn't seem to leave a lot of the driver engagement.

But most of all I wish there were a way to turn that off separately from changing throttle to Sport Plus. If Sport Plus on the M5 is anything like Sport Plus throttle on the M3, it's almost undriveable, and it doesn't make sense to me why BMW would assume that people's desire for auto-blip would be tied to their throttle sensitivity/linearity preference. I use Sport throttle for street driving and Normal for back road and track driving for its increased precision and linearity, and I can see myself sometimes wanting auto-blip in each of those scenarios and sometimes not.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 01-31-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I've never driven a car with auto-blip before, but I guess I can see how it might be handy, at least when you're feeling tired/lazy or just want to provide a smooth ride to passengers who scare easily. But if your clutch work and shift timing no longer matter when driving MT, then if you're the type who would keep auto-blip on permanently, I have to wonder what the point of driving auto-blip MT over DCT is. Part of the thrill of MT for me is always chasing that perfectly smooth upshift or rev-matched heel-toe downshift and feeling like a total hero when I get it exactly right, so if the computer now handles the blip and will hold the proper RPM until whenever you release the clutch, it seems to me that all you've got is essentially a DCT car with a built-in leg press and a way to select gears directly rather than sequentially. Doesn't seem to leave a lot of the driver engagement.

But most of all I wish there were a way to turn that off separately from changing throttle to Sport Plus. If Sport Plus on the M5 is anything like Sport Plus throttle on the M3, it's almost undriveable, and it doesn't make sense to me why BMW would assume that people's desire for auto-blip would be tied to their throttle sensitivity/linearity preference. I use Sport throttle for street driving and Normal for back road and track driving for its increased precision and linearity, and I can see myself sometimes wanting auto-blip in each of those scenarios and sometimes not.
I get your point but its a super flexible system in the M5. Sport Plus and Sport are quite identical just one blips for you and the other does not. Its just a neat technology to play with and have some fun - more tech to keep me entertained because I swear with speed limits and traffic I should just drive an I3 or Prius.
      02-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
I get your point but its a super flexible system in the M5. Sport Plus and Sport are quite identical just one blips for you and the other does not. Its just a neat technology to play with and have some fun - more tech to keep me entertained because I swear with speed limits and traffic I should just drive an I3 or Prius.
Oh ok, if Sport Plus throttle is similar to Sport I guess that's not so bad. On the M3, Sport Plus is insane -- as is P500 Sport on the previous-gen M5/6. Still kind of a bummer you can't have auto-blip when in Normal mode since I suspect that's what I'd want for track driving (unless they've made that mode intentionally sluggish rather than simply linear), but who knows, breaking auto-blip out as an independently configurable option may arrive in the future either from the factory or aftermarket.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
Quote:
Ok so I know the heal toe thing needs to be perfected for true manual enthusiasts but I really find it hard to actually blip the engine perfectly. Maybe this is because of the turbos or the less responsive throttle but I am absolutely enjoying the auto-blip by the engine. Its nice to just shift and let the system figure out the exact amount of throttle to give. You have to adapt to the way car blips but once you get the hang of it, its fun! Almost as fun as doing it yourself

This car in MT definitely brings out a more aggressive nature to the beast!

I just did ED a week ago and now waiting the long 6-8 weeks for it to arrive...here are my initial thoughts on the car including the auto-bliping....http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797393

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #12
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEOF40 FS M3 View Post
I just did ED a week ago and now waiting the long 6-8 weeks for it to arrive...here are my initial thoughts on the car including the auto-bliping....http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797393
Yes saw your review, congrats on the car - wonderful combo. Took my beast out again this weekend - mind blowing fun. Its a such a hooligan!
      02-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

I. Love. My. 6MT!

Period and i wouldn't change it for any other car, even another manual.

This car is fantastic, throttle blip and all.... It never ever ceases to amaze me. Ever.

I know this reply may not offer much but I sure am hard to please with a car and this car does it and more.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes saw your review, congrats on the car - wonderful combo. Took my beast out again this weekend - mind blowing fun. Its a such a hooligan!
Thanks...it is a pretty amazing machine!

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
I. Love. My. 6MT!

Period and i wouldn't change it for any other car, even another manual.

This car is fantastic, throttle blip and all.... It never ever ceases to amaze me. Ever.

I know this reply may not offer much but I sure am hard to please with a car and this car does it and more.
You don't have to say anymore...we (6MT) understand you just fine

Appreciate 0