M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-21-2016, 05:41 AM   #45
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

^^^ Now this is good advice- this thread could be used to prove you habitually drove in this illegal manner and be used against you.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #46
ilidon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
Stop driving, get it towed and get a BMW for a buy back. That is some pretty scary stuff especially if your hauling your kids in it.
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #47
M4RAUDR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AY M4

[QUOTE=Sergm3;20135944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msanity View Post

Yes it's wide open when we roll through at 4am on Saturday night. You should join us for a drive. We were 5 cars deep 3 m4 one m5 and one camaro. I agree with you it's crazy, but that's how we roll. I didn't buy my m5 to drive slow.
I'm re-reading my post and I sound like a condescending dick - wasn't my intention. You handled it well - props. I just don't want to be the one coming in the other direction when someone is going 115 and loses steering! lol... just be fucking safe!
2016 AY M4 : SB Full Leather : HRE P104 20" x 9.5" Front / 11.5" Rear : Pirelli PZero Nero GT 255/30/20 Front / 305/25/20 Rear : CCBs : KW v3's : Active Autowerke Full Exhaust & DPs : ESS Silicon Charge Pipes : VF HEX Stage 2 : VF TCU : Status Gruppe Rear Diffuser : M-Perf Side Blades : M-Perf Front Lip : Reus Audio System : Painted Side Reflectors : Black Grill Surrounds : Black Side Markers
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #48
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

steering

Last edited by NightM; 10-06-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #49
Sergm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 m5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual View Post
Back 10 yrs ago i had a Honda with no ac nonsteering Lightweight action fully built. It was fine steering a 2500lb machine. I wonder how bad with all electronic failing on steering to control it.
I feels like when your car is off and you trying to turn the wheel. Pretty hard to turn the wheel. I missed my apex on the corner and had lock up my brakes to slow down. Verry scary when you're in the zone and you mind is on the next corner.
I personally loged more than 100000 miles on these canyons and that's not bullshitting. Drive verry late at night or early mornings and still drive with awareness that at next blind corner can be anything on the road. I've seen lots of crazy stuff on the road, but never have I experienced mechanical failure this crary.

After this I'll be hanging up driving this fast on the canyons. Track is more my style. When you know you cheated death don't ask for second chances. I'm verry thankful that I'm here and had couple of days to really reflect what I'm doing behind the wheel. Plus my 35th b day is coming up in couple of weeks and my family would have been devastated. I had verry good run and now at the point of my life where the fun doesn't out weight the risk.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #50
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
This is exactly my point plus its to small a comparison group to be meaningful when looking at trends and statistics.

Being dissappointed is one thing (and understandable) but price still has nothing to do with failures.
From a general stand point I disagree. With higher price comes the expectation of less failures. More HP requires higher quality parts and QC. Of course nothing is 100% in life except death and taxes.

To OP, keep it on the track. That's what I do....never saw the excitement in canyon driving, always have to be aware of cops and the possibility of injuring others and yourself. The occasional highway run is OK with me, but nothing that involves high speed sweepers.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #51
DRiFT_645
MPOWERED5
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Agree with the other posters. I wouldn't post anything about speeding on streets, speeds etc... on a public forum. Seen it happen too often in Ontario Canada where cops or lawyers track the information down.

Not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #52
ur20v
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
From a general stand point I disagree. With higher price comes the expectation of less failures. More HP requires higher quality parts and QC. Of course nothing is 100% in life except death and taxes.

To OP, keep it on the track. That's what I do....never saw the excitement in canyon driving, always have to be aware of cops and the possibility of injuring others and yourself. The occasional highway run is OK with me, but nothing that involves high speed sweepers.
Failure rates may be very slightly affected by the amount of dollars spent (ie percieved quality) but you are paying for a lot more systems and more complicated engineering so you are builing in more potencial for risk of failure in something. Spending money dosn't guarrantee a failure free car- just ask any owner of any marque or look at other forums - Porsche 997 GT3 RS's blowing coolant hose fittings that can cause lose of control/spins, its the same for Ferrari and EVER car builder, same for a Mini, a Toyota, Ford or GM.

