M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-09-2022, 07:45 PM   #1
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Transmission Malfunction while tuned with BM3 and X-HP

Hello! ***CORRECTION DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION***

I currently have a 16 CP with 65k that I have been modifying over the last 6 months. The list of mods can be seen below:

Eventuri Intake
Fabworx Downpipes
CSF Charge Coolers
Burger Charge Pipes
RK Diff Mount
KW V3
BM3 Stage 2 91
X-HP Transmission Flash

I have had a handful of times where I have applied 60-100% of throttle and the car would go into limp mode/transmission malfunction. I wanted to get other's insights on this. I have a feeling it may be with the BM3 tune, but am not exactly sure where it stems from. I have all my maintenance up to par, including rod bearings and NGK 97506 gapped at the .022 at 62k miles. As well, I had the fluids for both transmission and differential done last month. If others can provide any experience or corrective action, that would be great! I want to enjoy the extra power and sound of these beasts, but always worrying about the transmission malfunction, it does limit on how hard I can drive. Thanks a bunch!!!

Last edited by supremexlonly; 09-13-2022 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 09:03 PM   #2
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

How much fluid was used during the trans service? Low fluid can cause malfunctions at WOT.

CURRENT ll F10 M5 l E85 Z4MR l I01 i3 REX
SOLD ll E70 X5M l E85 Z4MR VF570 l E36/7 Z3MR l E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 09:43 PM   #3
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post
How much fluid was used during the trans service? Low fluid can cause malfunctions at WOT.
Hello! It was the correct amount from the shop I had used for the services. I haven’t had issues prior though until BM3 so I am wondering if it isn’t usable with my car in particular
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 10:25 PM   #4
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremexlonly View Post
Quote:
Hello! It was the correct amount from the shop I had used for the services. I haven’t had issues prior though until BM3 so I am wondering if it isn’t usable with my car in particular
When did you install the tune in relation to the services and the issue starting?

CURRENT ll F10 M5 l E85 Z4MR l I01 i3 REX
SOLD ll E70 X5M l E85 Z4MR VF570 l E36/7 Z3MR l E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 03:08 PM   #5
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
When did you install the tune in relation to the services and the issue starting?
I had the tune with the downpipes and intake done back in April 2022, however with the recent mods, done in August, I have noticed that it still activates Transmission Malfunction under the same amount of throttle. I was thinking it may be due to the fuel pump and with the recent amount of gains, it may be running lean. Would you say a HPFP would help the reliability under hard throttle?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 05:31 PM   #6
JMLM5
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

I have a 2016 F10 M5 with Bootmod3 Stage 2 with Xhp and dealt with the same issue (drivetrain malfunction on full throttle). Same plugs as you have were installed along with a new set of coils and it has been bulletproof since. Plugs were gapped at .0200 by the way per the tuners recommendation. I had a 550i prior to the M5 and had the same issue and did the same thing to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 06:20 PM   #7
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLM5 View Post
I have a 2016 F10 M5 with Bootmod3 Stage 2 with Xhp and dealt with the same issue (drivetrain malfunction on full throttle). Same plugs as you have were installed along with a new set of coils and it has been bulletproof since. Plugs were gapped at .0200 by the way per the tuners recommendation. I had a 550i prior to the M5 and had the same issue and did the same thing to fix it.
Hello! So gapping to the .0200 worked? I just want to get full throttle and go! I am planning more, but if I cant even get down the road, the FI exhaust I am ordering wont even make a sound 😭
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 01:29 PM   #8
JMLM5
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Hello! So gapping to the .0200 worked? I just want to get full throttle and go! I am planning more, but if I cant even get down the road, the FI exhaust I am ordering wont even make a sound 😭
New coils, new plugs and the .0200 gap is what worked for me
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 05:17 PM   #9
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
New coils, new plugs and the .0200 gap is what worked for me
Awesome! I will definitely have my guys do this if this has worked! thank you so much for your input and hopefully get it to where I can fully use!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 06:44 PM   #10
BMWSauberF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Hello! ***CORRECTION DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION***

I currently have a 16 CP with 65k that I have been modifying over the last 6 months. The list of mods can be seen below:

Eventuri Intake
Fabworx Downpipes
CSF Charge Coolers
Burger Charge Pipes
RK Diff Mount
KW V3
BM3 Stage 2 91
X-HP Transmission Flash

I have had a handful of times where I have applied 60-100% of throttle and the car would go into limp mode/transmission malfunction. I wanted to get other's insights on this. I have a feeling it may be with the BM3 tune, but am not exactly sure where it stems from. I have all my maintenance up to par, including rod bearings and NGK 97506 gapped at the .022 at 62k miles. As well, I had the fluids for both transmission and differential done last month. If others can provide any experience or corrective action, that would be great! I want to enjoy the extra power and sound of these beasts, but always worrying about the transmission malfunction, it does limit on how hard I can drive. Thanks a bunch!!!

