Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Bigmuz7
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16

Suspension Noise

M5 63 plate with 15k on clock .. took it into a BMW dealer (not seller) with report of low speed suspension clunking at about 20 mph. At higher speed road noise masks it, but I'm still tuned into it but because it is hard to hear then it doesent bother me so much. I drive other vehicles on the same roads and same speeds that are silent, so I'm wondering why a premium saloon car like this has this noise ?

Recently it was up on a ramp to change winters to summer tyres and I had a good push and pull at all the suspension struts/ drop arms which were all tight, so I'm guessing its the sway bar mounts front and rear which are directly connected to the body are the cause.

However after a test drive with the dealer today where the noises could be easily heard, he said 'Its nothing unusual' ... ? I expressed my dissapointment at that and also pointed out a ticking noise coming from the NSF wheel going round a round a bout (clockwise traffic circle) and asked if that was a known issue, he said no it wasnt , and I happen to know there was an SIB published on this forum about exactly that fault but I cant find it .. so .. in short ... a bit pissed off with this crappy dealer so far ... anyone else getting low speed suspension noise ?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
M5 63 plate with 15k on clock .. took it into a BMW dealer (not seller) with report of low speed suspension clunking at about 20 mph. At higher speed road noise masks it, but I'm still tuned into it but because it is hard to hear then it doesent bother me so much. I drive other vehicles on the same roads and same speeds that are silent, so I'm wondering why a premium saloon car like this has this noise ?

Recently it was up on a ramp to change winters to summer tyres and I had a good push and pull at all the suspension struts/ drop arms which were all tight, so I'm guessing its the sway bar mounts front and rear which are directly connected to the body are the cause.

However after a test drive with the dealer today where the noises could be easily heard, he said 'Its nothing unusual' ... ? I expressed my dissapointment at that and also pointed out a ticking noise coming from the NSF wheel going round a round a bout (clockwise traffic circle) and asked if that was a known issue, he said no it wasnt , and I happen to know there was an SIB published on this forum about exactly that fault but I cant find it .. so .. in short ... a bit pissed off with this crappy dealer so far ... anyone else getting low speed suspension noise ?
There is an occasional "clunk" from the rear which is the LSD motor going through its diagnosis procedure to measure the wear of the clutch packs and adjusting the motor position.

Clicking from the front could be the wheel bearing SIB, but that along with the "brake squeal" is more for the overly sensitiv US market. A 63 plate even without CP should have the upgraded front suspension bits that were incorporated to allow for Ceramic Brakes. Silly question, but possibly a pebble/debris in the inside drivers tyre or outside passenger tyre, or loose vent in the wheel well?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

I had the same problem on my 2013 M5 brought it in. Dealer replaced the springs and the problem was fixed.

Just search the forum for clunk, I found this SIB:

SI B33 01 13
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

hi mate, i believe the suspension noise is a common issue with early model m5s with the issue being the suspension cup..

As for the clicking noise...i had this, long story but turn out that my bolts were loose on that particular wheel so i would just double check them

if not, could well be a wheel bearing which again is a known issue
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #5
DCT OFF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M sports,2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
I had the same problem a few weeks ago on my 2013,it was the bad right wheel bearing.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:58 AM   #6
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
When turning sharp left or right, I was hearing a loud clicking noise from the front wheels. They performed SIB 34 05 15: Removed both front rotors and sanded down the disc surface. Cleaned out the wheelbearings and inside the brake disc area. And they installed a friction washer between the wheel bearing and the brake disc. The noise went away.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #7
DCT OFF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M sports,2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Great glad they were able to fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren MSO 570S, 18 Raptor

If it's coming from the front, it's likely not the suspension SIB noted above. I had the SIB performed, prior to getting KW HAS, and it addressed a *rear* clunk over bumps.

I feel like if it's coming from the front it's quite possibly a wheel bearing. Jack the front of the car up and shake the wheels with your hands to see if you have any movement whatsoever.

Otherwise, do a HAS kit or coilovers and enjoy

Brad
      04-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #9
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilb
If it's coming from the front, it's likely not the suspension SIB noted above. I had the SIB performed, prior to getting KW HAS, and it addressed a *rear* clunk over bumps.

I feel like if it's coming from the front it's quite possibly a wheel bearing. Jack the front of the car up and shake the wheels with your hands to see if you have any movement whatsoever.

Otherwise, do a HAS kit or coilovers and enjoy

Brad
It's easier if the car is on an alignment rack with the wheels off and suspension static position. It's supposed to squirm a little in loaded compression/unloaded extension.

I've had a clunk in both front and rear a few times...front was actually the exhaust manifold plastic trim cover with a broken foot and not secured with all the remaining fasteners.

Rear ended up being a loose speaker cover once, and the occasional clunk I have now is the little storage flap lifting up and coming back down (I drive with the rear armrest down and the pass-thru cartridge removed)
Appreciate 0