I still doen't see the corrilation with how 'pissed' you are to the money you spent when you have a safety system failure- same effect whether its a $100 Buick or $1m Pagani Huayra... same potencial eitherway.

I do agree the track is the place for this, everyone traveling in the same direction (unless theres a Porsche coming towards you with its blown coolant hose fittings!!), everyone concerntrating 110% (no mobile phones, txting, talking, sight seeing and other distractions etc) and normally plenty of run off.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #53
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Failure rates may be very slightly affected by the amount of dollars spent (ie percieved quality) but you are paying for a lot more systems and more complicated engineering so you are builing in more potencial for risk of failure in something. Spending money dosn't guarrantee a failure free car- just ask any owner of any marque or look at other forums - Porsche 997 GT3 RS's blowing coolant hose fittings that can cause lose of control/spins, its the same for Ferrari and EVER car builder, same for a Mini, a Toyota, Ford or GM.

I still doen't see the corrilation with how 'pissed' you are to the money you spent when you have a safety system failure- same effect whether its a $100 Buick or $1m Pagani Huayra... same potencial eitherway.

I do agree the track is the place for this, everyone traveling in the same direction (unless theres a Porsche coming towards you with its blown coolant hose fittings!!), everyone concerntrating 110% (no mobile phones, txting, talking, sight seeing and other distractions etc) and normally plenty of run off.

Another valid point. And i'm still the "asshole"

like i said, if this happened when he was backing out of his driveway, he probably would've never made this thread. But since he almost went off a cliff, it's BMW's fault, they suck.. omg they tried to kill me.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2016, 12:43 AM   #54
Redrckt135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5 & 17 X5M

So long story short, your power steering pump failed. You just happened to be in racecar mode on a death defying road going into a turn when it happened. Moral of the story, anything mechanical will eventually break, just pray it doesn't break when you're cruising at triple digit speeds on the edge of a cliff. ///endthread
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 12:57 AM   #55
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Been off this forum for a while....and I come back to this. Lol

My two cents, which nobody I asked for... shit happens, was this related to your excessive speed, probably not, as you had the issue in the video at very low speed...point being, cars, like anything else, have failures and people make bad choices. In this instance, both happened at the same time.

Being upset, I completely understand.

Threatening to go "public" on a public forum is kind of humorous.

I have had vehicles brakes lock up on the highway, my e92 blew an ecu fuse in the north woods leaving me stranded in the middle of no where, a tire with 50% tread blow out, an axle broke, etc...these instances happened in my BMW, H1, Honda, and Chevy...it's a part of life.

The circumstances are disappointing and unfortunate, but looking at the big picture, people die everyday from mechanical failures...

Too be honest, in your post you came off as highly entitled and "how dare" that BMW would treat you like this, as if they intentionally had a part in this....

It sucks, yes, get it fixed and move on through life. You will come across many other circumstances where you can run to lawyers or understand that life isn't fair, shit happens, and move on.

(Flame suit on)
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 05:23 AM   #56
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

One positive thing that came from this thread is that I took the time to flush the power steering fluid in my M5 yesterday afternoon. Just incase some one needs more silver on their lining.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #57
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
I still think this is unacceptable - backing out a driveway or going 150mph. For a BMW I can't agree that it isn't serious.
      06-27-2016, 05:23 AM   #58
ur20v
Captain
Rep

Whats to accept or not- its physics- things fail... spend as much or as little as you want, you cannot insure against it with money or anything for that matter.

This thread has become boring and just a place to bleet, nothing constructive.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #59
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan View Post
I still think this is unacceptable - backing out a driveway or going 150mph. For a BMW I can't agree that it isn't serious.
Yeah I agree, and also what's wrong with complaining? If no one complains then there are no incentives for companies to improve.

No car is perfect and it's normal to have something failed here or there, but certain failures like steering, braking, engine, and etc. deserves more scrutiny.

I remember in a watch forum where a Patek owner complained about service time, and got flamed. Lots of Patek fanboys jumped on him, saying Patek owners should have more than one watch, or high end watches suppose to have long service time, or if one can't wait, then don't buy a Patek.

