M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
twistedf80m3
Private
Rep
Drives: f80 m3

Leaking injector caused engine to seize?

Hi guys

I have a F80 M3 but recently had picked up a F10 M5 2014, sakir on sakir for a very good price from a wholesaler where the car was taken in as a new car trade.

The car only had 42k miles on it but it sat around for about 2 months because of me being busy. When I had first gotten it, ran pretty good I drove it down from NYC to my place in Miami.

I went a few days ago to take it for a spin, got full tank of gas and the car misfired bad on the highway. Raw fuel was coming out, I turned it off and had it towed to the local shop. After replacing all 8 injectors, seals, proper coding the car was drivable again.

Unfortunately it ran for about a day and after that the motor locked up. Could not get it to crank or start.

Long story short engine is seized.

I am pretty upset at this whole situation but from quick looking it seems this is a common problem. I did have these issues on my old n54 335 and the motor would never "lock" after leaking injectors. I had a 13 M5 3 years ago for a bit that also had a leaky injector but the car ran OK unless it was cold started, BMW replaced it and all was well. That car has over 120k miles on it now. I have also seen some on here that have had their motor be fine....I guess its the luck of the draw.

I am just going to let the car sit until I figure out what I want to do. Most likely wont be for another few months or a year at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
///M_life
Private
Rep
Drives: M6, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbrangerover View Post
Hi guys

I have a F80 M3 but recently had picked up a F10 M5 2014, sakir on sakir for a very good price from a wholesaler where the car was taken in as a new car trade.

The car only had 42k miles on it but it sat around for about 2 months because of me being busy. When I had first gotten it, ran pretty good I drove it down from NYC to my place in Miami.

I went a few days ago to take it for a spin, got full tank of gas and the car misfired bad on the highway. Raw fuel was coming out, I turned it off and had it towed to the local shop. After replacing all 8 injectors, seals, proper coding the car was drivable again.

Unfortunately it ran for about a day and after that the motor locked up. Could not get it to crank or start.

Long story short engine is seized.

I am pretty upset at this whole situation but from quick looking it seems this is a common problem. I did have these issues on my old n54 335 and the motor would never "lock" after leaking injectors. I had a 13 M5 3 years ago for a bit that also had a leaky injector but the car ran OK unless it was cold started, BMW replaced it and all was well. That car has over 120k miles on it now. I have also seen some on here that have had their motor be fine....I guess its the luck of the draw.

I am just going to let the car sit until I figure out what I want to do. Most likely wont be for another few months or a year at least.
Shit man that sucks sorry to hear that. I have a 13 M5 and no issues on the injectors yet with 67k but they are covered under extended warranty by BMW. Do you think they will replace the engine for you if its the injectors that caused the engine failure?
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      04-27-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
///M_life
Private
Rep

From being on the forum ill be honest, its hard to tell if these cars are reliable and the post you see on the forum are just sparingly while most people never come across any major issues driving their M5 or if these cars truly arent that reliable. Seems like everyday i see a post of an engine blowing or something breaking/not working haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
bmwdinan5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dinan5

I lost my engine due to leaky injectors.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #5
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdinan5 View Post
I lost my engine due to leaky injectors.
You guys didnt not get any pre-failure symptoms? The engine is just "gone"??

Feel like there would be a way to know your injectors or one of them is going bad before the engine just goes
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
twistedf80m3
Private
Rep

I believe the car sitting for the couple of weeks may have caused this issue to be more catastrophic ? I'm not too sure I'm not that knowledgeable on this stuff.

I do know that I had several n54 335s that had leaky injectors for thousands of miles and would spit out gas and one I drove 10k miles like that for over a year and it's still running smooth.

I had no warning on my 13 either besides little misfire in the seat months leading up to it. It also happened on the highway, I remember when it happened there was a huge cloud of smoke that filled the highway. I thought I had blown the engine in that case too. I managed to drive my 13 m5 misfiring and spitting gas for 40 miles before it completely gave up. After The injector repair all was well. Car is still good to this day after being tuned and beat on i spoke to the new owner the other day.

