BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Question Questions to LCI & CP owners

Those that have CP (mine is DCT), do you hear what sounds like an exhaust rattle when lifting off the throttle abruptly from say 5K revs in 3rd/4th gear (engine breaking only)? I've got my 1200 mile break-in service scheduled, so just curious as to what I should ask to be looked at.

Those that have LCI cars, did they come equipped with the 'M' footrest? Mine has the standard F10 black plastic footrest...

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong section to post such a question.

Last edited by Dionysus; 10-07-2013 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Just_Joe_M5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

I have not noticed any exhaust rattling however I am also in break-in and haven't allowed it to perform any extreme gear changes yet.

The footrest is a silver 'M' footrest - looks good. The dealer forgot to peel off the blue protective cover but that was easily rectified :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

My LCI has the Black foot rest and I would never have noticed it till you asked, who looks down there.
NO Exhaust noises and I have now covered 1850 MILES.
CP does not drive any different till high RPM, the CP is a wast of money here in the UK, the car can not be driven to use the 15 BHP unless on a track.
Frankly 15 BHP can be gained and lost on the Fuel you put in the car, I defy anyone who can really feel the difference in even high speed road driving, I drove them back to back and noticed Naf All.
The exhaust sound is no different than mine as I have wired the valves open.
Money saved IMO.
      10-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Just_Joe_M5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Perhaps the black footrest is a UK (RHD) thing.... Maybe not enough room on the left for the full plate and BMW didn't bother customizing for the "wrong side of the car" :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Joe_M5 View Post
Perhaps the black footrest is a UK (RHD) thing.... Maybe not enough room on the left for the full plate and BMW didn't bother customizing for the "wrong side of the car" :-)
Yea maybe, not bothered TBH.
      10-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
CP does not drive any different till high RPM, the CP is a wast of money here in the UK, the car can not be driven to use the 15 BHP unless on a track.
Frankly 15 BHP can be gained and lost on the Fuel you put in the car, I defy anyone who can really feel the difference in even high speed road driving, I drove them back to back and noticed Naf All.
Money saved IMO.
John, you keep stating all of this one mulitple posts as if it is truth data (or maybe to justify your purchase?)

The truth is the CP is more than a horsepower increase... there are significant steering changes, damper changes, spring rate changes, and stabilser rate changes, and a new Active M differential. (link) Combined this make for a much different driving experience.

No, the steering in the '14 M5 CP is not the same as the '13 after March or '14 baseline M5s (see second slide in the link above), it is another step above the baseline 'serie.'

No, the exhaust in the 14 M5 CP is not the same as your exhaust, merely wired open. In fact, the CP exhaust can also benefit from being wired open or using an exhaustmeister if increased sound at lower RPM is your goal. The CP exhaust is labeled a sport exhaust by BMW -- all this means is that baffles are removed from the normal exhaust and black tips are added. However, regular 13 and 14 M5s have baffles in them, and no amount of valve wiring will eliminate their sound reduction properties. Now if you buy new or black chrome your existing tips, and find a way to remove those baffles, then your exhaust will be the same as the CP, i guess.

To me, the increased HP is secondary to the increase in Torque and hence overall power... this is seen starting at ~5700 RPM. If you are not ever revving your engine up that high to see its effects, I would argue that the M5 is not the right car for you. Is the difference perceptable? Very hard to say without lots of driving of both, but the numbers dont lie -- it is a faster car, and BMW did it to keep the M5 inline performance-wise with its peer group.

CP may be a waste of money in the UK, but given your fuel argument above, your road sizes and driving conditions, one could extend your argument to say that an M5 isn't "worth it."

Not mentioned, but one of my favorite aspects of the CP is the springs and ride height. Yes, you can replicate this with aftermarket for much cheaper, but seeing how many people have removed, resold, or otherwise complained of rubbing/clunking/etc with aftermaket springs, I much prefer the indigenous BMW solution.

As for the money saved point... at the end of the day it is your wallet, and I will be the first one to concede that the CP costs more than it rightly should... I would even go one step further and state that its changes should be incorporated into all M5s.

Sorry for the lengthy thread jack, and not trying to pick a fight with you John. Just think that sometimes the CP is dismissed more easily than it need be.
      10-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
RidgeRacer
Rep
Drives: BMW Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Sorry for the lengthy thread jack, and not trying to pick a fight with you John. Just think that sometimes the CP is dismissed more easily than it need be.
You're both right. The CP to me is not a good for everyone upgrade, it's a good for some upgrade. If you live in an area with broken pavement like I do, then it drives more vibration into the cabin. That wouldn't bother me on a Porsche, but the F10 is prone to rattles, and I'd rather sacrifice some handling to have no rattles and less vibration. If I lived where you live, I'd probably want the CP.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Just_Joe_M5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
John, you keep stating all of this one mulitple posts as if it is truth data (or maybe to justify your purchase?)

The truth is the CP is more than a horsepower increase... there are significant steering changes, damper changes, spring rate changes, and stabilser rate changes, and a new Active M differential. (link) Combined this make for a much different driving experience.

No, the steering in the '14 M5 CP is not the same as the '13 after March or '14 baseline M5s (see second slide in the link above), it is another step above the baseline 'serie.'

No, the exhaust in the 14 M5 CP is not the same as your exhaust, merely wired open. In fact, the CP exhaust can also benefit from being wired open or using an exhaustmeister if increased sound at lower RPM is your goal. The CP exhaust is labeled a sport exhaust by BMW -- all this means is that baffles are removed from the normal exhaust and black tips are added. However, regular 13 and 14 M5s have baffles in them, and no amount of valve wiring will eliminate their sound reduction properties. Now if you buy new or black chrome your existing tips, and find a way to remove those baffles, then your exhaust will be the same as the CP, i guess.

