BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #23
Redrckt135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5 & 17 X5M

I came from a 2012 535i to a 16 m5 and I couldn't be happier. The seats are more comfortable, suspension is light years ahead of the 535 with all the settings you can choose from, and the car is an absolute beast on the highway. It does everything the 535 did but 100x better. It's a no brainier if it fits your budget.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 02:23 PM   #24
M5Hambre
Soldier
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Hambre View Post
I've had a 2013 M5 as daily driver for over 57k miles and is it truly the most comfortable and satisfying DD ever. U can pass and overtake any other car at will on the highway. There really is no exhaust drone, just fake sound pumped into the cabin from active sound. You can also easily disable active sound for an exceptionally quite freeway cruiser. Also, I have not experienced the steering vibration. Took it up to nearly 120 mph today on my morning commute and the steering felt buttery smooth. The only real downside is worse gas mileage and the car can feel heavy around quick tight turns. Otherwise a great and fun DD!!! Btw I also have 20 inch wheels and they feel fine.
The car feels heavy around bends when you're off the gas i.e not actively pushing it through the corner. Apply some positive throttle in the bend and that heaviness is replaced by an 'up on its toes' feeling.
If you feel you are coming into corners fast enough, take off a little entry speed so you can drive the car through the corner and that heaviness is magically gone.
My only complaint is that the car takes up a lot of space on the road so when they're twisting and very narrow it requires a lot or precision.
Try tracking the car. It's weight never "magically" disappears. That's what I really meant.
      03-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #25
M5Hambre
Soldier
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Hambre View Post
I've had a 2013 M5 as daily driver for over 57k miles and is it truly the most comfortable and satisfying DD ever. U can pass and overtake any other car at will on the highway. There really is no exhaust drone, just fake sound pumped into the cabin from active sound. You can also easily disable active sound for an exceptionally quite freeway cruiser. Also, I have not experienced the steering vibration. Took it up to nearly 120 mph today on my morning commute and the steering felt buttery smooth. The only real downside is worse gas mileage and the car can feel heavy around quick tight turns. Otherwise a great and fun DD!!! Btw I also have 20 inch wheels and they feel fine.
The car feels heavy around bends when you're off the gas i.e not actively pushing it through the corner. Apply some positive throttle in the bend and that heaviness is replaced by an 'up on its toes' feeling.
If you feel you are coming into corners fast enough, take off a little entry speed so you can drive the car through the corner and that heaviness is magically gone.
My only complaint is that the car takes up a lot of space on the road so when they're twisting and very narrow it requires a lot or precision.
Don't get me wrong, I love my M5, it's the car I want to drive and do use the most now. But it's a car with multiple personality disorder, and all the combinations of steering, transmission, and throttle settings are like putting it on Adderall and Klonopin at the same time. It's very isolated which takes away a lot of the sensations to indicate what it's really doing. It can be disciplined and tame one minute and a terrifying monster the next. It's the most demanding BMW I've ever driven. Drive an M5 and M6GC back to back, and they feel like completely different cars.
I usually just drive with sport tranny and sport throttle settings, sometimes sport suspension as well. These work well for me as DD settings
      03-28-2016, 12:31 AM   #26
Aussiefishy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

"currently drive a 2013 535i, which I love, but it's too soft and lethargic"

Love your descriptions on your 535.

Personally I think the M5 is a car that is completely livable as a DD. I do concur the steering vibrations can be an issue but that should be understandable given the car is designed to provide as much feedback as it can be while not sacrificing comfort. After all, it is an M Car.

The 650s are nice, but reliability can be an issue (N63 vs S63tu's). I had an x6 50i fully loaded and lots of issues with the engine... So my opinion are definitely biased. I also had an 335i e92, as well as 535 in the past.

As long as you still in love with how the current 5er looks and feels I think you will not regret stepping up to an M5.
Appreciate 0