M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

12-18-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
SVJ
Private
India
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

RPi GTM Resonated: Another Review

Hi everyone,

Thought I’d share my experiences of deciding on my exhaust and finally going through with the purchase.

The F10 M5 is way too quiet for an M car. I felt the need for an exhaust the moment I drove home from the showroom! Moving over from a Jaguar XFR with a Spires exhaust, I was used to a rumbly V8 with lots of cracks and bangs.

Decision making process:
Searching through the forum, and reading about everyone’s views on exhausts and how insulated the M5 is, I wanted something on the louder side. I was in a dilemma between the RPi GTM (resonated vs un-resonated) and Eisenmann Race, as most said that these were the two loudest options. I wanted to be 100% sure on what I’m buying as shipping to India is expensive and there is a 50% import duty on the exhaust. I’ve spent numerous sleepless nights watching videos trying to make a decision, though youtube can never replicate what the exhaust actually sounds like.

This is where member Boots & Mstmng came to the rescue! Both, who run GTM resonated on their cars, helped me make the decision. I realized the GTM was best value for money as it’s a full system with a max power gain as compared to the axle-back Eisemann (which was also more expensive!). I also wasn’t keen on cutting into my stock exhaust, incase I needed to throw it back on someday. Both Boots & Mstmng were extremely helpful and prompt in answering all my questions about their experiences with the GTM. They helped me finally decide on the resonated version. As my car is a daily driver, I felt that the drone from the un-resonated might not be desirable. Country run videos posted by Boots also helped make the decision. Many thanks to them for all the help!!

Purchase experience:
Josh at RPi was awesome to deal with. He patiently answered all my questions about the GTM and how the resonated compares with the un-resonated. I’ve been in touch with him for 2 months, with 100s of mails and phone calls between us, before I finally made my decision. Eloy was also extremely prompt in helping with information and tips for the install. Thumbs up to awesome customer service.

Unpacking experience & quality:
The exhaust was extremely well packed with lots and lots of foam padding; the exhaust was in perfect condition when it reached me after a long journey from California to Mumbai! The tips were separately wrapped for further protection. The fit and finish was amazing. The only drawback I found was the gap between the tips. The gap between the two tips on the left is 5mm less than the gap between the two tips on the right (gap is very clear in the pic of the rear, attached). I’m sure this is something that RPi could have looked into; a pure lapse in quality assurance. Unfortunately this is the part you can see from the back, and the difference is noticable. Nothing much I can do about this now anyway. Apart from this, it’s perfect.

The install took approx an hour. Storing the stock exhaust is going to be an issue as its one-piece front to back!

Cold start:
Cold start is much much louder than stock though it gets quiet after 20-30secs. It sounds absolutely fantastic. Idle revving is also louder, but not as loud as I expected. My car is limited to 4k rpms on idle revving, so I get the crack only every now and then, and it’s LOUD! While idling, you can hear the exhaust from inside as well, a low mellow rumble, slightly louder than stock.

Driving experience:
The exhaust is definitely audible when you get off the line, or are moving the car around slowly. A lovely low rumble. There is a short burst of drone when the gears are shifting automatically while driving around calmly. The drone is very noticeable 1.5k rpms to 2rpms, especially while engine braking. It does feel like there is an aftermarket exhaust, but isn’t all that loud from inside, even while driving hard. You do hear some more cracks on the overrun as compared to stock. But somehow I haven’t yet heard cracks on the up-shift as some others have mentioned. You do hear it well while downshifting though. I guess the F10 is way too insulated. I haven’t yet heard it driving from outside though. I’m guessing it’s more of an audible treat to bystanders than me!

It has been 4 days since I’ve installed it, and the sound has totally changed from the first day. I expected it to be louder than it is as it’s a muffler-less system. As I have read others experiences, I hope it gets louder and deeper once its all carboned up! Driven only 50km since its been installed.
As for the performance gain, maybe it’s too early to tell the difference. Not got a chance to do a highway run with anyone to compare either. Hopefully soon!

To sum everything up:
I’m very happy with my decision of buying the Resonated RPi GTM, no regrets. In my opinion, it sounds much better than the Akrapovic and the Eisenmann (only ones I've heard). It is something different as most people here are running on the much quieter Akra. Its great for a daily driver as it’s a perfect match for an aggressive note while not being overly intrusive on a calm drive. It’s a great exhaust to have. And also, in the back of my mind I know that if I still end up finding it quiet, I can always switch to the un-resonated version, an easy swap of that section only!

