M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Dinan doesn't back their warranties - Dealer dropped them

So I go to BMW North Scottsdale in North Scottsdale, AZ for my BMW service. They used to attach Dinan cards to my service receipts. I believe they were an authorized Dinan dealer.

So recently I purchased some Dinan sway bars from Amazon (No tax or shipping costs opposed to buying from Dinan or the dealer). I then called BMW North Scottsdale for an install quote. They would not even install them on my car. They said they are no longer carrying any Dinan products and that they had too many issues with failures caused directly from their products and Dinan flat out refused to cover their end of the bargain for warranty. In turn, they quit carrying and installing Dinan products.

Has anyone else heard of this happening at their dealerships?

Last edited by ImpetuousRacer; 07-06-2015 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Thompson_Performance
Rep
Drives: M4

I think there might be something more to the story. We deal with Dinan on a daily basis and we have no complaints or issues with them!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson_Performance View Post
I think there might be something more to the story. We deal with Dinan on a daily basis and we have no complaints or issues with them!
Maybe Dinan will chime in with their side of the story?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpetuousRacer View Post
So I go to BMW North Scottsdale in North Scottsdale, AZ for my BMW service. They used to attach Dinan cards to my service receipts. I believe they were an authorized Dinan dealer.

So recently I purchased some Dinan sway bars from Amazon (No tax or shipping costs opposed to buying from Dinan or the dealer). I then called BMW North Scottsdale for an install quote. They would not even install them on my car. They said they are no longer carrying any Dinan products and that they had too many issues with failures caused directly from their products and Dinan flat out refused to cover their end of the bargain for warranty. In turn, they quit carrying and installing Dinan products.

Has anyone else heard of this happening at their dealerships?
As with all things there are always two sides to the story and what was presented here is not entirely accurate. It appeared to us as though BMW of North Scottsdale simply wanted to go the entirely OE route and did not want to carry ANY third party parts. This was entirely their prerogative and quite a few dealerships choose to do this as it fits their management/employee culture more (BMW purists). We enjoyed our time with BMW of North Scottsdale and to this day still have a working relationship with some of the individuals within the building. They will always be accepted back into the Dinan Dealer family if they ever so choose to re-engage the program.

In regards to the warranty itself... we covered every claim that North Scottsdale laid out to us just as we do with all of our dealers. I am unsure of where that claim came from as it is simply untrue.

On an somewhat unrelated note I would encourage those of you that buy online to not carry the items into a dealership for install. Most dealers do not look favorably on this practice and see it as akin to bringing in your own steak to a restaurant for the chef to cook. Instead I would recommend presenting your dilemma to the dealer beforehand so they have the chance to earn your business and make it worth your while to order and install everything from the dealer themselves.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
As with all things there are always two sides to the story and what was presented here is not entirely accurate. It appeared to us as though BMW of North Scottsdale simply wanted to go the entirely OE route and did not want to carry ANY third party parts. This was entirely their prerogative and quite a few dealerships choose to do this as it fits their management/employee culture more (BMW purists). We enjoyed our time with BMW of North Scottsdale and to this day still have a working relationship with some of the individuals within the building. They will always be accepted back into the Dinan Dealer family if they ever so choose to re-engage the program.

In regards to the warranty itself... we covered every claim that North Scottsdale laid out to us just as we do with all of our dealers. I am unsure of where that claim came from as it is simply untrue.

On an somewhat unrelated note I would encourage those of you that buy online to not carry the items into a dealership for install. Most dealers do not look favorably on this practice and see it as akin to bringing in your own steak to a restaurant for the chef to cook. Instead I would recommend presenting your dilemma to the dealer beforehand so they have the chance to earn your business and make it worth your while to order and install everything from the dealer themselves.

Thanks so much for posting the other side of the story. Hopefully this information will be beneficial for other people that go to the dealership and may hear an incorrect story.

As far as practice, the dealer did not sell the Dinan products so there was no way for me to get my steak there. In addition, I had KW V3 coilovers I also needed installed. The dealer usually frowns on non-OEM parts, apparently even Dinan now. If I'm bringing them a brand new in the package part that they no longer sell (but used to sell), I believe this would still be an opportunity to generate revenue on their service side. After implying that is when I heard it was more about issues with Dinan products, and that's why they were refusing - Which seems to not really be the case from your post.

I took my parts to Goodspeed Performance. They had no problem sizziling my steak up to perfection. Highly competent and trained staff and better labor rate.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpetuousRacer View Post
As far as practice, the dealer did not sell the Dinan products so there was no way for me to get my steak there. In addition, I had KW V3 coilovers I also needed installed. The dealer usually frowns on non-OEM parts, apparently even Dinan now. If I'm bringing them a brand new in the package part that they no longer sell (but used to sell), I believe this would still be an opportunity to generate revenue on their service side. After implying that is when I heard it was more about issues with Dinan products, and that's why they were refusing - Which seems to not really be the case from your post.