To me, the increased HP is secondary to the increase in Torque and hence overall power... this is seen starting at ~5700 RPM. If you are not ever revving your engine up that high to see its effects, I would argue that the M5 is not the right car for you. Is the difference perceptable? Very hard to say without lots of driving of both, but the numbers dont lie -- it is a faster car, and BMW did it to keep the M5 inline performance-wise with its peer group.

CP may be a waste of money in the UK, but given your fuel argument above, your road sizes and driving conditions, one could extend your argument to say that an M5 isn't "worth it."

Not mentioned, but one of my favorite aspects of the CP is the springs and ride height. Yes, you can replicate this with aftermarket for much cheaper, but seeing how many people have removed, resold, or otherwise complained of rubbing/clunking/etc with aftermaket springs, I much prefer the indigenous BMW solution.

As for the money saved point... at the end of the day it is your wallet, and I will be the first one to concede that the CP costs more than it rightly should... I would even go one step further and state that its changes should be incorporated into all M5s.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I am in the UK and had the CP been available when I placed my order i would have got it. Not for the extra hp but for all the other features b1 mentions plus it looks more cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6
My LCI has the Black foot rest and I would never have noticed it till you asked, who looks down there.
NO Exhaust noises and I have now covered 1850 MILES.
Money saved IMO.
Hi John, do you have them
Wired permanently open? Or is it remote?

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash21
I am in the UK and had the CP been available when I placed my order i would have got it. Not for the extra hp but for all the other features b1 mentions plus it looks more cool.
I am in the uk too, I would have just got it for that sweet ride height! Very true about saving money on aftermarket springs but then have rubbing issues.

I'm
Waiting to see someone post a vid, with cp exhaust wired with this exhaustmiester.

Bet that would sound great!

B1 you forgot to mention those cp wheels including in the price that not everyone has, they grow on me everyday!

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot
Quote:
Money saved IMO.

+1000
I own a comp pack as well and completely agree the steering and suspension mods make it worth the money alone ( see my comparison of my CP 2014 SG/SO M6 vs a 2013 non comp M6 I drove in Germany extensively over on the M6 post . FYI everyone you CAN feel the torque not dropping off until well after 6000 rpm versus 5500 in the non CP . You can't judge it if you haven't driven it hard .
George
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
FYI everyone you CAN feel the torque not dropping off until well after 6000 rpm versus 5500 in the non CP . You can't judge it if you haven't driven it hard .
George
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy View Post
I am in the uk too, I would have just got it for that sweet ride height! B1 you forgot to mention those cp wheels including in the price that not everyone has, they grow on me everyday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash21 View Post
Torque? Driven Hard? Ride height? CP wheels? Look Cool?

here's a pic of mine, capturing all of those in one photo...
the caracciola karussell at Nurburgring
View post on imgur.com

10-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #14
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
so i've driven CP twice, stock LCI once and I own pre LCI. The CP is a must have option in my view. forget the power uplift but the suspension, steering and ride changes make the car a lot more nimble.

it was so good i ordered a new car, pick up Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep

B-1 your car looks

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
Just_Joe_M5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Torque? Driven Hard? Ride height? CP wheels? Look Cool?

View post on imgur.com

Gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
mpgrant5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 cs + 340d

I agree my m5 cp is on its way from the factory to the uk. I have driven 20k miles in my pre lci m5 so I will report my thoughts when I have covered a couple of thousands miles in the cp m5. For me it was not a option I had to have the cp m5
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Joe_M5 View Post
I have not noticed any exhaust rattling however I am also in break-in and haven't allowed it to perform any extreme gear changes yet.

The footrest is a silver 'M' footrest - looks good. The dealer forgot to peel off the blue protective cover but that was easily rectified :-)
OK thanks, not an extreme gear change, just abrupt lift off throttle in gear (using efficient engine, gear change in gentlest setting). I've had an occasional metallic 'clink' (since new) over some bumps, initially thought this was suspension, but perhaps it's an exhaust mount. Will ask master technician to investigate at 1200 service.

Regarding footrest, agreed looks nice, one of those nice small things that mark out the M, perhaps it's just a UK / RHD constraint.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

In all honesty the M5 is overkill here no doubt.
There is not many places we can exploit the car at all, thats probably why I said what I said.
I will never be able to run this car to it's max. But I still want one.
You are not picking a fight just expressing what you believe , if I lived in a country that I could fully use this car I just May have been tempted by CP.
PS) the exhaust did not sound that much different to me.
      10-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy View Post
B1 you forgot to mention those cp wheels including in the price that not everyone has, they grow on me everyday!
wheels might be growing on you me and 100s other people, but they are NOT forged and weight MORE than 343M, which are FORGED

so i find it very stupid move from bmw
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #21
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
In all honesty the M5 is overkill here no doubt.
There is not many places we can exploit the car at all, thats probably why I said what I said.
I will never be able to run this car to it's max. But I still want one.
i agree with B1 and i also agree with John, only due the ROADS fact in UK, which are terrible
my car never drives straight in uk, when i take hands of steering wheel to check my alignment
as soon as i hit french highway it drives straight
checked it many times with x6m, my m3 and my m5
all my friends have same issues

c'mon John, Germany is just couple hours drive away
and UK has LOADS of amazing race tracks
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #22
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:

View post on imgur.com

Your car always looks lower at the rear than mine, moving or not

Perhaps it's acceleration or luggage?
Appreciate 0