M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #45
Thunder43
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Just installed BMS Stage 1.
      08-03-2015, 08:51 PM   #46
Mr_M5Guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder43 View Post
Just installed BMS Stage 1.
Could you provide a small review of your experience so far?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #47
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
AMS Stg2
just out of curiosity why did you choose this one over ESS? how do you like it so far?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #48
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

updated list. surprised as how many people have piggyback systems
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #49
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvietness View Post
updated list. surprised as how many people have piggyback systems
I think its because of what has been readily tested and available.
The ECU programing aspect has been pretty vague until recently.
Having to open up the ECU's is a commitment of either having potential issues opening the computer, scared of having warranty issues and or the hassle of going back to the tuner once the ECU's get programmed back to stock. Which at some point the ECU's will get re-programmed due to a factory service and or update software levels during a routine dealership visit.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #50
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

dinan stage 1
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #51
Thunder43
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_M5Guy View Post
Could you provide a small review of your experience so far?

Thanks!
It all started with exhaust tips (there's a sentence I never thought I'd write). While my original thinking was to upgrade the tips to 90mm, I thought I'd be satisfied with some light cosmetic mods. I was wrong.
After hours of countless exhaust videos and mind-numbing 'what exhaust is best' threads, I came across the Turner exhaust delete. In fairly short order, I decided to up-sell my self to exhaust instead of tips. So glad I did. Special thanks to 13F10M5 for the vids! The transformation was immediate, visceral and intoxicating. Turns out Exhaust was my gateway drug.

With the beast unleashed with straight pipes, I now began contemplating a tune. Because moar. Read a lot on the N54tech forum and received some positive reviews from members. Again, thanks to 13F10M5.
With the JB4 w/BMS close to release, I also figured I'd need the stage 1 first anyhow...and the value prop was compelling.
I pulled the trigger and ordered a Stage 1.

What I like:

- Fast, simple install. Did it myself in 20 minutes. Having already yanked the carbon filters, removing the airbox was a snap. If you can plug and unplug wires you can do this. Really. Don't overthink this.

- Ability to resort to stock quickly at anytime. Lowers the 'commitment' factor.

- Power delivery. After install, I didn't feel much in the lower ranges. Drivability seemed unchanged under 'normal' driving. I actually found this to be favorable, considering my DD application.
However, after a few WOT pulls on the highway..wow. There it is! I immediately found myself grinning like a kid.
At default fail-safe boost (3.0 PSI), the change in power/torque was VERY noticeable north of 3k rpms; 80mph roll on thrust felt limitless.
I have not bumped up the boost and most likely won't, although I've heard good things about 3.5 and even 4 PSI.

Upgrade option. When the BCM (boost control module) comes out soon, option to upgrade to full-featured JB4 makes sense.

Sound. I've read reports of 'airy sound' with the BMS. No negative feedback. But again, I'm running a Turner Race and it is fairly aggressive without mufflers.
TIP: With the ASD coded off, I find the sound to be ideal. Deep, rumble at low idles and moderately aggressive at WOT, reduced drone.

No issues/faults/problems. After 500 miles, I can only report upside. I run 93 Shell VPower exclusively.

Overall impression:
I love it. Understand most favor the benefits of having a flash tune vs. a piggyback. At some point, I very well may consider going this route. However, I'm not yet ready to crack my ECU and local options are limited.

Personally, I've found the flexibility, value and power gains of BMS stage 1 to be entirely worth it thus far. Recommend. Turner + BMS = win.
      08-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #52
13M5F10
Hide! My wife's coming!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 | MSR Stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder43 View Post
It all started with exhaust tips (there's a sentence I never thought I'd write). While my original thinking was to upgrade the tips to 90mm, I thought I'd be satisfied with some light cosmetic mods. I was wrong.
After hours of countless exhaust videos and mind-numbing 'what exhaust is best' threads, I came across the Turner exhaust delete. In fairly short order, I decided to up-sell my self to exhaust instead of tips. So glad I did. Special thanks to 13F10M5 for the vids! The transformation was immediate, visceral and intoxicating. Turns out Exhaust was my gateway drug.