I mean gee, why would Patek ever want to improve its service time if most owners will accept it as norm?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #60
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Scary so many electronic parts on the cars these days and you never know which one will fail on you...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #61
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Whats to accept or not- its physics- things fail... spend as much or as little as you want, you cannot insure against it with money or anything for that matter.

This thread has become boring and just a place to bleet, nothing constructive.
I agree, but would like to add a thought. Our steering has three settings, Comfort, Sport, and SportPlus. The Comfort setting provides the most steering assist and I wonder if that would cause an earlier failure of the ZF varioserv pump because of the greater load on the pump? It would be helpful if the OP could inform us which portion of the power steering system failed, either the pump, the Servotronic valve, or the steering rack itself. He mentioned the steering rack was replaced, but did the dealer tell him what specifically failed? Does the dealer send the replaced items to BMW for post failure analysis?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #62
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
+1

I have never had this experience in any of my cars that are much less expensive and have many many more miles than my M5:
2001 Camry, 250K miles
2004 G35, 107K miles
2012 Sequoia, 78K miles

I would be highly concerned also... and highly disappointed if it happened to me.
You bent mountain corners doing 110+ in a Sequoia? Ballz!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #63
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
exactly.

why is everyone bitching? failures do happen.

it's not bmw's fault you were going 115 and it shut off. what if you were backing out of your driveway and it went out? would you still "raise hell" at the dealer?

give me a break. man up and get the shit fixed under warranty.
Everybody is running to call the lawyer. What will the lawyer do, your car broke and bmw fixed it. now if you went off the cliff, thats a different story but you didn't. Man up and call it a lesson learned and be glad it stopped where it did and you didn't get hurt.

Last edited by NlckyBlack; 06-27-2016 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #64
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
this is all i'm saying. from what it seems like, many don't understand that.
carefull they may go "public"
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 12:06 AM   #65
Sergm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 m5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I agree, but would like to add a thought. Our steering has three settings, Comfort, Sport, and SportPlus. The Comfort setting provides the most steering assist and I wonder if that would cause an earlier failure of the ZF varioserv pump because of the greater load on the pump? It would be helpful if the OP could inform us which portion of the power steering system failed, either the pump, the Servotronic valve, or the steering rack itself. He mentioned the steering rack was replaced, but did the dealer tell him what specifically failed? Does the dealer send the replaced items to BMW for post failure analysis?
Dealer said that they replaced steering rack. I didn't ask why it failed. I really don't care anymore the m5 is being lemon law as we speak. I'm getting m3 next week. I said before and I say it again this should never happen in any car. This information was put out for forum members info. That this break down can happen to m5 that's all.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #66
ur20v
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Yeah I agree, and also what's wrong with complaining? If no one complains then there are no incentives for companies to improve.

No car is perfect and it's normal to have something failed here or there, but certain failures like steering, braking, engine, and etc. deserves more scrutiny.

I remember in a watch forum where a Patek owner complained about service time, and got flamed. Lots of Patek fanboys jumped on him, saying Patek owners should have more than one watch, or high end watches suppose to have long service time, or if one can't wait, then don't buy a Patek.

I mean gee, why would Patek ever want to improve its service time if most owners will accept it as norm?
Nothing wrong with letting the world know you had a failure or complaining- just complain to BMW if they don't sort the issue and only then the world.

Its the tone and content of some of the posts here that seem to think because we bought a BMW it can never go wrong and will pull the church down if it does. Money means nothing when it comes to mechanical, electrical or eltromechanical devices- they ALL fail, same for watches.

Now for you comment about Patek watches and poor customer service- thats a very differnt thing and anyone getting poor customer service has the right to go public and complain long and hard until its resolved, this just isn't the case here, the OP has already said BMW have already fixed the car when the failur was only 9 days ago, thats very quick / great response don't you think? So the customer service is good on this.

Not sure what Sergm3 is expecting from a lawyer or how this issue will invoke the lemon law?
Appreciate 0