M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

06-30-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
Beast27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Alpine White/Black CP

BMW NBT EVO Upgrade w / Installation

Hey All,

Wanted to post this if anyone wants to switch things up a bit and I can't help but tinkering. My wife bought a new '18 X5 a few years ago and always liked her navigation with carplay built in. It always seemed a little sleaker and was touchscreen as well so started to do my research. A month ago, I decided to go with the INAV system that has a pop up screen (first photo), which is essentially an android device that leverages AUX input to toggle back and forth. I liked it, but it just didn't feel the same as my wife's X5. It's a great option but wanted something a little more and OEM. I did some research and went with an ebay retailer navi and bmw parts who could code the NBT EVO to my VIN as well as manufacturer a touchscreen from another vehicle but modified to fit the F10. Installed last night, fired right up and works perfectly. I was expecting some coding needed post install but all worked out - switched the Sirius over to the new unit in 10 min and good to go. Here are some pics of the install - took about 3 hours all in making sure I connected the right wires including the fiber optic cables and taking my time. Don't worry - I disconnected the negative terminal before I started taking things apart. Towards the end, I reconnected it before screwing everything to make sure things were working properly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      06-30-2021, 11:47 PM   #2
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

Wow, that has to be my next mod for sure.
May I ask where you bought the NBT EVO headunit, name of the eBay seller?
I will go for an upgraded headunit, but keep the non-touch screen!

Edit: just found the seller, will contact him
today. Thanks again for the write-up!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 12:23 AM   #3
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
That does really look good, what functions aren't working anymore? I would guess any of real traffic or connect drive. Also, what did you pay for it? you can PM me if you don't want to post. Have been debating about this upgrade, but hesitating of losing some of the OEM factions.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 03:57 AM   #4
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
That does really look good, what functions aren't working anymore? I would guess any of real traffic or connect drive. Also, what did you pay for it? you can PM me if you don't want to post. Have been debating about this upgrade, but hesitating of losing some of the OEM factions.
According to the seller, all OEM functions will be available plus the features of NBT EVO ID6 and CarPlay. Based on our conversation, it's a plug&play swap, so NBT headunit out and NBT EVO headunit in. If you want to keep your current screen, you will additionally need a converter cable and a wifi antenna. Total cost, excluding shipping as it varies, is around $1250.
I'm looking forward to the OP feedback, because I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 06:35 AM   #5
Beast27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Everything works as the seller coded to my specifications and also based on my build sheet and VIN.

I'm working through one small issue where my backup camera doesn't work but we believe it's a coding issue and working with the seller to recode the backup camera.

Secondly, the kit actually came with a new idrive controller however I'm still leveraging my old ceramic idrive controller. Mine has telephone as the top right button, whereas the new one has "map". So when I hit telephone, the map comes up. Not a huge deal as I can use the idrive to scroll through or just hit the screen to go to apple car play

Overall very happy with purchase
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #6
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD-1983 View Post
Quote:
According to the seller, all OEM functions will be available plus the features of NBT EVO ID6 and CarPlay. Based on our conversation, it's a plug&play swap, so NBT headunit out and NBT EVO headunit in. If you want to keep your current screen, you will additionally need a converter cable and a wifi antenna. Total cost, excluding shipping as it varies, is around $1250.
I will reach out to them, so far no one was able to keep the telematic services with the swap. I have talked to pretty much any of those companies that advertise on those forums. Would be great if they have figured it out, I am with you on pulling the plug for one but I don't want to use any of the features.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
Beast27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will reach out to them, so far no one was able to keep the telematic services with the swap. I have talked to pretty much any of those companies that advertise on those forums. Would be great if they have figured it out, I am with you on pulling the plug for one but I don't want to use any of the features.
Maybe i'm being dense but telematic services - does that = real time traffic and other items? For RTT, thought it was a 3G no longer supported, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #8
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Is there really any added benefits to adding NBT EVO IB6? Other than looking more modern? I want a bigger screen, how did you like the pop up screen size prior to this?

I am probably in the minority here that just wants Carplay and Touchscreen out of an upgrade like this. I honestly don't see the need for live traffic when you have Carplay with Waze, I don't think BMWs live traffic is going to be better than Waze, just an opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #9
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
True, the NBT TCB won't work with the EVO HU, so it's coded out. In order to retain RTTI and telematics services, an active ATM with integrated SIM has to be added and coded in. If you don't need connected services, RTTI and emergency call function, it's ok to get such a unit. A full conversion with all existing features can be done as well, but it's way more complex and expensive. I did a lot of research today, I really don't need these telematics features. But after all, it's not a full conversion!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #10
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
Is there really any added benefits to adding NBT EVO IB6? Other than looking more modern? I want a bigger screen, how did you like the pop up screen size prior to this?

