M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-06-2017, 11:27 PM   #23
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

First thread I ever read including financenick was him arguing with those in the know about power gains using water and/or meth injection and never really admitting he didn't know what he was talking about, using M4 articles as his argument about it's factory installed water spraying system but I don't recall him mentioning he knows first hand on his own car.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...1344638&page=2

Now he's here pushing a $620 U.S. device that sounds like all it does is reset adaptions for pretty much every make and model car out there from a vendor/company I can safely assume no one has ever heard of before until now. He screams unknowledgeable and the type to fall for a smoke and mirrors sales pitch to me...just my .02.

Last edited by m5james; 02-06-2017 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
Lerxst M4142.00
      02-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #24
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Interesting. So it's the DME reporting to the DCT, the DCT has no measurement of its own to understand the torque going through it? At some point we will find the mechanical limit of the DCT I suppose, the SSP clutch seems to hold up.
Correct, dme reports to many modules (including navigation) the torque currently being produced. But remember, there is no such thing as torque sensor, the torque is a calculated number based on boost, optimal ignition, torque losses, oil temp, and 300 other inputs.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 06:09 AM   #25
financenick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 - 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
First thread I ever read including financenick was him arguing with those in the know about power gains using water and/or meth injection and never really admitting he didn't know what he was talking about, using M4 articles as his argument about it's factory installed water spraying system but I don't recall him mentioning he knows first hand on his own car.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...1344638&page=2

Now he's here pushing a $620 U.S. device that sounds like all it does is reset adaptions for pretty much every make and model car out there from a vendor/company I can safely assume no one has ever heard of before until now. He screams unknowledgeable and the type to fall for a smoke and mirrors sales pitch to me...just my .02.

This is also a good read from another angle: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=18288263 The gearbox flash in my opinion is a fantastic mod, and whilst it does reset the gearbox, it also installs new parameters which allows the gears to change much faster, and i personally felt an big acceleration increase from it (i just can't prove it on a dyno) im not pushing anything M5james, im letting other like minded M5 enthusiasts know about my experiences just like i did with my air filter / air scoop upgrades here: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246543 ive been involved with tuning cars for 25 years, and at one point made a living from it - this makes me qualified at the very least to have an opinion

Forums so often just turn into petty arguments, if you read carefully, everyone has their own opinion - but opinions should be respected.

Im not sure if my previous posts will be helpful to anyone, but this will certainly be my last due to all the BS.

So long naysayers !!

Last edited by financenick; 02-07-2017 at 06:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #26
jairomvp182
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by financenick View Post
This is also a good read from another angle: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=18288263 The gearbox flash in my opinion is a fantastic mod, and whilst it does reset the gearbox, it also installs new parameters which allows the gears to change much faster, and i personally felt an big acceleration increase from it (i just can't prove it on a dyno) im not pushing anything M5james, im letting other like minded M5 enthusiasts know about my experiences just like i did with my air filter / air scoop upgrades here: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246543 ive been involved with tuning cars for 25 years, and at one point made a living from it - this makes me qualified at the very least to have an opinion

Forums so often just turn into petty arguments, if you read carefully, everyone has their own opinion - but opinions should be respected.

Im not sure if my previous posts will be helpful to anyone, but this will certainly be my last due to all the BS.

So long naysayers !!
cant take what just one person said, i bet many of us are glad to read this, weather it works or not its a good topic.
11 E92 335xi 12.5@113MPH,362whp/438wtq GONE http://www.youtube.com/c/jairomvp
Instagram:Jairomvp
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #27
Mkai0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Black

Quote:

So long naysayers !!
Don't take constructive criticism as an insult. A lot of us are here to learn about our cars, and your post was appreciated by most.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #28
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Quote:
Quote:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...638&page=2

So long naysayers !!
Nick I think it's a good topic to discuss!
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #29
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Agreed - let's understand the merits of this product and leave the personal attacks out.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #30
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
We then took it out for a drive and you can notice the difference instantly (even in learn mode which usually takes 100 miles to fully mature) the gear changes felt so different it was like a new car.

But the real bonus came from the increase in power, as the tool re-calibrates the torque limiter which im told is very restrictive. Its probably IMO a better mod than when i did my ECU tune, the power delivery now is so strong now, it made a big difference to my car and the gear changes so much faster - what a mod and highly recommended !!
I do not yet own a VBOX for performance measurement, but intend to buy one. This is a perfect example of a modification which could be verified by the VBOX. A roll on from an appropriate speed to minimize the wheel spin portion of acceleration to a speed which goes through a few gear changes would yield a good before and after comparison.

The skeptics among us might be more convinced if that comparison had been done. Seat of the pants claims really have no credibility. I'd think it's entirely possible that the gear changes could be more crisp, but do not add any measurable acceleration improvement. But even that might be worth it to some potential buyers.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #31
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

A clutch adaptation will do the same thing on higher mileage vehicles... FYI

Kris
Appreciate 2
Drm529.50
Mcc420475.00
      02-08-2017, 03:52 AM   #32
movemnt Inc
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

Quote:
Yes stock clutches, but has only done total of 17k miles so quite fresh still. I have a totally unique hand made exhaust too that has released masses of power, an ECU tune and meth next week with no slip at all yet.

