BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
KKS53
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 Lime Rock '14 M5

My thoughts on my 2014 M5

I wanted to share my quick thoughts on my 2014 M5 with CP that I have had for about 6 weeks and recently had my break-in service.

The car is absolutely unbelievable. The package this car represents- 4 door sedan with a big trunk and Jekyl & Hyde personality - the car can switch from luxurious family sedan to super sports race car in a flash, I'm not sure there are many better in the world. The interior is superb and BMW clearly spent a lot of time sweating the details - every BMW I've had in the past had something in the cabin that I felt was missing or lacking. Not in this M5!! They even got the cup holders right :-) Even compared to my fully loaded the X6m from 2 years ago, the technology packed into this car is superb.

My M5 replaced my 2012 X6M which was a beast and engineering marvel for its size but at 5200 lbs had limitations from a performance standpoint. A lot of posts on this site talk about the M5 being heavy and big but coming down from the X6M my feeling is a little different!!!

I drove down from No. NJ to DC this morning - my first road trip with the car. This afternoon we were driving in the Virginia countryside through some winding roads and pretty country. Both straight line (down the NJ Tpk) and on the winding roads, the performance and handling of the car are jaw dropping from my standpoint!!!!

Bravo BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Yay!!

Now tell this to ftc120! Lol!

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Fantastic review, my business partner just ordered a 2014 M5 (DCT with CP) can't wait to drive it!
      09-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

Yes M5 is a fantastic car. Every time I see a M5 (not seen M6GC on street yet), I fell in love with it and always think damn why I bought 6GC not m5.
Enjoy your ride Man.
2017 M3 Comp PKG 2017 MINI JCW
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519
Yes M5 is a fantastic car. Every time I see a M5 (not seen M6GC on street yet), I fell in love with it and always think damn why I bought 6GC not m5.
Enjoy your ride Man.
Wow! That's a statement! Go f10 m5 !

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
After getting absolutely torn apart yesterday for the thread I posted " bmw failure ", I took my M5 out for a spirited ride just to either reaffirm what I posted or prove the critisms of the current m5 wrong. Keep in mind most of these critisms we're not by me originally as I stated in the thread. Although I will have to say that after last nights ride, the m5 in my opinion is the best handling 4 door sedan in it's class, espcially at 4300 lbs.. The acceleration coming out of corners is ridiculous and it handles like a much smaller sedan. Although we need to keep in mind that the op of this thread is driving a 2014 with CP. I have not driven one as of yet to feel the difference. Again everyone went crazy with my post but if you take the time to read it you will see that most of the critisms I was posting came from other sources. I was just trying to get a feel from other forum members. Truth be known, I LOVE THE M5 ! It has always been my favorite m car, espcially for it's duel personality.

By the way congratulations to the OP (kks53) on the new M5 with CP.
finally, got it
      09-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy View Post
Wow! That's a statement! Go f10 m5 !
Yes . Personally, I Love m5 so much. It is just perfect. The reason I bought 650GC instead of M5 was it seems like too many m5 in the area where I live, so I ended up with 650GC. However, saw one m6GC in dealer several days ago which makes me think about to trade in my 650gc with 6200kms only for a m6gc.
M5 and M6 GC are currently two best bmws.
M5: for the best bargain and super performance
M6GC: all advantages of m5 + style.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I have seen a few M6GC in various GTA BMW dealer showrooms and I have yet to see one on Toronto streets so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519 View Post
Yes . Personally, I Love m5 so much. It is just perfect. The reason I bought 650GC instead of M5 was it seems like too many m5 in the area where I live, so I ended up with 650GC. However, saw one m6GC in dealer several days ago which makes me think about to trade in my 650gc with 6200kms only for a m6gc.
M5 and M6 GC are currently two best bmws.
M5: for the best bargain and super performance
M6GC: all advantages of m5 + style.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Can you post pics please?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I have seen a few M6GC in various GTA BMW dealer showrooms and I have yet to see one on Toronto streets so far.
Yes, so I think I should get one for myself.
M6GC is the way to go. Hah, but the car gonna be my daily drive, when I think about winter conditions I am hesitated. bobblenead, you are also in GTA, how do you think about it? Trade it in or mod it?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Your 650GC is going to take a big hit (considering what you just paid). I would imagine you will take a 15-20% hit (from what you paid). However, if your car is paid by company or can be written off as business expense, then you may want to consider doing the switch over.