I am probably in the minority here that just wants Carplay and Touchscreen out of an upgrade like this. I honestly don't see the need for live traffic when you have Carplay with Waze, I don't think BMWs live traffic is going to be better than Waze, just an opinion.
Whole reason is to have carplay but I am very OSD as I would like to keep my current functions. Integration is a key for me. I have X5 that I got one of those boxes I would try on and see if that would serve the purpose as you can switch in between. I doesn't support touch screen, but I have never been fan of finger prints.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #11
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
True, the NBT TCB won't work with the EVO HU, so it's coded out. In order to retain RTTI and telematics services, an active ATM with integrated SIM has to be added and coded in. If you don't need connected services, RTTI and emergency call function, it's ok to get such a unit. A full conversion with all existing features can be done as well, but it's way more complex and expensive. I did a lot of research today, I really don't need these telematics features. But after all, it's not a full conversion!
Yeah, that is why I questioned the conversion that is actually keeping your current functions. A lot of people can do that conversion in US, altho this is probably the first time I see this nice touch screen tho.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #12
Beast27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post

These are all good questions and part of my research.

If you just want Carplay - you probably could go with a bimmertech MMI interface that can be installed for approx $600 USD (part only). It leverages your same screen and navigation system.

If you want a bigger pop up screen - I see manufacturers making 12.3 inch large screens however those look pretty big to me.

INAV is a good choice too, which is what I did have, it was a 10.25 touchscreen, with carplay included. I did find some of the switching between carplay and regular usage a little different but still a very good option that I know others on the forum found worked well.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:51 PM   #13
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast27 View Post
Quote:
Maybe i'm being dense but telematic services - does that = real time traffic and other items? For RTT, thought it was a 3G no longer supported, etc.
They keep saying isn't supported. 5years later my e90 still gets all traffic updates for free (2G) that was supposed to be killed many years ago. All is good, BMW can't commit when will be dead so we all get free support till 3G is up, I highly doubt will be completely dead in the next 5years
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:54 PM   #14
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
These are all good questions and part of my research.

If you just want Carplay - you probably could go with a bimmertech MMI interface that can be installed for approx $600 USD (part only). It leverages your same screen and navigation system.

If you want a bigger pop up screen - I see manufacturers making 12.3 inch large screens however those look pretty big to me.

INAV is a good choice too, which is what I did have, it was a 10.25 touchscreen, with carplay included. I did find some of the switching between carplay and regular usage a little different but still a very good option that I know others on the forum found worked well.

If you want bimmertech MMI you can go with generic without paying double or even more the cost, there is huge post on F30 about all those boxes, how to install, version and firmware upgrades. I have one of those in my X5 and it is ok, totally does the job, but doesn't pass wife test. So I am looking for something OEM, if those guys have figure it out, I will totally spend the extra to make the wife happy.
Appreciate 1
Beast27358.00
      07-11-2021, 02:30 AM   #15
sdrawkcaB
Follow the rabbit. 🐇
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Quote:

Would you be able to post a link to their listing and or eBay profile? I'm really interested in getting this retrofit done myself.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2021, 07:38 AM   #16
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrawkcaB View Post
Quote:

Would you be able to post a link to their listing and or eBay profile? I'm really interested in getting this retrofit done myself.
Sure, here's a link to the NBT EVO ID6 headunit with GPS and DAB:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/NBT-EVO-id5-...-127635-2958-0

The seller is called naviandbmwparts, he is very responsive and needs your VIN to answer questions.

After doing a ton of research, it's highly recommended to buy the entire setup with NBT EVO ID6 headunit, EVO touchscreen and cable. By using the original NBT screen, blackouts due to voltage conversion and lack of resolution can occur.

Also, if you have rear seat entertainment (RSE), it would be required to upgrade the entire system to EVO, meaning screens and rear DVD headunit. Otherwise the front headunit won't be able to communicate with the rear headunit anymore, as they use different systems. Since I have RSE, I opted not to pursue the upgrade for now!
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2021, 08:34 PM   #17
Beast27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Minor update...

Had one issue with the installation where my PDC and rear camera were not functioning. After a coding session with the seller, was able to fix to get working again. He coded partmaster 1 to partmaster 2 setting to get it to work. I've done bimmercode so the coding was a bit over my head but glad the whole unit works with integrated carplay and touchscreen navigation. The last option would have been to change some pins on the quadlock adapter which luckily it ended up being plug and play and no re-wiring required. The Seller was very responsive to my needs & questions and recommend if anyone wants to go this route.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #18
black_F10M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Wow this is a very information post. I purchased the 10.25 inch iNav earlier this year after seeing your car and its been sitting in the box in my office lol, never installed it yet. Now I need to consider selling this and going with this new solution.

In your opinion, was the only drawback on the iNav unit that fact you had to toggle between the BMW interface and the carplay interface? Any other glitches or things to be aware of?

IND cosmetic | M Performance , RKP , 3D Design aero | Eisenmann Race exhaust | AMS catted downpipes | MSR intake | CSF charge coolers | DME Stage 2 tune | KW v3 coilovers | BBS FI | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 01:13 PM   #19
Beast27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_F10M5 View Post
Wow this is a very information post. I purchased the 10.25 inch iNav earlier this year after seeing your car and its been sitting in the box in my office lol, never installed it yet. Now I need to consider selling this and going with this new solution.