With the beast unleashed with straight pipes, I now began contemplating a tune. Because moar. Read a lot on the N54tech forum and received some positive reviews from members. Again, thanks to 13F10M5.
With the JB4 w/BMS close to release, I also figured I'd need the stage 1 first anyhow...and the value prop was compelling.
I pulled the trigger and ordered a Stage 1.

What I like:

- Fast, simple install. Did it myself in 20 minutes. Having already yanked the carbon filters, removing the airbox was a snap. If you can plug and unplug wires you can do this. Really. Don't overthink this.

- Ability to resort to stock quickly at anytime. Lowers the 'commitment' factor.

- Power delivery. After install, I didn't feel much in the lower ranges. Drivability seemed unchanged under 'normal' driving. I actually found this to be favorable, considering my DD application.
However, after a few WOT pulls on the highway..wow. There it is! I immediately found myself grinning like a kid.
At default fail-safe boost (3.0 PSI), the change in power/torque was VERY noticeable north of 3k rpms; 80mph roll on thrust felt limitless.
I have not bumped up the boost and most likely won't, although I've heard good things about 3.5 and even 4 PSI.

Upgrade option. When the BCM (boost control module) comes out soon, option to upgrade to full-featured JB4 makes sense.

Sound. I've read reports of 'airy sound' with the BMS. No negative feedback. But again, I'm running a Turner Race and it is fairly aggressive without mufflers.
TIP: With the ASD coded off, I find the sound to be ideal. Deep, rumble at low idles and moderately aggressive at WOT, reduced drone.

No issues/faults/problems. After 500 miles, I can only report upside. I run 93 Shell VPower exclusively.

Overall impression:
I love it. Understand most favor the benefits of having a flash tune vs. a piggyback. At some point, I very well may consider going this route. However, I'm not yet ready to crack my ECU and local options are limited.

Personally, I've found the flexibility, value and power gains of BMS stage 1 to be entirely worth it thus far. Recommend. Turner + BMS = win.
That's awesome !! Glad I could help in your decision.

I just upped mine to 4 PSI yesterday and added Torco and WOW what a difference in power. Not sure I will keep it at 4 but wanted to play around a little yesterday. Broke loose from 60 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 01:30 AM   #53
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
To those who are running flash tunes, can you please include the stage or model number...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 07:55 AM   #54
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post
To those who are running flash tunes, can you please include the stage or model number...
You finally pulling the tune trigger?
      08-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #55
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan View Post
You finally pulling the tune trigger?
Already got it, Stage 1+ flashed by ACM
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #56
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post
Already got it, Stage 1+ flashed by ACM
That's great..enjoy..
      08-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #57
Speed808Ix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW M5

JB4 Beta!
2015 BMW M///5 Comp. Package I Black Sapphire Metalic I Full Black Leather I Gruppe M Intakes I 3D Design Side Skirts I HRE FF01 I RKP Lip I IND Cosmetic Pkg I JB4 BETA I BMS Meth SS I MSR CP I Challenge SS Brake Lines I Challenge Diffuser I Undercover DP's I Dodson Clutch Packs I VRS GTS Tips I M Perf. Carbon Mirrors, Spoiler and Full Interior +++
698 WHP & 653 WTRQ (Corrected)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #58
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvietness View Post
just out of curiosity why did you choose this one over ESS? how do you like it so far?
I was the car they built the original AMS altered turbos for, so it only seemed right to stick with them for the tune. They were professional and I've been local to them for a long time. Amount of other cars rolling around here with good work from them kept me there.

biggest point for me was that they were mindful of the transmission and other links in the drivetrain. I feel like a max power tune isn't what they were shooting for, but rather, most drivable with most usable power. the guys @ IND and AMS took care of everything and its really great. Would recommend