I came from a '11 550xi and got into a 13 M5 last year, I was on the lucky side at that time, there weren't too many used 550xi on dealer lots and my dealer needed one to have it on theirs so they offered me a trade in value that I cannot say no to. Otherwise, I would have waited this summer to get myself into a 14 M5.

Yes, the winter driving for the M cars are kind of tricky (even with winter tires), there were a few major snow storms in the GTA last year with dumping of 25+cm, I drove thru them but with lots & lots care & cautions, I never got stuck as I do my daily drive on mostly flat roads. If I were to drive on lots of steep hills conditions or ski country roads, I would never consider driving the car at all. Just park it.

Bottom line is the M car is indeed a bit more fun to drive, esp. up in the cottage country roads, like Muskoka. I recently took my car up north for some spirited driving and it was well worth it and I am very happy with my M.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Your 650GC is going to take a big hit (considering what you just paid). I would imagine you will take a 15-20% hit (from what you paid). However, if your car is paid by company or can be written off as business expense, then you may want to consider doing the switch over.

I came from a '11 550xi and got into a 13 M5 last year, I was on the lucky side at that time, there weren't too many used 550xi on dealer lots and my dealer needed one to have it on theirs so they offered me a trade in value that I cannot say no to. Otherwise, I would have waited this summer to get myself into a 14 M5.

Yes, the winter driving for the M cars are kind of tricky (even with winter tires), there were a few major snow storms in the GTA last year with dumping of 25+cm, I drove thru them but with lots & lots care & cautions, I never got stuck as I do my daily drive on mostly flat roads. If I were to drive on lots of steep hills conditions or ski country roads, I would never consider driving the car at all. Just park it.

Bottom line is the M car is indeed a bit more fun to drive, esp. up in the cottage country roads, like Muskoka. I recently took my car up north for some spirited driving and it was well worth it and I am very happy with my M.
Thanks for reply first. bobblehead. You are the second real bimmer from GTA area I have met (the other guy is Allen from X6 forum who drives a white x6m). Other members from GTA just seem like too quite on the forum.
Yes, I bought it on my personal expensive, so when I am considering trade it in the high depression value of 650 makes me hesitated. However, the M6gc is just too attractive, can't get pass on it.
How do you think your m5 drive in GTA winter? Will there be any difference between m6gc and m5 regarding on the winter snow performance.
My bud gave me a suggestion which is keep the 650GC and get one more M3/M4 in the next year. Do you think it will be a better option for me?
One M6gc drives year around or 650GC for DD plus M4/3 for weekend fun?
991.2 GT3 (coming)

Last edited by wzj519; 09-30-2013 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: miss information
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Sorry OP, not meaning to hijack your original post ...

Actually, in all, I have communicated with about 6-8 M5 GTA owners this past year in this forum, they were all pretty active when they got their cars but soon after, say about 6 months into the ownership, they got all quiet and have never heard from.

I have just past my 1 year of M5 ownership and the winter driving experience was actually a learning process of how to drive with RWD all over again (as my past cars in the last 10 years had been AWD). That's why I was saying it will take a bit of patient and experience of not to step on the gas too much, esp. with a 500+hp car. It can really get yourself into big trouble on busy roads/highways.

As for the M6GC & M5 difference, besides a 4 vs 5-passengers car, the M6GC does look much more attractive and the exclusivity on the GTA roads will def. attract lots of drivers who will envy such a hot car. Both cars' winter driving capability would be more or less identical as both are heavy cars.

As for added car, I would say get a M3/4 as your weekend drive car and use the 650GC as your comfort DD. In this way, you are getting two different types of performance cars. For me, I am in the process of considering getting a Porsche Macan Turbo for next summer, once the upcoming LA show details all the car's final specifications & look, I may be putting it down as my weekend grocery getter I went to Pfaff last week for discussion and the sales guy says there are 30+ buyers for the Macan already.

Quote:
Thanks for reply first. bobblehead. You are the second real bimmer from GTA area I have met (the other guy is Allen from X6 forum who drives a white x6m). Other members from GTA just seem like too quite on the forum.
Yes, I bought it on my personal expensive, so when I am considering trade it in the high depression value of 650 makes me hesitated. However, the M6gc is just too attractive, can't get pass on it.
How do you think your m5 drive in GTA winter? Will there be any difference between m6gc and m5 regarding on the winter snow performance.
My bud gave me a suggestion which is keep the 650GC and get one more M3/M4 in the next year. Do you think it will be a better option for me?
One M6gc drives year around or 650GC for DD plus M4/3 for weekend fun?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry OP, not meaning to hijack your original post ...