Going to take some videos and post them up soon, so that you guys can share the joy of the Resonated RPi GTM along with me! I have also attached some pictures during the install process. Hope this review was useful.

Best,

SVJ
Attached Images

Last edited by SVJ; 12-20-2013 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I'm glad I could help out and it all worked out for you bro. That's what this forum is all about. Now really drive it so your car can adapt and it will really scream. I will send you a link to a mic so you can hear your exhaust thru video. Mine sounds better every day. Now go scare your neighbors. Mstmng is tearing it up in london. Rpi ftw!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Glad u made a right choice dude! It will get louder!
I am pissed about tips as well, i have exact the same problem, i guess the only way of fixing it is cutting tip off and welding it back! Kowtow to eisenmann and akra for their build quality, no one can take it from them!

it sounds much louder outside than u think! i find my exhaust is pretty quiet now, so u will get used to it and u will feel like its been like that from day one!

if u want to hear cracks on upshifts, put your throttle response in SPORT+, this way u will also hear loud BANG when u let throttle off above 4K rpm!

enjoy! welcome to RPI crew!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

Im glad you are happy with the exhaust. I am looking into the tip difference (5mm) now. If you have any questions about the install or adjustment, I am happy to help. You have my email.

Much respect to your guys too. They are hardcore doing the install barefoot. lol. Im here wearing boots like a sissy. hahaha
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

No clip?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
SVJ
Private
India
Rep

Thanks guys!

not had time to take a video yet. hopefully soon! also, I want to have my tips aligned properly with my bumper first, before taking any videos. Hope I get time this weekend to do this
      12-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

SVJ,

Congrats on the RPi GTM (Resonated). It's truly the loudest and best sounding exhaust for the F10 M5 if you don't want drone. I still wonder if I should change my section 2 out for the resonators because the drone is a little too much sometimes, especially with my downpipes. But then I always remind myself that the drone gives the M5 character and makes it sound/feel like a Racecar.

The gap you speak of, I'm pretty sure that each side is adjustable. I'll let RPiPower worry about that though.

By the way, the Stainless Steel Tips on the RPi Exhaust get Carboned up and dirty very easily, especially when you go with catless downpipes. I recommend getting yourself a can of Mother's MagWheel Polish. Use a terry cloth with the polish and the tips will shine right up every time.

Have fun!

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIpower View Post
Im glad you are happy with the exhaust. I am looking into the tip difference (5mm) now. If you have any questions about the install or adjustment, I am happy to help. You have my email.

Much respect to your guys too. They are hardcore doing the install barefoot. lol. Im here wearing boots like a sissy. hahaha
any recommendation on aligning the tips? thnx
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
SVJ
Private
India
Rep

The sound has changed considerably since I have installed it. Sounding much nicer than Day 1! More cracks when I lift off. Cold start is a very threatening loud rumble. Sounds insane on start up. Done only about 200kms on it. Hoping for it to get louder and deeper at full chat!
      12-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I am very tempted
      12-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVJ
The sound has changed considerably since I have installed it. Sounding much nicer than Day 1! More cracks when I lift off. Cold start is a very threatening loud rumble. Sounds insane on start up. Done only about 200kms on it. Hoping for it to get louder and deeper at full chat!
I have done 3.5k miles, it still carbons up and becomes louder!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I am very tempted
Why be tempted. Just do it! You won't regret it. Smiles for days.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
Til this day it sounds just mean and I have prob 15k on the pipe.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots
Quote:
Til this day it sounds just mean and I have prob 15k on the pipe.
Some extra bits and pieces gonna help me soon
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
SVJ
Private
India
Rep

Quote:
Going for downpipes??
      12-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #16
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Why be tempted. Just do it! You won't regret it. Smiles for days.
I take many road trips in the car with the wife. I already have catless downpipes on the car and would not want the sound to get exhausting.
      12-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #17
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Remember they soundproof this car extremely well. My gtm are very quite inside and bad azz outside. I know you'll be ok. Everyone I spoke with who has dp and exhaust says its still quite inside the cabin!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #18
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Yea that's what she said!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #19
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

congrats.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

I want to hear a soundclip of the resonated GTMs. Im seriously considering RPI GTMs.
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #21
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdterror View Post
I want to hear a soundclip of the resonated GTMs. Im seriously considering RPI GTMs.
Boots has loads of them! click on his video in signature and then go to his channel !

trust me, you will have 0 regrets and will have so much power gain once ecu is adjusted!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #22
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdterror View Post
Pm'd you
Appreciate 0