M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Upgrading oil coolant system on F10 M5 for the next track day.

We recently used our shop's F10 M5 for a ACS (Fontana Roval) track day event and quickly found a slight issue with a stock oil cooling setup. The vehicle has all stock hardware with exception of water injection and our stage 1 flash set to 24psi limit. At 108F degree weather, we ran into oil temperatures being as high as 138C (280F) at the back straight doing 150mph+ passes after just 2 or 3 hot laps. This was causing safety functions to come in and cut power dramatically in order to save the motor.

Interestingly enough, the cluster gauge stayed at 240F the entire time BUT data log of actual oil temps showed 280F temps between turn 20 and turn 2. Shows you how accurate our gauges are...So, if you are tracking your M5, consider running a dataloger.

This continued for 3 sessions at which we were forced to get the car back to the shop (due to a slight technical issue with tires).

Now we are re-doing the oil cooling system with an additional head exchanger to try and combat this issue. Will have the final setup posted here once the parts are all done sometime next week, followed by anther track day/datalog mid august.

Little clip from the Backstright run:

Last edited by MissionPerformance; 07-15-2017 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
Mcc420475.00
      07-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
This continued for 3 sessions at which we were forced to get the car back to the shop (due to a slight technical issue with tires).

Little clip from the Backstright run:
Slight technical issue........as in flat? How many had difficulties, and why?

Looking forward to your engine oil cooling solution.

Very little clip, we need much more!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Slight technical issue........as in flat? How many had difficulties, and why?

Looking forward to your engine oil cooling solution.

Very little clip, we need much more!

Ill upload the actual footage today or tomorrow for sure. Just didnt have time yet.

The technical issue was due to my error. On first lap of session 3, with still low tire pressure and coldish tires, I hit high boost too soon on turn 5/6 sending me into a nice clean drift. Only issue was that I ran out of the asphalt and rear tire hit a 10inch pothole on the sand, sending me into a nice slide into the wall, nearly missing it. 3 tires came off the rims BUT didnt pop.
Days this hot cause very high tire pressure on lap 4 and 5, so I ended up starting with only 27psi cold to be able to stay below 39psi towards the end of session. This low cold tire pressure was not enough to keep the rubber on rim, and just debeaded it. All fixed with dismount, clean and remount the tires. By some luck, rims didnt get damaged.

For the next event, Im hoping to jump onto Cup2 or NT01 since the PSS are just not enough.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Wow, that's incredibly lucky! Sounds like a scary event, glad it wasn't worse. My local track isn't as high speed as ACS and I start at 32 front and 30 rear, but I do end up at 41 for both. I don't push hard though, Grattan is too tight for the heavy M5.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Even in your case you are having very high change in tire pressure. Our cars being this heavy does have a big impact on that. 500lb lighter would make M5s very fun around the track.

The worst part of this ordeal is that go-pro decided to glitch out and didnt record the accident. It for sure was a bit scary, and probably not the best way to introduce my passenger to the high speed track like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The worst part of this ordeal is that go-pro decided to glitch out and didnt record the accident. It for sure was a bit scary, and probably not the best way to introduce my passenger to the high speed track like this.
A passenger! Are you an instructor? He must have gotten an eyeful of that wall!

The 5 series is very quiet and solid, but why make what is supposed to be a driver's car weigh 4,400 pounds! I'd bet many M5 buyers would put up with higher road noise and a few less features for a 3,600 pound car weight!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A passenger! Are you an instructor? He must have gotten an eyeful of that wall!

The 5 series is very quiet and solid, but why make what is supposed to be a driver's car weigh 4,400 pounds! I'd bet many M5 buyers would put up with higher road noise and a few less features for a 3,600 pound car weight!
No Im not, a bit too aggressive to be one but maybe one day when I calm down abit. The passenger was my girlfriend and it was her first time with me at the track. Im sure having the heater at max and ambient of 108f didnt help much either, but at least she wants to go again next time when its under 80 outside.

And you know, maybe a perfect solution to that is a F80 with S63 swap? Much lighter, more agile and for sure has some roan noise.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The passenger was my girlfriend and it was her first time with me at the track. Im sure having the heater at max and ambient of 108f didnt help much either, but at least she wants to go again next time when its under 80 outside.
Sounds like you've got a keeper there! Good for her.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds like you've got a keeper there! Good for her.
Exactly.

But on the topic of coolant systems. The IATs on this cars are pretty good for having a missing passenger side fender mounted intercooler radiator. With just that and water injections, I was at 67c most of the time with high ambient, so that is not all bad. Now, having that space open for additional cooler, Im adding the N63TU fender mounted oil cooler to that location. Because N63 and S63 share very similar oil pans, I can re-use N63 return oil line from cooler to the pan. The oil feed line will be S63 one going to the original S63 oil cooler. Then all I have to do is add an oil line between N63 and S63 oil coolers and we should have a very effective setup. Will look all stock since we are using factory parts and should provide MUCH better cooling capacity.

Last edited by MissionPerformance; 07-15-2017 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #10
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Let us know if it'll be available as a product from your shop, Alex. I run extra oil coolers on all of my previous cars that see track duty. I'll never track the M5 on a coarse, but doesnt hurt to keep oil temps lower during summer.
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #11
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Very cool. Subscribing
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #12
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
Let us know if it'll be available as a product from your shop, Alex. I run extra oil coolers on all of my previous cars that see track duty. I'll never track the M5 on a coarse, but doesnt hurt to keep oil temps lower during summer.
That is for sure something you could use once you start running water injection. IATs will be very low due to water but if you do end up tracking your car, your oil temps will raise and the tune will pull power to control it, since we left those protocols enabled for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #13
JuniorM3
Captain
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 CP GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
That is for sure something you could use once you start running water injection. IATs will be very low due to water but if you do end up tracking your car, your oil temps will raise and the tune will pull power to control it, since we left those protocols enabled for you.
Any more info on the oil cooler upgrade? Some pics maybe?
      09-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #14
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

These cars run extremely hot and an oil cooler would be nice. I'm
Currently looking into a custom setup as well. Will let you know if I find something that works and is reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #15
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I wonder how tough it is to run a sandwich plate at the oil filter running to a 25-row setrab oil cooler. Anything larger may be difficult to find a mounting spot.
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 12:59 AM   #16
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Bit of a bump here, on realoem.com the 650i lists these two:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0484

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0494

I'm not sure which one you're referring to, possibly the one called Auxiliary is the one for hot climate countries?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #17
JuniorM3
Captain
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 CP GT3

Quote:
Exactly.

But on the topic of coolant systems. The IATs on this cars are pretty good for having a missing passenger side fender mounted intercooler radiator. With just that and water injections, I was at 67c most of the time with high ambient, so that is not all bad. Now, having that space open for additional cooler, Im adding the N63TU fender mounted oil cooler to that location. Because N63 and S63 share very similar oil pans, I can re-use N63 return oil line from cooler to the pan. The oil feed line will be S63 one going to the original S63 oil cooler. Then all I have to do is add an oil line between N63 and S63 oil coolers and we should have a very effective setup. Will look all stock since we are using factory parts and should provide MUCH better cooling capacity.
Will this fit on my M6?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0494

Thanks.