M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #23
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

I learned english in elementary school and secondary school. Learning from books is good for conjugation but in the end you want to increase your vocabulary so you need to immerse yourself in an environment. I was fortunate to get hired by an aerospace company after college graduation and the aerospace business is done mostly in english.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #24
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
I wanna learn other languages too and definitely have been looking into Rosetta Stone but it's really expensive. I mean at around $300-350 for 3 lessons I'd definitely consider it. But at $500+ it seems a bit much.
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4661..._%5BDEIFIED%5D - 11 languages rosetta stone free of charge
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #25
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkawekrue View Post
Rosetta stone is stupid. dont even bother nor waste your money. it will teach you if at best elementary level language, which imo gets you no where. if you are serious about learning a language pm me and i can hook you up with some websites. I am currently a student at DLI (google it), and can tell you that here we do not use rosetta stone. Best thing to do is buy a book of 500 verbs and learn to conjugate for females/males etc. also completely immerse yourself in the language by either dating a spanish speaking female, listening to spanish music, watching kids tv shows (in spanish), etc. you will learn surprisingly a lot in a short amount of time. here at DLI they teach students to speak spanish at a college student level in 6 months. obviously most of us wouldnt be able to learn that fast but some of us learn crazier languages in about that amount of time. i for example am in arabic and will be graduating here soon. hope this helps.
Thanks for the responses. In one of my posts I mentioned my GF is Latin. She was born in Ecuador and speaks Spanish, Portuguese, English, Italian and is learning Mandarin. So the least I can do is learn Spanish!!!! It's great for my career as well. I'd like to get to a point where I can just talk to her in Spanish. Plus her parents speak broken English so learning Spanish is key.

I like the idea of buying a book on all the verbs and conjugating nouns with them. She talks and texts me in Spanish to help but I told her I have to start off slow. Phrases no more than 5 words so I can start remembering which word means what. If it gets lengthy I'll get lost. Any book suggestions send em over!

I don't believe watching a Spanish movie or TV will help at this point. I already listen to Spanish music (I also play it on my guitar, just no singing), but just like TV, it's not going to help yet. I'm just starting off so it would be like trying to fly a space shuttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4661..._%5BDEIFIED%5D - 11 languages rosetta stone free of charge
I don't know how to use torrents. I did download uTorrent, but can't for the life of me figure out how to make it work.

I'm really excited to learn, but just like starting off anything new, it's always the most difficult in the beginning. Need to figure out how to get in a rhythm and focus on one thing at a time. I have no problem immersing myself in the culture since so many of my GFs friends are Latin and her parents are too.
      02-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #26
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
lol

My GF is Spanish so she's teaching me. But yes I need some additional resources to learn on my own.

Rosetta Stone is over $500+ so I'm trying to find some other methods.
I torrented Rosetta stone, got every language!

Oh, maybe if I'd read the whole thread I wouldn't come across as an idiot.

If you downloaded uTorrent then your nearly there. Go to a website like www.thepiratebay.org

Search under applications, it will give you a list of downloads, you can then sort the list based on the number of seeds. Seeds are the people who have uTorrent running and are 'seeding' (uploading) the content. To do this you'll want to look towards the top right of the list of downloads and click the button that says seeds, it should put the highest number first. You'll want to pick a download that's applicable to you with the highest number of seeds. If you pick a download with few seeders it will take eons to complete. once you find one that suits your needs click the file and read a few reviews (they will be at the bottom) to be sure no one is complaining about virus. If it all looks good click the green text that says download torrent, your normal browsers download bar will come up and complete rather quickly. Then Another window will pop up from uTorrent, click ok at the bottom and your download will begin.

Good luck.

God damn I'm dumb, just saw you found a download. That one looks alright with 200+ seeds, but there are more leechers meaning more people downloading the file.

All you've got to do now is follow what I've bolded above.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.

Last edited by Augenbrauezug; 02-08-2011 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #27
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
I torrented Rosetta stone, got every language!

Oh, maybe if I'd read the whole thread I wouldn't come across as an idiot.

If you downloaded uTorrent then your nearly there. Go to a website like www.thepiratebay.org

Search under applications, it will give you a list of downloads, you can then sort the list based on the number of seeds. Seeds are the people who have uTorrent running and are 'seeding' (uploading) the content. To do this you'll want to look towards the top right of the list of downloads and click the button that says seeds, it should put the highest number first. You'll want to pick a download that's applicable to you with the highest number of seeds. If you pick a download with few seeders it will take eons to complete. once you find one that suits your needs click the file and read a few reviews (they will be at the bottom) to be sure no one is complaining about virus. If it all looks good click the green text that says download torrent, your normal browsers download bar will come up and complete rather quickly. Then Another window will pop up from uTorrent, click ok at the bottom and your download will begin.

Good luck.

God damn I'm dumb, just saw you found a download. That one looks alright with 200+ seeds, but there are more leechers meaning more people downloading the file.

All you've got to do now is follow what I've bolded above.

Thanks! Your directions should be a big help. I'm using a MAC so hopefully the torrents work on MAC, I should also be less worried about viruses.

I'll have to give it a shot when I get home tonight.
      02-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #28
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
Thanks! Your directions should be a big help. I'm using a MAC so hopefully the torrents work on MAC, I should also be less worried about viruses.

I'll have to give it a shot when I get home tonight.
The only Apple product I use is my iphone, but it probably all works the same.

I'll be using my German Rosetta stone to begin getting ready to take my car via ED! Don't want to come across as a stupid Yank.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0