Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #1
DTMAMG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e63

*** CNA National warranty? ***

Hi All,

does anyone have any experience with CNA National extended warranty?

They offer upto 9 years/150k miles of coverage

I read mixed reviews on the web, so I thought I will check here as well

I was set on getting BMW Platinum, but my dealer also mentioned CNA as another choice, thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
PRKELLY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M5 CP

Posted elsewhere on the web but re-posting here as it's quite relevant.

About 7 years ago I was driving a nicely modded C5 Z06 and enjoying life to it's fullest, I drove the shit out of that car. Tracked it, auto crosssed it and had an overall great time. Never a trip to the shop for anything in my 5 years of owning it.
I then heard about the E60 M5 and as my commute suddenly got longer I wanted a four door super car. I started researching it and found a great deal on a 2006 model. Had it shipped over, drove it, fell in love with the intoxicating V10 music and I purchased the car from Carmax (Ive bought plenty of higher end performance cars there with no problems) and bought the CNA warranty for it from Carmax.
In the first two weeks I noticed that shifting the SMG would occasionally result in a very hard jerking shift. I figured it was me shifting at the wrong time. On day 19 of ownership I decided it was time to make some rubber circles in an empty parking lot. One circle, two circle, BAM! No more power steering. The pump had sheared the shaft. No I did not have it against the stops when steering. Take it into the shop and they diagnose the broken shaft on the PS pump and it was covered quickly by the warranty.
I also happened to mention the jerky shifting. They ran some diagnostics and discovered the SMG pump was failing. They replaced it and the jerky shifts persisted. They then opened up the transmission to find that the clutch was in pieces. Literally pieces. The throw out bearing was shot, the clutch fork was bent and the clutch itself was fubar. All covered under warranty and all in all it took about 20 days to get it in and out of the shop.
Fast forward a few months and I start having issues with the HVAC blower. It too was replaced under warranty. Then the active seat motors failed on the drivers side. Again, replaced under warranty.
A few months later and the engine is stuttering and throwing codes all over the place. Throttle body controller bank 1 is dead. Replaced under warranty. Two months later, the other controller failed. Replaced under warranty. Over the next year there were some small issues but the car ran pretty well.
UNTIL. I started getting low oil level lights frequently. Like every couple to few weeks Id be adding a quart. Brought this tot he service tech who told me to keep track of it and if it persisted they would open a case with BMWNA. Oh, it persisted alright. Case opened, car kept eating oil and finally BMW takes the top end off. Cannot find any thing wrong so they get authorization to remove the oil pan and components. This is where shit went south fast. They found a significant amount of metal pieces, shavings and chunks. The internal oil pump had failed and grenaded the engine. The warranty company at this point said that they would replace the engine. This was done over the course of a month. I drove by the dealer ship multiple times to see the car parked next to a dumpster out back (omens)
Get the car back and the warranty co tells me that I have the remaining time available on the warranty, but that financially they had put close to the purchase price of the car into repairs and they would not put another cent into it. Over my owning it for two years over 38K in repairs!! I sold it very quickly and got a Corvette Grand Sport, which has been bullet proof and is soon going up for sale so that i can punish myself a bit more with a 2014 F10 M5. Which will be purchased from Carmax, with low miles and the FULL Maxcare CNA warranty again. I wish any and all E60 M5 owners the best of luck but that engine, while amazing when it runs correctly, is a ticking time bomb.
This post is in no way meant to down talk the E60 series M5, I know people who have had them for years with zero issues. I know people who have had them and had similar experiences to mine. They are amazing machine, but I dont feel they are up for DD duty, nor any track time or auto cross. I took it out for two runs at a local Auto-X and the PS fluid boiled over and ruined a perfectly well detailed engine bay.
I'm now looking seriously at the F10 M5 as mentioned above, I'm looking only at '14 and up as I have heard some instances of the earlier models having some issues with engine failure. While the CP looks attractive, I think I'm just going to find one with all the proper check boxed filled and go from there. It will be a DD getting around 70-80 miles a day on it and will be used to road trips etc. No track time, no craziness.

All that being said, the CNA warranty is worth EVERY LAST CENT!!!!
Appreciate 2
Ickdeep5720.50
      10-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Good info, thanks for sharing!

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Thanks, my warranty expires next June so I will def. consider them!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
PRKELLY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

To my knowledge, you cannot buy retail from CNA, they work with dealerships only.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Interesting, my car warranty was voided (bought it as is) as soon as previous owner tuned it they found out wholes in DME, can i still get 3rd party Extended warranty ? I have 14k miles, is it worth to call them ?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
DTMAMG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRKELLY View Post
To my knowledge, you cannot buy retail from CNA, they work with dealerships only.
Thank you so much. Yes it is only sold thru dealer network

I was calling all BMW dealers to get price on the BMW Platinum warranty then one guy told me about CNA. And I can get coverage upto 125/150k I think
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
PRKELLY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMAMG View Post
Thank you so much. Yes it is only sold thru dealer network

I was calling all BMW dealers to get price on the BMW Platinum warranty then one guy told me about CNA. And I can get coverage upto 125/150k I think
Sure thing man, I'd check out Carmax, they have several nice examples on the lots now.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
DTMAMG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRKELLY View Post
Sure thing man, I'd check out Carmax, they have several nice examples on the lots now.
which do you recommend? thx
Appreciate 0