BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Battery conditioner ?.

Anybody using a trickle/battery conditioner on their M5 here ?. Will probably not use my car much when full on winter arrives, so might invest in such an item now. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Anybody using a trickle/battery conditioner on their M5 here ?. Will probably not use my car much when full on winter arrives, so might invest in such an item now. Thanks.
I use the same .75 ampere Battery Tender that I use for the motorcycles and it works fine. If the battery is down a bit it may take a day or two to reach full charge, but for my use I'm in no hurry.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Hi Simon, I put mine on trickle once a week.
Sometimes leave it on for 24 hours.

It can't hurt, I intend to use mine sometimes over the winter for long runs, I will fit winter wheels/tyres though.
      10-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Simon H
Major
Rep

Thanks for the replys chaps. John, where are you connecting the charger, onto the battery itself, or the terminals under the bonnet ?, thankyou.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replys chaps. John, where are you connecting the charger, onto the battery itself, or the terminals under the bonnet ?, thankyou.
Under the bonnet mate.
I got one of these multi battery chargers I set it to "Jell battery" and it will condition charge, it can be left connected indefinitely
      10-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Under the bonnet mate.
I got one of these multi battery chargers I set it to "Jell battery" and it will condition charge, it can be left connected indefinitely
Thanks John, will have a shufty for the terminals to use, but will find them under the bonnet.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Thanks John, will have a shufty for the terminals to use, but will find them under the bonnet.
Not sure what the Brit meaning is for 'shufty', but the battery charger connections under the bonnet are covered in the owner's manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Not sure what the Brit meaning is for 'shufty', but the battery charger connections under the bonnet are covered in the owner's manual.
Hi Mate,
"Shufty", in this sense, means, have a look for. Just peeped at the manual, and found the connections locations, thankyou.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Simon
make sure you use the terminals under the engine, if you connect direct to the battery it confuses the in car battery monitor, and can cause other chaos.

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
Simon
make sure you use the terminals under the engine, if you connect direct to the battery it confuses the in car battery monitor, and can cause other chaos.

Neil.
Thanks Neil,
Ive found the correct terminal locations, and was aware of some of the problems of using the battery terminals themselves. Ive heard of ECU damage being caused, by not using the correct locations on BMWs before ?.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I only know that the batter monitor thinks there is less juice than what's in the battery and can shut down non essential things even though there is plenty of juice.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Neil,
Ive found the correct terminal locations, and was aware of some of the problems of using the battery terminals themselves. Ive heard of ECU damage being caused, by not using the correct locations on BMWs before ?.
Just to be sure they are:
Negative "Steel looking POST" front L/Hand side.
Positive (Red Plastic cover) Back L/hand side by bulkhead.
      10-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

I recommend this charger:
4 stages
http://www.weathertech.com/weathertech-battery-charger/
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Anyone ever charge via the 12V lighter adapter receptacles (the one in front of the shifter and the other one is under passenger wheel well). I have a Ctek 7002 charger and it does have accessories for using the lighter receptacles. Safe on an F10 M5?

http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/#CTEK Multi US 7002

http://smartercharger.com/products/a...ator-cig-plug/
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
Anyone ever charge via the 12V lighter adapter receptacles (the one in front of the shifter and the other one is under passenger wheel well). I have a Ctek 7002 charger and it does have accessories for using the lighter receptacles. Safe on an F10 M5?

http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/#CTEK Multi US 7002

http://smartercharger.com/products/a...ator-cig-plug/
I'm not sure but everything that I have read indicates that you should use the terminals provided in the engine compartment. Whenever I see the dealer cars being charged in the showroom, they also use these terminals.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
I'm not sure but everything that I have read indicates that you should use the terminals provided in the engine compartment. Whenever I see the dealer cars being charged in the showroom, they also use these terminals.
Yeah. You are right. I just checked the manual and it explicitly says NOT to use the receptacles and only use the engine compartment terminals. Ctek charger is now hooked up to terminals and charging in progress.

I got the low battery message from the car sitting the better part of 3 months now here in the northeast except for a few short rides around the neighborhood to keep things moving. Have not been able to do that over a month and only started it for and let it run for about 5 minutes couple weeks ago.

This is the first winter I can't take the car out (or won't) at all due to salt and potholes. All should be ok now with the tender topping it off and maintaining until the thaw.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #17
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Anyone know if the F10 M5 (2013) uses Hawker or Optima AGM batteries? My Ctek charger has two modes. One for regular batteries and some AGM and a "snowflake" mode which they say is for Optima and Hawker AGM batteries. Can't tell what OEM battery is in there.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #18
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

I put on a Battery Tender Plus that I use for the gel cells from my boat when I pull them for the winter. I did this because I got a warning that I had discharged it last Friday evening when I washed before Saturday clear bra installation. The warning went away when I started it and moved it, but it put the charger on nonetheless, just because I was not driving it this week. I have had it on for four hours and don't have a blinking green light yet to indicate I'm getting close... The car only has 700 miles... This is silliness...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 05:40 AM   #19
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm thinking about taking the car in for a new battery. It is two months old, and I can't get it to "green" blinking or solid status. The trickle charger is a Deltran Bettery Tender Plus, the same as BMW's (Deltran makes them). The problem is that if the battery still starts the car, I suspect they won't replace it, regardless if it won't hit full charge... The car is two months old... In any event, I should probably get it into them to "mark my territory"/go on record right now, as a potential battle may ensue in the not too distant future. I think I have a dud. Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #20
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

It took my m5 almost 2 days to go to full on my battery charger. The problem could lie with the battery charger itself. I would wait it out and give it a few more days of charging. If this doesnt work, then maybe a trip to the shop would be in order.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #21
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
Anyone know if the F10 M5 (2013) uses Hawker or Optima AGM batteries? My Ctek charger has two modes. One for regular batteries and some AGM and a "snowflake" mode which they say is for Optima and Hawker AGM batteries. Can't tell what OEM battery is in there.
My garage is pretty cold so when I used the CTEK a few weeks ago, just put it in the snowflake mode. Had no issues at all and the M was fully charged in roughly 30 hours. I could have kept it on but finally got a set of all season tires on the car so have been able to drive it. As far as specific type of battery, I think it is still a conventional type. You can unscrew those two plastic nuts on the trunk floor however and get access to it. (It's located right where our old spare tires used to be in days of old )
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #22
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettt View Post
It took my m5 almost 2 days to go to full on my battery charger. The problem could lie with the battery charger itself. I would wait it out and give it a few more days of charging. If this doesnt work, then maybe a trip to the shop would be in order.
The charger is sound. I use it all the time on my boat's gel cells, but you have me intending to put it on and leave it on this weekend to see if I can get "green".
Appreciate 0