Actually, in all, I have communicated with about 6-8 M5 GTA owners this past year in this forum, they were all pretty active when they got their cars but soon after, say about 6 months into the ownership, they got all quiet and have never heard from.

I have just past my 1 year of M5 ownership and the winter driving experience was actually a learning process of how to drive with RWD all over again (as my past cars in the last 10 years had been AWD). That's why I was saying it will take a bit of patient and experience of not to step on the gas too much, esp. with a 500+hp car. It can really get yourself into big trouble on busy roads/highways.

As for the M6GC & M5 difference, besides a 4 vs 5-passengers car, the M6GC does look much more attractive and the exclusivity on the GTA roads will def. attract lots of drivers who will envy such a hot car. Both cars' winter driving capability would be more or less identical as both are heavy cars.

As for added car, I would say get a M3/4 as your weekend drive car and use the 650GC as your comfort DD. In this way, you are getting two different types of performance cars. For me, I am in the process of considering getting a Porsche Macan Turbo for next summer, once the upcoming LA show details all the car's final specifications & look, I may be putting it down as my weekend grocery getter I went to Pfaff last week for discussion and the sales guy says there are 30+ buyers for the Macan already.
Thanks again. Yes, porsche Macan is a super nice car. I am also looking at it nowadays.
Yes my bud and you both told me same things keep the 650GC and add some mods, get one more M4 or Porsche 911 GT3 (If I don't have other huge expense) nest year.
Yes, for performance of 650GC I have already been satisfied. It is a heavy car with AWD. The only thing I want with her is straight line performance. In straight line it can even keep C63 w/o Performance package.
I just can't get pass on the beauty of M6GC.
Have you done any mods on your M5 yet?
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

#1 on the list is getting exhaust this winter months to get some sportier sounds (I figure I will wait until X'mas time to see if there are any deals out there and order it and have it installed by early March ... just in time for spring). Other than that nothing else really.

Quote:
Thanks again. Yes, porsche Macan is a super nice car. I am also looking at it nowadays.
Yes my bud and you both told me same things keep the 650GC and add some mods, get one more M4 or Porsche 911 GT3 (If I don't have other huge expense) nest year.
Yes, for performance of 650GC I have already been satisfied. It is a heavy car with AWD. The only thing I want with her is straight line performance. In straight line it can even keep C63 w/o Performance package.
I just can't get pass on the beauty of M6GC.
Have you done any mods on your M5 yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
#1 on the list is getting exhaust this winter months to get some sportier sounds (I figure I will wait until X'mas time to see if there are any deals out there and order it and have it installed by early March ... just in time for spring). Other than that nothing else really.
Yep I have done most cosmetic mods on my car so far. Just waiting for the ECU tuning and some products for improve handling. I do think about BBK because stock ones seems too soft, but the price is too expensive. 10k for BBK 10K for HRE wheels.
Again let me doubt is it worth to moding it or get a m6.
A good exhaust is must for m5, the stock ones are too quiet. My friend has Eisenmann Race with his m5. The sound is just awesome, but I do think it is too loud sometimes.
As an real bimmer, you should get the akraprovic ones. Unbeatable exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

As for your mods, $10K for BBK is too much. HRE wheels may be worth it as they can be resold or reused on the next bimmer. As for tune, just be careful that your warranty may be compromised as some dealers are extremely picky on this sort of thing, even though your issue may NOT even be related.

One blogger here (lived in Markham - white M5 - named Kevin) who had Eisenmann Race for about 1 month before switching over to full Akra. He posted that for sale (I think $1000 cheaper than what he paid) and I thought about it at that time but decided not to go for it because it's a bit too loud for me. So, I am thinking either Eisenmann Sports or Active Autowerke (which has just finalized their exhaust recently).

Quote:
Yep I have done most cosmetic mods on my car so far. Just waiting for the ECU tuning and some products for improve handling. I do think about BBK because stock ones seems too soft, but the price is too expensive. 10k for BBK 10K for HRE wheels.
Again let me doubt is it worth to moding it or get a m6.
A good exhaust is must for m5, the stock ones are too quiet. My friend has Eisenmann Race with his m5. The sound is just awesome, but I do think it is too loud sometimes.
As an real bimmer, you should get the akraprovic ones. Unbeatable exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
As for your mods, $10K for BBK is too much. HRE wheels may be worth it as they can be resold or reused on the next bimmer. As for tune, just be careful that your warranty may be compromised as some dealers are extremely picky on this sort of thing, even though your issue may NOT even be related.

