Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #89
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Bad things happening at the Navy base in Washington DC now (thought it appropriate to mention it since you are heading to DC). Hope it all gets sorted soon.

Our thoughts and prayers go to the family of those affected.
Yeah heard on XM FOXNEWS this morning. Crazyness. Hopefully things will be settled down by the time I get there.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #90
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Went over the Golden Gate Bridge yesterday. On my way up to Oregon now. Taking the 101 the whole up. EPIC roads up here!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #91
mdm0515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Alright everyone, I have finalized my roadtrip plans for my move to Washington DC. I will be stopping in North Carolina to visit my parents at the end of the drive before I head up to DC though.

So here it is. I have decided to do the "American Delivery" which will be twice as big as the European Delivery I did last year. I will be stopping by and visiting lots of M5 friends along the way. If you are along my route feel free to PM me and we can rendevous. I will be making this trip one to remember. I'll be bringing my Nikon, my tripod, and all of my video equipment. I will be doing a write up just like my European Delivery write up I did last year as well. It might take a while though as I will have to get settled into my new place before I can start to upload the pix and do the write up. Anyways, it's going to be EPIC. After this trip, I will have been to 45 of the 50 United States. I have always said, that in order to understand America, you must see America first.
Nice routing and I am sooooo jealous. Been wanting to take the M5 cross-country since it arrived back from ED. But just not in the cards yet. I've got 47 of the contiguous 48 under my belt and I believe it's the only way to see the country. When you make it to NC PM me and I'll buy you a coffee or a beer. I'm an hour away in Chapel Hill. If we both have time we could even head to the Tail of the Dragon before you motor north to DC

www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html ......not to be missed.

Have Fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #92
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm0515 View Post
Nice routing and I am sooooo jealous. Been wanting to take the M5 cross-country since it arrived back from ED. But just not in the cards yet. I've got 47 of the contiguous 48 under my belt and I believe it's the only way to see the country. When you make it to NC PM me and I'll buy you a coffee or a beer. I'm an hour away in Chapel Hill. If we both have time we could even head to the Tail of the Dragon before you motor north to DC

Have Fun!

If you guys do the Tail of the Dragon, please let me know. I'm in Raleigh, would love to join you guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #93
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

Quote:
Went over the Golden Gate Bridge yesterday. On my way up to Oregon now. Taking the 101 the whole up. EPIC roads up here!
dude.. go on the 1
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #94
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm0515
Quote:
Alright everyone, I have finalized my roadtrip plans for my move to Washington DC. I will be stopping in North Carolina to visit my parents at the end of the drive before I head up to DC though.

So here it is. I have decided to do the "American Delivery" which will be twice as big as the European Delivery I did last year. I will be stopping by and visiting lots of M5 friends along the way. If you are along my route feel free to PM me and we can rendevous. I will be making this trip one to remember. I'll be bringing my Nikon, my tripod, and all of my video equipment. I will be doing a write up just like my European Delivery write up I did last year as well. It might take a while though as I will have to get settled into my new place before I can start to upload the pix and do the write up. Anyways, it's going to be EPIC. After this trip, I will have been to 45 of the 50 United States. I have always said, that in order to understand America, you must see America first.

Have Fun!
Dude I'll def hit u up. I'll be in NC for 5 days next week.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #95
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgtrs2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm0515 View Post

Have Fun!

If you guys do the Tail of the Dragon, please let me know. I'm in Raleigh, would love to join you guys.
Hell yeah, we'll let u know! I love this community!

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #96
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Oh man guys! 13 hours of driving yesterday. EPIC EPIC EPIC!!!! So much amazing and scenic roads I was on. I was pretty much speeding the whole way too! Lol! The M5 is the car to travel cross country in, I'm telling you. Plus my straightpipes are SO epic when driving those roads. Almost every time I pass someone who I think may be any kind of BMW enthusiast I downshift and let them hear my M5 in all it's glory. Like yesterday I came upon a dude who had an E39 540i on a trailer flatbed he was towing with his truck. I got up next to him and and gunned it at WOT and I got a huge thumbs up and he was flashing his high beams! He loved it and so did I!