BMW has said they will not help me out at all. They are wanting a full tear down at my cost before they even attempt to see if they'll cover anything. They also don't give a rats ass as I'm not the original owner.

In this case no warning at all. I had driven the car down 95 on a long trip and it has gotten great MPG and no misfires or anything.

It's a shame bmw has become so troubled as a brand with reliability. I used to love these cars but this surely is my last one.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
I believe the car sitting for the couple of weeks may have caused this issue to be more catastrophic ? I'm not too sure I'm not that knowledgeable on this stuff.

I do know that I had several n54 335s that had leaky injectors for thousands of miles and would spit out gas and one I drove 10k miles like that for over a year and it's still running smooth.

I had no warning on my 13 either besides little misfire in the seat months leading up to it. It also happened on the highway, I remember when it happened there was a huge cloud of smoke that filled the highway. I thought I had blown the engine in that case too. I managed to drive my 13 m5 misfiring and spitting gas for 40 miles before it completely gave up. After The injector repair all was well. Car is still good to this day after being tuned and beat on i spoke to the new owner the other day.

BMW has said they will not help me out at all. They are wanting a full tear down at my cost before they even attempt to see if they'll cover anything. They also don't give a rats ass as I'm not the original owner.

In this case no warning at all. I had driven the car down 95 on a long trip and it has gotten great MPG and no misfires or anything.

It's a shame bmw has become so troubled as a brand with reliability. I used to love these cars but this surely is my last one.
So from my understanding you continued to drive the car with the bad injector for another 40+ miles until the injector fully failed, then you had the injector(s) replaced and now all is good? Motor is still good?

Some make it sound as if it just happens blindly like the engine just blows. I would assume whenever an injector is leaky or malfunctioning the car has to be giving some sort of sign of not running right before blowing stone cold.

And yeah, honestly BMW makes some of the most badass cars and best looking vehicles but you cannot buy an M5 thinking your walking into great MPG, reliability, low cost of ownership. These cars arent honda accords and can make your wallet thin. Gotta pay to play. Ill probably resort back to MB or porsche after this car. I wont look at buying an F90 M5 until they dump in price and i need the AWD anyways
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
twistedf80m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nsterm5 View Post
Quote:

So from my understanding you continued to drive the car with the bad injector for another 40+ miles until the injector fully failed, then you had the injector(s) replaced and now all is good? Motor is still good?

Some make it sound as if it just happens blindly like the engine just blows. I would assume whenever an injector is leaky or malfunctioning the car has to be giving some sort of sign of not running right before blowing stone cold.

And yeah, honestly BMW makes some of the most badass cars and best looking vehicles but you cannot buy an M5 thinking your walking into great MPG, reliability, low cost of ownership. These cars arent honda accords and can make your wallet thin. Gotta pay to play. Ill probably resort back to MB or porsche after this car. I wont look at buying an F90 M5 until they dump in price and i need the AWD anyways
Correct my 13 is still fine to this day. I was in upstate New York when the failure happened on a parkway literally in the mountains. The car misfired while overtaking at 80 mph and all I saw was a cloud of smoke I thought the engine blew then and there. Pulled over and noticed fuel spitting out and road side couldn't even come to that location so I let it cool down for 30 min and it started fine and I made it to where I had to be. Car sat for 8 hours and the next day I was driving car started stalling and wouldn't go over 20 mph before turning off. Unfortunately at that point it was around 2 am and roadside was once again not able to show up. I managed to make it to the Bronx where I parked the car and had my girl pick me up.

Next morning I had roadside tow the car to the NJ dealer where I had bought the car pre owned. They I formed me the injectors had failed and they replaced 4 injectors on one bank and 8 plugs and also fixed my coolant lines that were leaking. I got the car back and it drove great I sold it a few weeks later and the PO is driving it to this day with a tune and it's flawless according to him.

