03-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #45
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shainrae
I let my wife drive mine when her X6 is being serviced. I won't lie, it makes me nervous as hell every time; not because she can't drive and handle the car (she's tracked her own car and drives well), but because she DESTROYS rims on curbs regularly.

The same "spacial awareness" deficiency will inevitably destroy the front lower spoiler when parked too close to front curb of most parking places. In spite of my best attempts to leave distance between my car and these front curbs, occasionally even I cut it too close.

These two areas are (seemingly) impossible to teach a woman driver, so I avoid turning over the beast to my wife with a fear on par with a digital rectal exam.
Seriously this is one of my primary concerns...so I'm waiting until the M1A1 Abrams is street legal for her to drive. I don't trust her to drive her own SUV, much less my M5...and she's onboard with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #46
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un Gato Malodoro View Post
Seriously this is one of my primary concerns...so I'm waiting until the M1A1 Abrams is street legal for her to drive. I don't trust her to drive her own SUV, much less my M5...and she's onboard with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #47
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

No problem, it's only a car after all! Granted though if I had spent big bucks on some massive HRE's and she came in and said "honey , I kerbed one of your wheels" then she may be executed!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #48
PvsNP
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/2014 M5

Its going to be 15 years soon since I have had my drivers license and I have never hit a curb, scratched my wheels, or any other damage. I have had 1 nail in all of the cars I drove and that wasn't my fault at all. I still drive my cars hard. I can say the same thing about my wife. She is even more careful than I am.

To me, people these days are simply careless. They don't have what it takes to be careful, they don't want to "stress out". Typical first world rich person attitude. I grew up in poverty and studied with scholarships and working on top of that without seeing a penny from my parents. If you lived the life I did, I guarantee you that your rims would look like new after 10 years. Its all about valuing your own property, taking care of it.

So its not about letting your wife/girlfriend/sister drive your car. Its all about letting someone responsible drive your car. I would let my wife drive my car any time and she drives them more than I do.

That being said, if my wife were like one of those other wives can't bother to check the mirrors or use all the technology offered like cameras etc, I would never let her drive my car. Well to be fair, judging from her mentality, I don't think I'd marry her in the first place
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #49
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
Yes as long as she is as responsible as you.

My wife drives all the cars we own, she is a very good driver and takes care of things.

If something happens, then just get it repaired or fixed; after all it is just a material thing.

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #50
cassidysdad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 gone, 2016 pms m5

my wife is afraid of scuffing my rims too
she knows how much i love the car
for her it is JUST a car
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #51
PvsNP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidysdad View Post
my wife is afraid of scuffing my rims too
she knows how much i love the car
for her it is JUST a car
This is what I don't understand. No car is "JUST" a car. It's your property. Doesn't matter if it's a chevy impala, you should still take care of it and park carefully. Even the crappy E90 328 loaners I get, I drive and take care of like my own car.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #52
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvsNP View Post
This is what I don't understand. No car is "JUST" a car. It's your property. Doesn't matter if it's a chevy impala, you should still take care of it and park carefully. Even the crappy E90 328 loaners I get, I drive and take care of like my own car.
i drive loaners like i stole it
i am not proud of that
but 90% of people who drove it before you and going to drive it after you gonna drive it same way
so why not have some fun
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #53
PvsNP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
i drive loaners like i stole it
i am not proud of that
but 90% of people who drove it before you and going to drive it after you gonna drive it same way
so why not have some fun
Nobody says don't have fun. But you can have fun without disrespecting someone's (or your own) property.

I have lived in rental apartments for 10+ years, never once I was charged for any damages for example. It's because I took care of my apartments as if they were my own.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #54
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Nobody says don't have fun. But you can have fun without disrespecting someone's (or your own) property.

I have lived in rental apartments for 10+ years, never once I was charged for any damages for example. It's because I took care of my apartments as if they were my own.
same here!

i am not saying i would use and abuse, hit everything on my way and curb rims, reverse until i here and feel the knock, but still i drive loaners differently from my cars
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #55
RaySkrillz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 ///M4 Tanz. Blue & Blk

Quote:

No accidents of any manner, no residential complaints ever...
Well arent you the model citizen...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:30 AM   #56
ShainoF10M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M8 GC

Quote:
Its going to be 15 years soon since I have had my drivers license and I have never hit a curb, scratched my wheels, or any other damage. I have had 1 nail in all of the cars I drove and that wasn't my fault at all. I still drive my cars hard. I can say the same thing about my wife. She is even more careful than I am.