Last night I was hanging out with my friend who lives in downtown Portland. We were racing up and down the empty streets causing mayhem! There were all these people standing outside of local clubs and bars who became innocent bystanders of the assault by my straitpipes. LOL!

So far, I've been extremely lucky and haven't encountered a single state trooper actively trying to catch speeders. I ended up hitting 160 on this beautiful stretch of open road in Oregon yesterday. It was glorious.

Here's a couple of pix I snapped from yesterday my my iphone. I've taken hundreds of pix already with my Nikon so I already have some amazing shots. Also I'm getting great gas milage. 650hp and I'm still getting 430 miles to the tank! This is why I bought the F10 M5, such an amazing machine!!

Off to Seattle today! Woot!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #97
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Oh man guys! 13 hours of driving yesterday. EPIC EPIC EPIC!!!! So much amazing and scenic roads I was on. I was pretty much speeding the whole way too! Lol! The M5 is the car to travel cross country in, I'm telling you. Plus my straightpipes are SO epic when driving those roads. Almost every time I pass someone who I think may be any kind of BMW enthusiast I downshift and let them hear my M5 in all it's glory. Like yesterday I came upon a dude who had an E39 540i on a trailer flatbed he was towing with his truck. I got up next to him and and gunned it at WOT and I got a huge thumbs up and he was flashing his high beams! He loved it and so did I!

Last night I was hanging out with my friend who lives in downtown Portland. We were racing up and down the empty streets causing mayhem! There were all these people standing outside of local clubs and bars who became innocent bystanders of the assault by my straitpipes. LOL!

So far, I've been extremely lucky and haven't encountered a single state trooper actively trying to catch speeders. I ended up hitting 160 on this beautiful stretch of open road in Oregon yesterday. It was glorious.

Here's a couple of pix I snapped from yesterday my my iphone. I've taken hundreds of pix already with my Nikon so I already have some amazing shots. Also I'm getting great gas milage. 650hp and I'm still getting 430 miles to the tank! This is why I bought the F10 M5, such an amazing machine!!

Off to Seattle today! Woot!!!
Damn im jealous, you just did my favorite drive. I have always wanted to do the northern US route too, sounds amazing! Drive safe and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #98
Falcao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

I am not going to sugar coat anything. DC sucks and roads in DC suck and that is fact. MD and VA road much better. I can't be biased because i live there

Then again, not sure many locations in the U.S can compete with San Diego.
Have a safe trip and Radar is illegal in DC and VA but I leave mine on sometimes when i cross into VA/DC (if DC cop have nothing better to do with their time with all that is going on in the world than to bust some guy in M5 with radar then it is a sad world).

Can't wait to see you car.

Last edited by Falcao; 09-18-2013 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #99
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Finally got to Yellowstone National Park today. EPIC drive on the way in. I got some fantastic shots with the Nikon. Also, had a close run in with an Idaho State Trooper. He caught up to me from behind in an unmarked police car. Luckily I saw him coming from a mile away. He rode my ass for a few miles and was just looking for a reason to pull me over but I set my cruise control to the speed limit. I LOL'd when he finally gave up. Also Montana State Trooper police cars look badass. They use these Soop'd Up Chargers.

Here's a quick iPhone pic of the subset in Montana tonight. Also Yellowstone is amazing!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #100
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

D was that the redwood Forrest pic. Nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #101
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Finally got to Yellowstone National Park today. EPIC drive on the way in. I got some fantastic shots with the Nikon. Also, had a close run in with an Idaho State Trooper. He caught up to me from behind in an unmarked police car. Luckily I saw him coming from a mile away. He rode my ass for a few miles and was just looking for a reason to pull me over but I set my cruise control to the speed limit. I LOL'd when he finally gave up. Also Montana State Trooper police cars look badass. They use these Soop'd Up Chargers.

Here's a quick iPhone pic of the subset in Montana tonight. Also Yellowstone is amazing!
Situational Awareness > LI > V1!!!