My 14 did not have the same fate. The injector blew and I thought it was going to be the same thing as my 13. Shop replaced all 8 injectors, plugs and coil packs and coded everything proper. After one drive the engine seized.

I did research and saw many people have their engines seize so I guess the 13 was extremely lucky? I don't get that which is why it surprised me.

BMW is not willing to do anything until a tear down. I had no idea there was a extrnded warranty on these I had a performance shop do all the work.

M reliability will never rival a Honda but I've had many M and I thought the worse thing was the E92 M3 with the bearings. My old e92 m3 had over 100k miles on original bearings when sold and the new owner at 155k miles changed them and they had not much wear. The E60 M5 was just as bad with bearings but these new f series M are whole different level of unreliability.

It's not just BMW, Audi and MB have similar issues. The RS7 suffers from turbo failure which causes the motor to blow. The m157 engine in the AMG has injector problems which causes low compression along with timing chain issues.

Best bet is to buy a expensive extended warranty which I always buy and had on my other M5 and all the other cars in my fleet. The deal on this m5 was too good and I didn't have a chance to explore warranties yet....my 13 had high miles. Low mileage really doesn't mean much either.

You have to pay to play with these high performance cars but I still expected better.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
twistedf80m3
Private
Rep

And you are smart waiting for the F90 to fall in price before buying it. The depreciation is insane on these but that's a different thread and topic.

I had a 750li with the N63 motor that had the injectors fail as well. The N63 and S63tu are similar in design and function.

That vehicle had the injectors replaced at 58k miles and I sold it last year at 134k miles. It had so many issues from valve seals to coolant leaks, turbo failure, the repair receipts on that car was like a thick book. Oil top off required every 700 miles. It was at a point where BMW was telling me to put 2 quarts when the vehicle said it was low on oil. But it never had any catastrophic failure and the new owner is driving and enjoying every minute of it.

It's possible that the failure was caused by a rod bearing, dont forget these cars have oil burning problems. I had another 13 M5 (mid 12 build) for a few weeks back in 17 that I flipped that was burning a quart every 300 miles. My 13 (mid 13 build) that I owned had no oil burning issues at all. This 14 from my brief ownership didn't ask for a oil either but who knows in its previous life.

I'm not really interested in tearing the car down or building a new engine and definitely will not be purchasing a motor to swap over so who really knows.

I heard injectors leaking can throw fuel mixture codes as well. Which my 13 was throwing before the failure but it would throw it after getting them replaced too so once again who knows?

I do have to say the F10 M5 is still one of my most favorite cars. With the B/O sound system very smooth comfortable daily driver. My 13 and the 14 had the extended sakhir orange leather which made the cabin feel very luxurious.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Correct my 13 is still fine to this day. I was in upstate New York when the failure happened on a parkway literally in the mountains. The car misfired while overtaking at 80 mph and all I saw was a cloud of smoke I thought the engine blew then and there. Pulled over and noticed fuel spitting out and road side couldn't even come to that location so I let it cool down for 30 min and it started fine and I made it to where I had to be. Car sat for 8 hours and the next day I was driving car started stalling and wouldn't go over 20 mph before turning off. Unfortunately at that point it was around 2 am and roadside was once again not able to show up. I managed to make it to the Bronx where I parked the car and had my girl pick me up.

Next morning I had roadside tow the car to the NJ dealer where I had bought the car pre owned. They I formed me the injectors had failed and they replaced 4 injectors on one bank and 8 plugs and also fixed my coolant lines that were leaking. I got the car back and it drove great I sold it a few weeks later and the PO is driving it to this day with a tune and it's flawless according to him.

My 14 did not have the same fate. The injector blew and I thought it was going to be the same thing as my 13. Shop replaced all 8 injectors, plugs and coil packs and coded everything proper. After one drive the engine seized.

I did research and saw many people have their engines seize so I guess the 13 was extremely lucky? I don't get that which is why it surprised me.

