BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
m5hadoop
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5 CP

any aftermarket brake options?

- Does anyone have any info on their own positive experience with an aftermarket brake setup that works well for the M5? It is my DD so I can't go with a track only setup.
- Does anyone know what the ring taxi uses for pads/rotors?

On my '15 CP M5 I've been using stock rotors and brake pads. Most of my track days are at Sonoma in those days I've gone through what I would consider normal to heavy track wear on tires and brakes for such a heavy car.

I've now also been to two track days at Thunderhill and for those of you that don't know Thunderhill it is much more aggressive on brakes. It has 4 very aggressive braking zones instead of 2, top speeds are higher (135mph i.o. 115pmh) and the air temperature is typically higher (last time it was 99 degrees out there).

The first time I went to Thunderhill was my 7th track day on my brake pads (6 at Sonoma before that) and my fronts were gone after the 2nd session of the day. In hindsight that was to be expected. After that day I got new front rotors (they had a significant lip) and new front and rear pads.

I followed this up with a track day at Sonoma and a 2nd one at Thunderhill. I made sure to properly cool down the brakes in between sessions (very warm that day) and everything seemed fine when I got home after the Thunderhill track day (no significant fade during the day), but the next morning I had very significant vibration when braking around town (low speeds). Took the car in and front brake pads are gone, rears have 5mm left.

I fully support the "you have to pay to play" argument, but going through front pads in two track days is too much. Based on my experiences and advice from others I've come to the conclusion that the M5 is simply too heavy to be used for more than a sporadic track day (close to needing my 4th set of front tires as well). I'm eyeing other cars as a result, but in the mean time there must be some other options out there. If the M5 is used on a daily basis as the ring taxi I'm guessing they must be using a non-stock setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

The ring taxi's get disc's and pads thrown at them almost on a daily basis plus the use upgraded pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
The ring taxi's get disc's and pads thrown at them almost on a daily basis plus the use upgraded pads.

+1

Also in the manual it says if you're going to track it remove the brake wear indicators because they're not designed for that kind of heat.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5hadoop View Post
- Does anyone have any info on their own positive experience with an aftermarket brake setup that works well for the M5? It is my DD so I can't go with a track only setup.
- Does anyone know what the ring taxi uses for pads/rotors?

On my '15 CP M5 I've been using stock rotors and brake pads. Most of my track days are at Sonoma in those days I've gone through what I would consider normal to heavy track wear on tires and brakes for such a heavy car.

I've now also been to two track days at Thunderhill and for those of you that don't know Thunderhill it is much more aggressive on brakes. It has 4 very aggressive braking zones instead of 2, top speeds are higher (135mph i.o. 115pmh) and the air temperature is typically higher (last time it was 99 degrees out there).

The first time I went to Thunderhill was my 7th track day on my brake pads (6 at Sonoma before that) and my fronts were gone after the 2nd session of the day. In hindsight that was to be expected. After that day I got new front rotors (they had a significant lip) and new front and rear pads.

I followed this up with a track day at Sonoma and a 2nd one at Thunderhill. I made sure to properly cool down the brakes in between sessions (very warm that day) and everything seemed fine when I got home after the Thunderhill track day (no significant fade during the day), but the next morning I had very significant vibration when braking around town (low speeds). Took the car in and front brake pads are gone, rears have 5mm left.

I fully support the "you have to pay to play" argument, but going through front pads in two track days is too much. Based on my experiences and advice from others I've come to the conclusion that the M5 is simply too heavy to be used for more than a sporadic track day (close to needing my 4th set of front tires as well). I'm eyeing other cars as a result, but in the mean time there must be some other options out there. If the M5 is used on a daily basis as the ring taxi I'm guessing they must be using a non-stock setup.
BMW Ring Taxi Brakes:

High Temp Brake Fluid

///M Performance Sport Brake Pads (Textar branded Pagid) - replaced every 25 laps

OEM Iron Rotors (BMW Manufactured with ///M Logo - Not the Zimmermann units) - Replaced every 50 Laps

That's it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
BMW Ring Taxi Brakes:

High Temp Brake Fluid

///M Performance Sport Brake Pads (Textar branded Pagid) - replaced every 25 laps

OEM Iron Rotors (BMW Manufactured with ///M Logo - Not the Zimmermann units) - Replaced every 50 Laps

That's it.
Actually ATE makes the oem rotors for the M's
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
I'm guessing your current brake fluid is the bigger problem, not the pads.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:41 AM   #7
100%Cocoa
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black/Sakhir Orange

I take my F10 to the ring a lot, and the standard stuff is not up to the job for anything other than a little light fun. The discs crack well before wearing out, and the pads start to crumble (see pics, and before you ask, I had my callipers painted Sakhir Orange to match my leather ). This is after 70 laps. I'm going to try Pagid RS29s, but I'm a little unsure what to do with the discs just yet.

As for the Ring Taxi, they run weird set ups that seem to change a lot. For example, the rear tyres were 275s last time I checked, so I don't think it's representative.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 04:50 AM   #8
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Those discs and pads are normal for track action, have seen worse on my GT3.
Appreciate 0