Kinda wish I had the time to do the West leg with you Dave. Looks like fun
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #102
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Wow, congrats on the up-and-up career move! That's the focus for now, you'll figure everything else in time.

Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #103
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

wow nice updates! Good luck with the move
      09-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #104
viciousfire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 mustang GT / 2009 335i

Nice pics! Please post up a road trip journal thread when you're all done.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #105
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Everybody, thanks for the well wishes.

I made it to South Dakota yesterday. The whole drive so far I've driven about 2,800 miles since Saturday. I've driven through 6 states before I got to South Dakota and pretty much the whole time I have seen only a very few state troopers. Here's the break down exactly:

California: 3 CHP's
Oregon: Zero
Washington State: 4
Idaho: 1
Montana: 2
Wyoming: 2

I keep a tally on my iPhone every time I see one and I even take pictures of the state trooper cars that I see for recognition purposes.

Where do I think South Dakota stands?

South Dakota: 10!!!

And I haven't even left Rapid City yet! I'm leaving tomorrow and I have to drive through the whole state tomorrow. I was only about 30 miles into South Dakota and I got pulled over by a SD State Trooper. I got him on radar just in time but was still a little over the speed limit when he clocked me. He had an extremely good hiding place, which was directly behind a construction sign coming off of a construction zone. The speed limit was 55mph and he was clocking people just after a turn to which you simply could not see him in time especially because it was just after sunset and dark outside. Anyways, when I asked how fast I was going he said I was 4mph over. I set my cruise control to 60mph which we all know is actually 57mph on our BMW's. he ended up only giving me a warning once he found out I was military. Also surprising was how young the trooper was. I was clearly older than him, he couldn't have been more than late 20's. I thought that was a bit funny. What was not funny was that he almost gave me a ticket for no front plate. I told him my car was registered in Cali, but it didn't matter. Apparently out of state police can still enforce the laws of other states. Lame!!! I didn't care. Still not putting on my front plate though! Lol!

Anyways, South Dakota is ridiculous. Might be a challenging drive tomorrow. But I still had fun in Yellowstone yesterday and at Mt Rushmore today. I had a close run in with a Buffalo yesterday at Yellowstone too! Lol!

Oh also I'd like to say again that I will be doing a write up of the whole trip next month. I have to share some of the sickest roads I have ever driven with you all!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #106
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Waiting for your write-up!
Are those RPi tips or you changed them? they look very much stock on latest pic
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #107
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
Waiting for your write-up!
Are those RPi tips or you changed them? they look very much stock on latest pic
Haha! Yeah I still have my RPi straightpipes on, trust me. Half of America knows this by now. Lol! I have washed my M5 every single day this trip save the exhaust tips. They are almost completely blacked out from the exhaust carbon build up on them. I've decided to leave them alone for the whole trip because they get dirty too quickly even I just cleaned them and secondly for law enforcement reasons. I don't want my exhaust tips to draw attention visually. Yesterday when I got pulled over I shut off the engine even before the trooper got out of his slow police car. I didn't turn on the M5 again until after he left. Lol! I'm not taking any chances. He did ask me about my car though yesterday. He said: "Boy, ur car sure is nice, what's ur mpg in this here thing?!" I told him it has 800hp from the factory and gets 26mpg. He then thanked me for not making him chase me. Lol! True story.

I'll take pictures of my exhaust tips tomorrow to show u all what the effect that straightpipes has on the tips.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #108
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

That last pic with the mountains and the sun gleaming on the M5 just makes it look perfect. Is there a high res?!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #109
jump
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 - Alpine White

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Looking forward to the chicago skyline picture on Sunday. Keep me posted on your progress and ill text you my address.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #110
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul
That last pic with the mountains and the sun gleaming on the M5 just makes it look perfect. Is there a high res?!
Yes, I've got hi-res, but on my Nikon. I've got almost 900 pix on my Nikon so far, but I won't get a chance to upload them until next month. Some of them are simply breathtaking. I can't wait to show then to you all!

Appreciate 0