Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-27-2014, 02:17 AM   #1
NavidEsq1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8; 2015 x5M

Exclamation Transmission Issues 2015 M5

Hello all

I am new to this forum, at least new to posting and just got a new 2015 M5. I read the posts on this forum regarding feeling a "jerk" or "jerking" when you are taking off from a light. Even when you go easy on the throttle, the take off is not too jerky but it seems like it takes a while to get going. I should be able to drive this car without feeling a jerk when I take off. So has the solution been to have "transmission adaptations" done by the dealer? Has anyone had this problem have it resolved permanently and how was it solved?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavidEsq1
Hello all

I am new to this forum, at least new to posting and just got a new 2015 M5. I read the posts on this forum regarding feeling a "jerk" or "jerking" when you are taking off from a light. Even when you go easy on the throttle, the take off is not too jerky but it seems like it takes a while to get going. I should be able to drive this car without feeling a jerk when I take off. So has the solution been to have "transmission adaptations" done by the dealer? Has anyone had this problem have it resolved permanently and how was it solved?
Do you drive the car hard? The car will learn your driving style. So if you normally drive it hard and then want to change the car will take some time to adapt. What setting do you have when you feel the jerk?

The only times I notice it is when I am parking on my garage and stop short of where I want to be and touch the has again to move a foot or so forward. OR after I have really been hammering the gas pedal and am in sport at a light and try to take off slow, she will jerk.
      12-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

The DCT is going to feel jerky to you if you are always using the fastest shift settings, no matter if you are using S3 or D3. I guarantee you that if you start using S1 or D1 more often, you will "think" that the DCT is a lot smoother. The DCT has different shift modes for a reason. Consider D3 and S3 modes as for the race track only and the other 4 modes for the street. Although S3 and D3 can certainly be used for puttering around town at 25mph and below, it's really just too fast for those slow speeds. Therefore you get that jerkiness feeling because the car wants to give you the fastest shifts possible. This also applies to clutch engagement by the DCT from a stop. Also many people have reported a lag in clutch engagement from a dead stop sometimes. This is somewhat true. A lag occurs due to 2 things, 1 is turbo lag, 2 is the differential not being able to give you all the torque when you don't know how to manage the throttle from a dig. The F10 M5 requires a lot more finesse with the gas pedal because of the torque and its RWD. Learn how to you use your M5 by practicing with it. Take the time to seriously test the different modes. This isn't an RS7 or Porsche where you can have no skill and just mash the pedal everywhere.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
NavidEsq1
United_States
Rep

I drive it generally in efficient mode at all levels, so default when you turn it on. It doesn't even have 500 miles on it right now. I have played around with it a few times, meaning driven it hard etc but I am driving it at defaults when you turn on. So if that's the case, it should be in D1 from the stop and so what I am complaining about is occurring with D1. It seems like I should not have to worry about or manage throttle when I got kick ass daily driver. Not sure from a marketing view why the car would be doing this.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
JetBee
13' M5 AW
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: 13' M5 - AW

What I usually do is, a gentle push of the gas and release (thats when the car starts to roll forward from stand still) and then go gently on the gas.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavidEsq1 View Post
I drive it generally in efficient mode at all levels, so default when you turn it on. It doesn't even have 500 miles on it right now. I have played around with it a few times, meaning driven it hard etc but I am driving it at defaults when you turn on. So if that's the case, it should be in D1 from the stop and so what I am complaining about is occurring with D1. It seems like I should not have to worry about or manage throttle when I got kick ass daily driver. Not sure from a marketing view why the car would be doing this.
I have a thread about this too. "taking off and stopping is jerky" I cant inch my car forward into a tight garage without looking like a 90yr old with horrid reflexes. Its embarrassing! I know how to use the dam throttle. Its my guess the first clutch eases into it and the 2nd clutch is slamming it. My passengers head snap back and forth all the time...lol. I mean COME ON!

My M3 is a "race car" and the DTC and brakes dont do this, or squeel like the M5. The M4 DCT doesnt do this. So why does the M5? Because racecar? Pls.

BMW needs to fix this.
      12-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBee View Post
What I usually do is, a gentle push of the gas and release (thats when the car starts to roll forward from stand still) and then go gently on the gas.

I do the same thing, but its ridiculous that ones has to do that to drive it normally.
      12-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

I hold the position and always will, that it is the driver and not the car. I've owned the F10 M5 for over 2 years now and never experienced jerkiness from the DCT or the throttle, unless I am in D3 mode or a higher throttle setting. I will admit though that there is in fact some turbo lag with the catted stock downpipes.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBee
That is the creep mode. That is a feature of the F10 M5. The E60 M5 did not have this. I find it extremely useful.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #10
NavidEsq1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
I have a thread about this too. "taking off and stopping is jerky" I cant inch my car forward into a tight garage without looking like a 90yr old with horrid reflexes. Its embarrassing! I know how to use the dam throttle. Its my guess the first clutch eases into it and the 2nd clutch is slamming it. My passengers head snap back and forth all the time...lol. I mean COME ON!

My M3 is a "race car" and the DTC and brakes dont do this, or squeel like the M5. The M4 DCT doesnt do this. So why does the M5? Because racecar? Pls.

BMW needs to fix this.
I completely agree! This is not acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
I hold the position and always will, that it is the driver and not the car. I've owned the F10 M5 for over 2 years now and never experienced jerkiness from the DCT or the throttle, unless I am in D3 mode or a higher throttle setting. I will admit though that there is in fact some turbo lag with the catted stock downpipes.
+1 so many other things to be worried about and this is not one .

Yes and I also look like a grandma when I miss judge my parking spot but oh well, I just need to improve my distance skills.

I still love this car.
      12-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
NavidEsq1
United_States
Rep

Talked to a friend who is a bmw tech. He had me take the button near "stick" shift (the one that looks like it has a graph going from short to long) to bump it all the way up. Result: computer allows revs to go up to 4000 plus before shifting BUT no jerking off light! Everything else on efficient mode. He basically said the car is meant to be driven as a stick and efficient mode all around is simply going to result in the hesitation or jerking I have experienced.
Appreciate 0