BMW is not willing to do anything until a tear down. I had no idea there was a extrnded warranty on these I had a performance shop do all the work.

M reliability will never rival a Honda but I've had many M and I thought the worse thing was the E92 M3 with the bearings. My old e92 m3 had over 100k miles on original bearings when sold and the new owner at 155k miles changed them and they had not much wear. The E60 M5 was just as bad with bearings but these new f series M are whole different level of unreliability.

It's not just BMW, Audi and MB have similar issues. The RS7 suffers from turbo failure which causes the motor to blow. The m157 engine in the AMG has injector problems which causes low compression along with timing chain issues.

Best bet is to buy a expensive extended warranty which I always buy and had on my other M5 and all the other cars in my fleet. The deal on this m5 was too good and I didn't have a chance to explore warranties yet....my 13 had high miles. Low mileage really doesn't mean much either.

You have to pay to play with these high performance cars but I still expected better.
What kind of gas did you run in the car? not sure if they are just faulty parts and they just break as normal but ive been told the quality of fuel is very important for injectors. For fuel i only use Shell 91 V-power.

Yeah man its like a part-time job driving these cars. Ive dumped quite a bit in keeping my M5 in great shape and over it just mentally. Ill probably resort to a 2014-15 range rover, cayenne or MB. Then go for a F90 or E63 S 4 matic. Ive never had an issue with any of my porsches or mercedes. Atleast nothing major
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #11
twistedf80m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nsterm5 View Post
Quote:

What kind of gas did you run in the car? not sure if they are just faulty parts and they just break as normal but ive been told the quality of fuel is very important for injectors. For fuel i only use Shell 91 V-power.

Yeah man its like a part-time job driving these cars. Ive dumped quite a bit in keeping my M5 in great shape and over it just mentally. Ill probably resort to a 2014-15 range rover, cayenne or MB. Then go for a F90 or E63 S 4 matic. Ive never had an issue with any of my porsches or mercedes. Atleast nothing major
I always run 93 shell or if it can't be found I run 93 Mobil. Never anything lower and never get gas at any off brand stations.

Oil changed every 5k miles with liqu moly 5w-40. I had the oil on my 13 analyzed at black stone as well.

You are right it is mentally exhausting. I am the one to worry over things for no reason and sometimes I tell myself to just buy a Honda and call it a day.

I don't have any kids yet but people tell me i worry about my cars more than most worry about their kids 😂😂🤯
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #12
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
I always run 93 shell or if it can't be found I run 93 Mobil. Never anything lower and never get gas at any off brand stations.

Oil changed every 5k miles with liqu moly 5w-40. I had the oil on my 13 analyzed at black stone as well.

You are right it is mentally exhausting. I am the one to worry over things for no reason and sometimes I tell myself to just buy a Honda and call it a day.

I don't have any kids yet but people tell me i worry about my cars more than most worry about their kids 😂😂🤯
Lol no kids here either just a girlfriend. She thinks im an idiot for buying nice cars or spending money on cars. She thinks oil changes, washing her car etc.. is a waste of money lol. Im a car enthusiast like yourself but sometimes the thought of just buying something basic, racking the miles up and being worry free seems worth it in the end.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #13
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:

If too much fuel dumps into the engine from the leaky injector then it will get into the oil. One way i guess you could check if there may be a leaky injector is measure your engine oil level like normal on the idrive unit. If the oil meter is increasing then that means you may have an injector dumping fuel into the oil, hence the increase on the oil meter
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #14
Bullish657
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Is it really seized? Have you tried to manually crank it over?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:16 AM   #15
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Could be a cylinder full of fuel which is causing it to hydro lock. I'd be attempting to turn the engine manually.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 06:24 AM   #16
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
If the engine oil wasn't changed when the injectors were replaced, it's possible the oil was diluted with fuel. Diluted oil could have caused excess heat/not enough cushion for the bearings. The engine could have seized a rod bearing. Another leaky injector could cause a hydrolock, as mentioned above.