In your opinion, was the only drawback on the iNav unit that fact you had to toggle between the BMW interface and the carplay interface? Any other glitches or things to be aware of?
Looking for others to chime in as well who bought INAV, my experience:

INAV: wonderful product & price point. Pretty straight forward installation but did take some fiddling with the settings to get the screen correct and other small items but no complaints. Touchscreeen was very nice and overall fit looked factory. I did struggle a little with the connection to the phone and this could be my lack of sophistication - my phone stayed connected to the android device for carplay via WIFI but also would never get to Cellular signal unless I would have to turn wifi signal off or be prompted by the phone. Again - could be my issue but wasn't ideal always when traveling as in NBT Evo it's automatically leveraging cellular signal. I even explored getting a separate SIM card to have it in the INAV device to avoid the constant connection setup.

NBT EVO - We use my wifes' F15 '18 X5 a great deal for trips and getting around as a family of 4 and it has the EVO so it was easy to constantly compare the operating systems. EVO was much faster than NBT and I enjoyed the navigation between carplay and normal navigation as well as touchscreen. Installation took a little bit navigating the quadlock adapter and ended up with extra connections that weren't needed. Seller was quick to respond to all my Q's and had a few coding sessions to triage the PDC and backup camera issue. Overall - very happy and now feel like my tech setup is complete and more up to date for a seven year old car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 09:24 PM   #20
Aajav-Khan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Sakhir Orange CCB

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_F10M5 View Post

Looking for others to chime in as well who bought INAV, my experience:

INAV: wonderful product & price point. Pretty straight forward installation but did take some fiddling with the settings to get the screen correct and other small items but no complaints. Touchscreeen was very nice and overall fit looked factory. I did struggle a little with the connection to the phone and this could be my lack of sophistication - my phone stayed connected to the android device for carplay via WIFI but also would never get to Cellular signal unless I would have to turn wifi signal off or be prompted by the phone. Again - could be my issue but wasn't ideal always when traveling as in NBT Evo it's automatically leveraging cellular signal. I even explored getting a separate SIM card to have it in the INAV device to avoid the constant connection setup.

NBT EVO - We use my wifes' F15 '18 X5 a great deal for trips and getting around as a family of 4 and it has the EVO so it was easy to constantly compare the operating systems. EVO was much faster than NBT and I enjoyed the navigation between carplay and normal navigation as well as touchscreen. Installation took a little bit navigating the quadlock adapter and ended up with extra connections that weren't needed. Seller was quick to respond to all my Q's and had a few coding sessions to triage the PDC and backup camera issue. Overall - very happy and now feel like my tech setup is complete and more up to date for a seven year old car.
@Beast27 now that you have had it installed for close to a month, any feedback to share? Beyond the RTT and connected drive, do you still have access to your legacy M5 menus and functions. Also any new watch outs during install?
      08-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #21
Beast27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aajav-Khan View Post
@Beast27 now that you have had it installed for close to a month, any feedback to share? Beyond the RTT and connected drive, do you still have access to your legacy M5 menus and functions. Also any new watch outs during install?
So far - really like it...

Positives
  • Fast response time, once I start the car - it's already on and don't have to wait to boot up. Overall speed is quicker
  • Really like the touchscreen and quick navigation to Apple Car Play. don't use touchscreen often but very handy when I do.
  • Idrive controller is a bit more intuitive with no telephone button and simply use the media or communication button.

Negatives:
  • Realistically don't feel I can proceed making any more coding changes via Bimmercode. I'm assuming it is looking for a NBT headunit so i have all my changes that I need at this point
  • Glad we figured out the backup camera / PDC fixed. Was a bit nervous that coding wasn't going to solve and luckily didn't have to do any re-wiring
  • Can't adjust the climate / heat settings. From memory i could make the lower seat or upper seat heat more / less than other parts. I can't find this function any more
  • Connected drive doesn't work but I use apple car play instead

Hope that helps

Last edited by Beast27; 08-09-2021 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 4
      08-29-2021, 08:45 PM   #22
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Hey All,

Wanted to post this if anyone wants to switch things up a bit and I can't help but tinkering. My wife bought a new '18 X5 a few years ago and always liked her navigation with carplay built in. It always seemed a little sleaker and was touchscreen as well so started to do my research. A month ago, I decided to go with the INAV system that has a pop up screen (first photo), which is essentially an android device that leverages AUX input to toggle back and forth. I liked it, but it just didn't feel the same as my wife's X5. It's a great option but wanted something a little more and OEM. I did some research and went with an ebay retailer navi and bmw parts who could code the NBT EVO to my VIN as well as manufacturer a touchscreen from another vehicle but modified to fit the F10. Installed last night, fired right up and works perfectly. I was expecting some coding needed post install but all worked out - switched the Sirius over to the new unit in 10 min and good to go. Here are some pics of the install - took about 3 hours all in making sure I connected the right wires including the fiber optic cables and taking my time. Don't worry - I disconnected the negative terminal before I started taking things apart. Towards the end, I reconnected it before screwing everything to make sure things were working properly.
Where did you get that steering wheel?
Appreciate 0