M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-11-2018, 02:18 AM   #1
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MBB F90 M5

Increasing the Power

Currently have the Evolve stage 2 software on my car with Downpipes.

i hear of possible rod bending issues with increrasing the power over the 700lbft so if i want to car make over that what are the next steps in achieving this.

i know the clutch is probably on its limit and iv'e read about software for the gear box to give an additional 20% clamping force but is this proven or just an adaption reset tool that created hype

SSP clutch's sounds the better option to me with the up-rated baskets but what internal work is required to safely increase the power.

thoughts chaps?

whats the limit for drive shafts and the diff? and importantly the stock turbo's
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

I'm in the same boat, except I got clutches. I think the next steps would be meth, turbos, axles, shaft, built engine.

I'm not so sure if I want to put meth on the car, mainly for safety reasons, but then again I'm not sure if bigger turbos alone would be safe too...
      02-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

What year is your car and how many miles?

BIG thing is keeping these things well maintained and tuned properly.

650 wtq is about limitation of stock clutches. The engine can withstand more (again as long as everything is running well and maintained properly).

I would suggest doing baskets at same time as the clutches of you go 700 whp/wtq.

Rods tend to be the weak point in the motors when running high boost, but it depends on if you want to dump that much money into you car or not.

Here are some pics of stock vs upgraded rods
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

My car is a 2015 and has done 32k now only just taken it to stage 2.

been well maintained as it should, i don't want to do a full build so bolt on options is probably as far as i will go with it but reliability is a must for me as i use the car daily i just wanted to put a few feelers out among people on here who have pushed the power and floors in the design of the M5 and the limits of individual components

Last edited by JK-M5; 02-11-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolov View Post
I'm in the same boat, except I got clutches. I think the next steps would be meth, turbos, axles, shaft, built engine.

I'm not so sure if I want to put meth on the car, mainly for safety reasons, but then again I'm not sure if bigger turbos alone would be safe too...
You can also run just water injection...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolov View Post

You can also run just water injection...
As long as you have a quality set up with good connections it isn't that dangerous. Run 50/50 meth distilled water. Wouldn't recommend just water
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathon kelly View Post
My car is a 2015 and has done 32k now only just taken it to stage 2.

been well maintained as it should, i don't want to do a full build so bolt on options is probably as far as i will go with it but reliability is a must for me as i use the car daily i just wanted to put a few feelers out among people on here who have pushed the power and floors in the design of the M5 and the limits of individual components
Unless you are running your car hard with sticky tires I think you would be fine without upgrading the drive shaft, axels. Diff mount would be a good idea though as they have snapped on guys running high power with sticky tires
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #8
V8munro
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Sakhir Orange

I have an evolve tuned car, they do another map (stage2+) that runs more power but you will need the ssp clutches. The 20% extra clamping is rubbish and just a reset tool as you say. Dss axles are only needed for drag radials.

Insta: Tommy_turb0
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok Cool. so we saying anything up to 750 is safe for these cars internally, last thing I want is an Engine build on my hands. unintentionally
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #10
V8munro
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Sakhir Orange

The stage 2 map is very good, its the low down torque that kills these engines i believe but most maps have gradual torque curves to stop the clutches slipping and they can take more ho and boost than the fuelling can supply so on a stage2 id say its a pretty safe tune imo.

Insta: Tommy_turb0
Appreciate 0