The power difference we experienced was felt more noticeably after 4500 RPM full throttle, it now just pulls so hard, like a train, its hard to explain but more like a fair ground ride now, i feel like im just a passenger trying to hold on. Was a big differnce.

TMC dyno'd another M5 with this DCT tune and it made over 1028 NM and i think standard there limited to 700 NM here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...04185996286170
I usually don't reply much in the forum and usually read up and learn from the vets here but i have to add my 2 cents.

My personal opinion is that this doesn't work at all , I've tired the tmc TCU flash with thier piggyback box which they claimed to give the dyno figures of 720hp and 1028NM of tourque. Installed both , went for a dyno and lo and behold.. no diff in power at all.. and with regards to the DCT, it already shifts fast enough.. i don't know how much faster its supposed to make is shift but i had nothing of the sort of experices you felt.. just felt like a fast stock shifting M5, after 1 month of going back and forth with the guys at tmc via my local distributor , i ordered myself a jb3, "uninstalled" the TCU flash cause distributor said i needed to, installed the JB3 on the spot and i had more power than i previously did for sure..

so just letting the guys here in the forum from my personal experiences ... i call BS on this and the piggyback. my 2 cents

** i bought and installed the TCU and piggyback 3 years ago at least, when BMS only had jb3 for the M5's
Peace

Last edited by movemnt Inc; 02-08-2017 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2017, 10:57 PM   #33
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

financenick , saw your video. Great work!

You're on an Evolve tune 21psi making over 820bhp? Have the clutches held up? Do the 315 R888's rub? Did you have to roll your fenders?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 03:11 AM   #34
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
financenick , saw your video. Great work!

You're on an Evolve tune 21psi making over 820bhp? Have the clutches held up? Do the 315 R888's rub? Did you have to roll your fenders?
Thanks man, i wondered when one of you guys would spot it, was going to keep that vid off the forum due to all the hating, its depressing. The TMC gearbox remap also increases the clamping force which is also an option with this new bootmod3 i keep hearing about. So this is whats allowed me to hold the power with zero slip on stock clutches. Tires don't rub at all.. im also using the 5 x more expensive updated DCT fluid from BMW so maybe that helps too?

Im running 100% pure meth now which made a big difference, and ethanol in the fuel which just takes it to a new level. But have you seen my Dads video:

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #35
Mkai0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Black

Quote:
Thanks man, i wondered when one of you guys would spot it, was going to keep that vid off the forum due to all the hating, its depressing. The TMC gearbox remap also increases the clamping force which is also an option with this new bootmod3 i keep hearing about. So this is whats allowed me to hold the power with zero slip on stock clutches. Tires don't rub at all.. im also using the 5 x more expensive updated DCT fluid from BMW so maybe that helps too?

Im running 100% pure meth now which made a big difference, and ethanol in the fuel which just takes it to a new level. But have you seen my Dads video:

I saw this video the other day! Your dad is my hero, and that's awesome Livin the Fast Life featured him.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #36
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkai0 View Post
I saw this video the other day! Your dad is my hero, and that's awesome Livin the Fast Life featured him.
Ha - thanks Man
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #37
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Another cool video.

The bootmod3 DCT reflash only applies to m3/m4 because the M5 is already at max clamp force according to the bootmod3 folks.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #38
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

I remembered this was you when you mentioned the boys on the forums were skeptical of the DCT flash, lol. I have no dog in that race only that I could audibly hear how well your DCT shifts in the video at that power level and that cars of similar power levels you can easily audibly detect the clutches slipping if they don't have SSP.

I think driving the DCT correctly drastically increases the life of the clutches.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #39
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by somer View Post
I remembered this was you when you mentioned the boys on the forums were skeptical of the DCT flash, lol. I have no dog in that race only that I could audibly hear how well your DCT shifts in the video at that power level and that cars of similar power levels you can easily audibly detect the clutches slipping if they don't have SSP.

I think driving the DCT correctly drastically increases the life of the clutches.
Thanks for your comments, i really think the map made a great improvement, yer if you listen carefully the changes are very quick, and no slip
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #40
steeve13m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
Another cool video.

The bootmod3 DCT reflash only applies to m3/m4 because the M5 is already at max clamp force according to the bootmod3 folks.
I was wondering about that...on the F10 M5 if we set the DCT mode to D3....I am assuming it places the clutch at max clamping force/minimal slipping vs D1 and D2 with more clutch slipping and less clamping force?
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #41
josec70
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' Individual Chalk M5C

Quote:
Quote:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...638&page=2

So long naysayers !!
Hey man, do your thing.

These types of exchanges serve to enlighten some of us.

Eff the haters!!!
GONE: 13' F10 M5|SG|BLACK|AKRA|KW|IND
LONG GONE: 09' E60 M5|02' E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #42
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by somer View Post

What does it mean to drive the dct correctly, I haven’t heard that before.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:18 PM   #43
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
What does it mean to drive the dct correctly, I haven’t heard that before.
means never in auto mode, in traffic never let it slip 1st gear for very long, never jam the throttle from low rpms putting intense torque on the clutches, all the same kinds of things you wouldn't do in a manual car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #44
V8munro
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Sakhir Orange

From what i understand d3/s3 applies more clamping force than d1/s1 to answer the question above.

Insta: Tommy_turb0
Appreciate 0