I took my parts to Goodspeed Performance. They had no problem sizziling my steak up to perfection. Highly competent and trained staff and better labor rate.
Personally I tend to agree with your reasoning and even if its bought from an outside source there is still labor to be had BUT some dealers tend not to agree and view it as "yes, I am getting the service dollars, but I am not getting the parts dollars like I feel I should be getting". Just the mentality some dealers have is all. Just wanted to caution about it as those that do frown on the practice sometimes penalize the customers that do so in some form or another and we have no control over that. Best course of action in my eyes is to give the dealer a heads up and an opportunity before hand on what you intend to do. Take that advice for what its worth.

BTW--- Way to run with the steak metaphor. lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

I have been a Dinan dealer for 10 years almost and I have never had an issue with a Dinan warranty and have even gone to the extent to assist other individuals that have had their car at a non Dinan BMW dealership for a non related issue, but wanted to give the client hassle cause they felt they could.
Dan and the great staff at Dinan always resolved the issue right away, never once was a matter left un-resolved
Best support from any performance company I have ever dealt with.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

When I did

335i intake, fmic, tune, stage 3 suspension it was all ordered through the dealer I didn't want to buy third party parts as thats when you can run into issues with well was it install was it broken from seller...

m3 same thing... Pulley, intake, suspension bits, all done at authorized dealers. That way you tend to avoid potential headaches.

If your buying dinan parts you can probably afford the shipping and tax lmao.

I never got a cool badge though even though if I'm in some database I should have all that stuff linked to my name
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
MSport28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / G30 540

Interesting situation here. As a fellow Phoenix-metro resident and BMW North Scottsdale customer, I was not aware they dropped Dinan, as it seems like they only started advertising being a Dinan dealer last year?

Having worked with and in dealership settings in the past (not BMW), I can understand the hesitation dealers have with installing products that are not purchased through the dealer, whether they be OE or aftermarket. The relationship between a dealer and the distributors where parts come from is pretty crucial. If something goes wrong with a part not being as described, the dealer has recourse. In contrast, parts the customer walks in with and then blames the dealer for being wrong presents a difficult situation. All that being said, dealerships should embrace the retail service business as part of building stronger relationships with customers.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

So tell me this...I inquired about Dinan when I purchased my car and they said So as long as u don't add any non Dinan aftermarket upgrades You'll be covered for warranty. U slap on a eismann exhaust the Dinan warranty becomes void. U put a BMS intake warranty is void!? What gives? BMW said they will point out any non Dinan upgrades and say that's why your car's components failed.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #11
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
So tell me this...I inquired about Dinan when I purchased my car and they said So as long as u don't add any non Dinan aftermarket upgrades You'll be covered for warranty. U slap on a eismann exhaust the Dinan warranty becomes void. U put a BMS intake warranty is void!? What gives? BMW said they will point out any non Dinan upgrades and say that's why your car's components failed.
Aside from Dinan backing up their own products, your question can go multiple ways. It is the dealerships discretion on how they want to go about this scenario. But being that Dinan is pretty much the only company that offers a backing warranty like they do, its a safer move for a dealership to get involved with Dinan knowing that they will repair the car when BMW wont pay the bill.
Some dealerships are more mod friendly then others. I know a dealership that will sell and install BMS performance harness and other performance items as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
Aside from Dinan backing up their own products, your question can go multiple ways. It is the dealerships discretion on how they want to go about this scenario. But being that Dinan is pretty much the only company that offers a backing warranty like they do, its a safer move for a dealership to get involved with Dinan knowing that they will repair the car when BMW wont pay the bill.
Some dealerships are more mod friendly then others. I know a dealership that will sell and install BMS performance harness and other performance items as well.
I see! I was willing to pay the price tag of what Dinan cost just for warranty issues but was convinced other wise as I knew I wanted to change the exhaust out. BMW told me up front if u add any other non Dinan mods than pretty much kiss ur warranty goodbye! So I'm guessing I'LL have to find another dealership
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see! I was willing to pay the price tag of what Dinan cost just for warranty issues but was convinced other wise as I knew I wanted to change the exhaust out. BMW told me up front if u add any other non Dinan mods than pretty much kiss ur warranty goodbye! So I'm guessing I'LL have to find another dealership
Or you can find an Independent shop (like myself) that is a Dinan dealer as well.
All Dinan warranties still apply the same as if you went to a BMW dealer that was a Dinan dealer. You will get a cheaper sales and installation cost then going to a dealership. And if none are in your area you can contact myself directly and I can assist you with what you are looking for
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Or you can find an Independent shop (like myself) that is a Dinan dealer as well.
All Dinan warranties still apply the same as if you went to a BMW dealer that was a Dinan dealer. You will get a cheaper sales and installation cost then going to a dealership. And if none are in your area you can contact myself directly and I can assist you with what you are looking for
Appreciate it! I see you're in Murrieta... I'm originally from Temecula before I headed out to the Midwest. Love the Temecula /Murrieta area!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #15
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate it! I see you're in Murrieta... I'm originally from Temecula before I headed out to the Midwest. Love the Temecula /Murrieta area!
Awesome. This area is continuing to grow !
New fwy exits are built and its not stopping soon.
If you ever need assistance with your Dinan products and cant get answers, you can contact me anytime
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome. This area is continuing to grow !
New fwy exits are built and its not stopping soon.
If you ever need assistance with your Dinan products and cant get answers, you can contact me anytime
Appreciate 0