One blogger here (lived in Markham - white M5 - named Kevin) who had Eisenmann Race for about 1 month before switching over to full Akra. He posted that for sale (I think $1000 cheaper than what he paid) and I thought about it at that time but decided not to go for it because it's a bit too loud for me. So, I am thinking either Eisenmann Sports or Active Autowerke (which has just finalized their exhaust recently).
Yes for ECU tuning I am looking at Dinan, my past cars are all bmw and with dinan tuning. All of them are also done at Budds bmw(I am sure you heard about the dealer, only Dinan distributor in Ontario and it is BMW dealer) so it will be no issue when I bring my baby for services.
Yes BBK is too pricey, I have got some prices from tuning shop. Cheapest one gonna charges me 9k for pars and installation.
Eisenmann race is way too loud and the sport version does not have enough attractive sound. Bimmersport(the bmw tuning shop in mississuaga) told me the Eisenmann sport is almost same as bmw own performance exhaust.
For my exhaust, I am satisfy with it now (I have m performance package) so the exhaust is tuned by M). Most folks drive 650 think the exhaust comes with m package just the color difference comparing with regular one). However, my SA told me exactly they are totally different. The one comes with M PKG is tuned by M. It may only right on GC, the coupe maybe different story.
For your exhaust choices, I think AA id the way to go. Ah. Forget to mention Dinan will release exhaust for M5 in next month. I think it will be a nice option.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

^ I had my '08 535 dinan done at Budds many years ago with tune & exhaust. The Dinan exhaust I had for about 1 week before I had to take them off, the drone drove me nuts and I had many headaches from it, therefore, I will not be looking at this brand anymore.

btw, I am aware the Eisen Sports sound just a tad better than stock, that's why I am still evaluating the choices.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
^ I had my '08 535 dinan done at Budds many years ago with tune & exhaust. The Dinan exhaust I had for about 1 week before I had to take them off, the drone drove me nuts and I had many headaches from it, therefore, I will not be looking at this brand anymore.

btw, I am aware the Eisen Sports sound just a tad better than stock, that's why I am still evaluating the choices.
since you have done the tuning with Dinan, did you feel Dinan really makes a differences? I had it and I was pretty satisfied with it. Am I alone feel like this, I saw lots folks' posts. Most of them think Dinan doesn't worth the price.
Sorry to hear about your experience with Dinan exhaust. However, I also had it on my past X6 and I am pretty satisfied with it, I think the drone of it was least among some brands I had experienced even less than BMW performance. Maybe they didn't install it correctly, so you experienced the horrible drones. Finally, I also changed back stock ones, maybe that's just me. I even can not bear little bit drone.

BTW, did you find there are more m5 on the GTA streets? Most of them are Asians (most are Chinese).
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I have to say it's alright, nothing spectacular, given that it costed almost $3000 (if I remembered correctly). There are lots of haters of Dinan, partly because their claims have never been proven and with big $ for many stages to upgrade, one can imagine Dinan can falsify their data to make people buy their stuff.

I will say I have seen about 20 M5s over this past year (mostly MCB and white color), mostly in North Toronto/Markham/Richmond Hill. Most are young Asians and the very first M5 I came across last year was driven by a pretty young Asian girl that I can barely see her on the driver seat. LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have to say it's alright, nothing spectacular, given that it costed almost $3000 (if I remembered correctly). There are lots of haters of Dinan, partly because their claims have never been proven and with big $ for many stages to upgrade, one can imagine Dinan can falsify their data to make people buy their stuff.

I will say I have seen about 20 M5s over this past year (mostly MCB and white color), mostly in North Toronto/Markham/Richmond Hill. Most are young Asians and the very first M5 I came across last year was driven by a pretty young Asian girl that I can barely see her on the driver seat. LOL
Ah, If my guess is right you are talking about my friend. The girl In MCB M5.
I respect her, rarely to see a pretty young asian knows car so much.
Some young Asian male M5 drivers know nothing about cars, (there is no racial offence here, I am also asian), they drive m5 just because m5 and m3 are cars attractive for Asian girls.
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0