First, you need to better describe the time around the no crank/no start. So you drove it one day and parked it and it ran fine? Then the next morning no crank/no start? OR you were driving it, got a drivetrain malfunction message and the engine shut off, not able to crank over again?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #17
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
If the engine oil wasn't changed when the injectors were replaced, it's possible the oil was diluted with fuel. Diluted oil could have caused excess heat/not enough cushion for the bearings. The engine could have seized a rod bearing. Another leaky injector could cause a hydrolock, as mentioned above.

First, you need to better describe the time around the no crank/no start. So you drove it one day and parked it and it ran fine? Then the next morning no crank/no start? OR you were driving it, got a drivetrain malfunction message and the engine shut off, not able to crank over again?
I actually never read the opening post properly. As all 8 injectors have already been replaced then I think the most likely option is a seized rod bearing due to excess fuel in the oil, as you mentioned. Unless there is a faulty new injector allowing fuel into the cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #18
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I actually never read the opening post properly. As all 8 injectors have already been replaced then I think the most likely option is a seized rod bearing due to excess fuel in the oil, as you mentioned. Unless there is a faulty new injector allowing fuel into the cylinder.
Could very well be that.

Engine oil should most def be changed after a faulty injector has been replaced. Like i mentioned, i would think you could check the engine oil level, if the meter is rising from where its normally at it could mean fuel is being dumped into the cylinders and mixed in with the oil.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #19
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I agree... you flooded the one cylinder with the bad injector. All that fuel ran past the rings into the oil pan which diluted the oil. During your drive you lost a rod bearing with the diluted fuel. Sucks man..
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #20
twistedf80m3
Private
Rep

The shop is going to drain the oil and check but thats what they are thinking and what I think and a few knowledgable friends that know more about these motors/cars than me. No it does not crank over manually the engine is "frozen". Shop are limited hours atm due to the virus. I have gotten some PM asking if i am wanting to part the car out. A friend told me today there is a shop in TX that will be able to install a "refurbished" engine for around $12k with a 2 year warranty if done by them.

I am thinking that is the option I will take once things die down with the virus and whatnot.

Not changing the oil is totally on me and when this happened on my other 13 the oil was not changed either which is why I was thinking nbd. I had so much experience with the n54 cars with bad injectors and nothing ever happening like this once again thinking nbd.

The car was fine didn't throw any DTM just wouldn't start the next day after getting a full tank of gas. I was optimistic it was a simple issue after having the injectors done.

Hopefully someone else can take from this situation and realize once the engine has a bad injector change the oil after changing all the injectors.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60090.50
      05-06-2020, 05:37 AM   #21
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
The shop is going to drain the oil and check but thats what they are thinking and what I think and a few knowledgable friends that know more about these motors/cars than me. No it does not crank over manually the engine is "frozen". Shop are limited hours atm due to the virus. I have gotten some PM asking if i am wanting to part the car out. A friend told me today there is a shop in TX that will be able to install a "refurbished" engine for around $12k with a 2 year warranty if done by them.

I am thinking that is the option I will take once things die down with the virus and whatnot.

Not changing the oil is totally on me and when this happened on my other 13 the oil was not changed either which is why I was thinking nbd. I had so much experience with the n54 cars with bad injectors and nothing ever happening like this once again thinking nbd.

The car was fine didn't throw any DTM just wouldn't start the next day after getting a full tank of gas. I was optimistic it was a simple issue after having the injectors done.

Hopefully someone else can take from this situation and realize once the engine has a bad injector change the oil after changing all the injectors.
If you drove it, parked it and the next day it wouldn't turn over, I'd be pulling spark plugs to look for a wet one and then with the plugs out, try to crank it over. You might get a geyser of gas come out of one cylinder.

Any updates from the shop?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 01:05 PM   #22
twistedf80m3
Private
Rep

Not yet they are still not back to full operation and I've been really busy with work.

Hoping we will be able to get into it by memorial weekend. Will keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0