BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-04-2023, 12:02 PM   #1
Hairygorilla
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw m5

missing wheel nut how safe is the car

Got new tires fitted today and noticed that one of the threads have been over torqued and the thread is completely destroyed.

how safe is it having 4 bolts instead of 5 on a wheel of a f10 m5?

I am no mechanic and I have hardly worked on cars, does anyone know the estimate costs of getting a replacement, is it an easy fix?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 04:39 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I wouldn't drive the car on four bolts.
Do you mean the thread on the wheel bolt is damaged... the female thread in the hub should be ok. Just buy a new wheel bolt or better still more of them and try it out in the hub after cleaning out the swarf in it, also get yourself a torque wrench with an extension to clear the body and wheel bolt socket, a handy little tool and set it to 103 lb/ft or 140 newton metres (N-m) which is the correct torque setting for F10 M5 alloy wheel bolts oh and a decent jack with chassis jack point rubber bung is needed on level ground to jack it up safely..Good luck mate.

Last edited by M5Rick; 04-05-2023 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
SCD-1983575.50
      04-05-2023, 12:14 PM   #3
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW

4 bolts vs 5 is totally fine unless your trying for high speed records...

I had a weird thing happen to me where i had 2 lug nuts missing and 1 was loose on my e92 m3, and I didnt notice until someone beside me at a red light let me know that I had missing nuts.

Who knows how long I drove like that..not sure how that happened maybe I didn't torque them enough last time I removed them or someone was fucking with me.

When ever the last time you removed your wheels yourself, did the wheel fall off by itself or do you have to give it a few kick to get it off the hub....the wheel will not come off if it has only 4 bolts vs 5 especially at any traffic speed

now that doesnt mean "Dont need to fix it" but if you need to drive around a couple days till you can get it replaced its not the end of the world. Just dont go racing.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 04:54 AM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJiGGs View Post
4 bolts vs 5 is totally fine unless your trying for high speed records...

I had a weird thing happen to me where i had 2 lug nuts missing and 1 was loose on my e92 m3, and I didnt notice until someone beside me at a red light let me know that I had missing nuts.

Who knows how long I drove like that..not sure how that happened maybe I didn't torque them enough last time I removed them or someone was fucking with me.

When ever the last time you removed your wheels yourself, did the wheel fall off by itself or do you have to give it a few kick to get it off the hub....the wheel will not come off if it has only 4 bolts vs 5 especially at any traffic speed

now that doesnt mean "Dont need to fix it" but if you need to drive around a couple days till you can get it replaced its not the end of the world. Just dont go racing.
Someone else on here had their wheel lugs loosened on their driveway at night.
Sometimes a jacked up wheel will not come off when you have taken off the lugs and needs a kick, this is just the alloy wheel facing and iron hub fusion together. A bit of copper slip around the facings should prevent this but sparingly.
Don't do it mate, you could forget and go on the motorway, the five lugs are there for a reason.

Last edited by M5Rick; 04-06-2023 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 10:51 AM   #5
Ev_M_LuTioN
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

Garage List
2015 M5  [0.00]
Your fine, i just realized the same thing when doing my brakes, 1 lug was missing, i got my rims put on a few weeks ago and they were all there, I suspect someone was trying to steal my rims because my other lugs were slightly stripped. I had to go to the tire shop to remove them. After that i just bought 4 lugs and a rim lock set. I know it wont stop most thieves but maybe slow them down a bit. Smh. (Thieves also cut my cat out from my crv like a month b4 this! Smh) p.s. do get another lug as soon as you can. It is meant to have all 5.
      04-06-2023, 01:02 PM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev_M_LuTioN View Post
Your fine, i just realized the same thing when doing my brakes, 1 lug was missing, i got my rims put on a few weeks ago and they were all there, I suspect someone was trying to steal my rims because my other lugs were slightly stripped. I had to go to the tire shop to remove them. After that i just bought 4 lugs and a rim lock set. I know it wont stop most thieves but maybe slow them down a bit. Smh. (Thieves also cut my cat out from my crv like a month b4 this! Smh) p.s. do get another lug as soon as you can. It is meant to have all 5.
Cats can't be cut out of M5's by the thieving scum as too inaccessible, lets be thankful for small mercies
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 06:03 PM   #7
m760iM5
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, F10 M5

I reviewed my service records. In 2018 I had this same issue fixed by the dealer, it wasn't covered and I was surprised that this only cost $16.13. It looks like they didn't charge me labor. I had the brakes done during that service, which was covered an I think the labor overlapped, not sure. I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0