To me, people these days are simply careless. They don't have what it takes to be careful, they don't want to "stress out". Typical first world rich person attitude. I grew up in poverty and studied with scholarships and working on top of that without seeing a penny from my parents. If you lived the life I did, I guarantee you that your rims would look like new after 10 years. Its all about valuing your own property, taking care of it.

So its not about letting your wife/girlfriend/sister drive your car. Its all about letting someone responsible drive your car. I would let my wife drive my car any time and she drives them more than I do.

That being said, if my wife were like one of those other wives can't bother to check the mirrors or use all the technology offered like cameras etc, I would never let her drive my car. Well to be fair, judging from her mentality, I don't think I'd marry her in the first place
Judgmental much?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #57
Showstopper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F91 M8 Comp Vert, Range Rover

I'd definitely let my wife drive the M5. She loves driving fast cars. It started when we had the Benz E63 and she enjoyed it. So she's used to fast cars after that.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #58
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
My wife is also too scared to drive the M5. Looking at her drive her SUV, I concur with what someone described as a lack of spatial awareness. The M5 is a rocketship that regularly catches me by surprise even though I don't push it too hard. It is so deceptively quick and fast to hit 50 in a 35mph zone. Needs a driver with a disciplined right foot and strong situational awareness.
      08-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #59
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

Definitely, she loves it, in fact her and her buddies were doing a charity run down country, like driving to napa from san fran (ish).

Check out the mileage she achieved 876 km or 544 miles! I am lucky to crack 500km on a good day!

+ she looks cool in it!

Cheers
stu
Attached Images

08-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #60
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Definitely do. Trying to teach her how to drift as well. Now we need to find a parking lot big enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #61
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (after F10 M5 ;-)

I would let my wife drive all the time (in fact I would love her to drive it) but she doesn't want to ;-(

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #62
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb11 View Post
She's been asking me if she could give it a go...but I don't know if I should take that risk
YEP wife can drive any time, trouble is she does not want too.
Probably scared.
      08-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #63
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Not only will my wife not drive it, but she has been wary as a passenger too. The power terrifies her and sometimes I'll mess with her a little. Last weekend I was driving along with her as a passenger and she was on the phone oblivious to her surroundings. I thought maybe she could use a little wake-up so I subtly slowed down to about 15 mph and dropped it into 1st gear. The road was empty and she was blathering on about something and had no idea what was going on. I punched it and by the time I cracked off the upshift she was wailing like a banshee for me to stop. Apparently, she was talking to my daughter who could only hear my wife suddenly screaming and had no idea what was going on. My wife says that the acceleration makes her sick to her stomach and she hates it. Go figure. So no, she won't drive it and never wants to. It is an object of fear for her. She made me promise to not surprise her with any more sudden accelerations. Yeah right.

Last edited by MichaelJohn; 08-26-2014 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #64
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Haha some funny posts. My wife loves driving the car and picking on other cars for a race.
In fact on our European Delivery I came down with a cold and she drove on the autobahn at 160 mph racing a 997 turbo and scarring the living hell out of me.
      08-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #65
335iMIAMI
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn
Not only will my wife not drive it, but she has been wary as a passenger too. The power terrifies her and sometimes I'll mess with her a little. Last weekend I was driving along with her as a passenger and she was on the phone oblivious to her surroundings. I thought maybe she could use a little wake-up so I subtly slowed down to about 15 mph and dropped it into 1st gear. The road was empty and she was blathering on about something and had no idea what was going on. I punched it and by the time I cracked off the upshift she was wailing like a banshee for me to stop. Apparently, she was talking to my daughter who could only hear my wife suddenly screaming and had no idea what was going on. My wife says that the acceleration makes her sick to her stomach and she hates it. Go figure. So no, she won't drive it and never wants to. It is an object of fear for her. She made me promise to not surprise her with any more sudden accelerations. Yeah right.
You sir are the man! I would so do the same thing. Got a lot of : out of this post.