That definitely sounds like you’re getting misfires and then the car is turning the cylinders that are misfiring off once you see the drivetrain malfunction. Which is why it probably feels super slow once that pops up. Pull the codes when you get that drivetrain malfunction. It’s kinda weird your still getting those issues after changing your plugs but maybe you didn’t gap them small enough like the previous guy said .20 will probably fix the issue but I can almost guarantee that your not having issues with your trans. If you did the plugs back in April maybe theyve already fouled? Are you running any octane booster or anything I know I had that issue in the past with my old S4 that was tuned it would foul the plugs and cause misfires if I’d run octane booster. Either way I’d think about getting new plugs I bet that will fix your issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 06:46 PM   #11
BMWSauberF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I just flashed my M5 with BM3 and started getting that same drivetrain malfunction issue immediately after tuning. But that was because my plugs were still at the oem spec’d gap of .28 (before the tune it ran smooth without a misfire ever) once I bought a new set of NGK’s and gapped them to .22 It completely solved my issue but since your running stage 2 I’d prob gap them to .20.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 01:33 AM   #12
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSauberF1 View Post
That definitely sounds like you’re getting misfires and then the car is turning the cylinders that are misfiring off once you see the drivetrain malfunction. Which is why it probably feels super slow once that pops up. Pull the codes when you get that drivetrain malfunction. It’s kinda weird your still getting those issues after changing your plugs but maybe you didn’t gap them small enough like the previous guy said .20 will probably fix the issue but I can almost guarantee that your not having issues with your trans. If you did the plugs back in April maybe theyve already fouled? Are you running any octane booster or anything I know I had that issue in the past with my old S4 that was tuned it would foul the plugs and cause misfires if I’d run octane booster. Either way I’d think about getting new plugs I bet that will fix your issue.
Hello! Thank you so much! I just talked it over with my representative at Studio RSR, and it does seem that we’re going to be regapping them to the .0200. It is strange and we will be checking everything out in the coming weeks. I am also planning on doing the coil packs as it’ll be included while they work on the car. I have not used any octane booster ever so I am praying that with the correct gap it will be the best day of my life lol
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 01:34 AM   #13
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I just flashed my M5 with BM3 and started getting that same drivetrain malfunction issue immediately after tuning. But that was because my plugs were still at the oem spec’d gap of .28 (before the tune it ran smooth without a misfire ever) once I bought a new set of NGK’s and gapped them to .22 It completely solved my issue but since your running stage 2 I’d prob gap them to .20.
Hello!

Oh I guess the gaps to go are just .0200 at this point if anyone is running any type of tune. I appreciate the help
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 01:37 AM   #14
BMWSauberF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hello! Thank you so much! I just talked it over with my representative at Studio RSR, and it does seem that we’re going to be regapping them to the .0200. It is strange and we will be checking everything out in the coming weeks. I am also planning on doing the coil packs as it’ll be included while they work on the car. I have not used any octane booster ever so I am praying that with the correct gap it will be the best day of my life lol
Yeah you should be good once you've regapped them especially if your replacing your coils because from the sounds of what's happening it seems to be an ignition thing so with the plugs gapped to the recommended gap and new coils your ignition should be 100% good so I wish you the best of luck and hope you get to feel all the power from the amazing S63 we have in our M5's. Because I know when my car was doing that for 2 days it sucked not to be able to enjoy the power
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 03:53 PM   #15
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah you should be good once you've regapped them especially if your replacing your coils because from the sounds of what's happening it seems to be an ignition thing so with the plugs gapped to the recommended gap and new coils your ignition should be 100% good so I wish you the best of luck and hope you get to feel all the power from the amazing S63 we have in our M5's. Because I know when my car was doing that for 2 days it sucked not to be able to enjoy the power
Thank you so much! I really hope that with the re-gap and new coils, we should have a great running car! These F10's are just monsters and not being able to utilize, it sucks lol. Thank you again! I will update this post if we run into issues! Have a great day!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 03:30 PM   #16
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

It will be the coil packs, 0.022" gap is totally fine on a stage 2 22psi car.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 06:12 PM   #17
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post
It will be the coil packs, 0.022" gap is totally fine on a stage 2 22psi car.
That is currently what I am running is the .022" gap but still lighting me up whenever I WOT. I am hoping with the .0200" gap, it will just resolve as a whole for the car to run how it should be
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 07:06 AM   #18
JusticeM5
Just M5
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Quote:
I had the tune with the downpipes and intake done back in April 2022, however with the recent mods, done in August, I have noticed that it still activates Transmission Malfunction under the same amount of throttle. I was thinking it may be due to the fuel pump and with the recent amount of gains, it may be running lean. Would you say a HPFP would help the reliability under hard throttle?
Have you changed your 02 Sensors?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 03:04 PM   #19
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeM5 View Post
Have you changed your 02 Sensors?
Hello! Not yet, but I believe that with the gapped plugs, it may be the entire reason, as well, I know when I last picked the car up from the shop, they notified that I did have a misfire. I will also have the shop also check them as well!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 12:55 AM   #20
Urameshi.Ibn.F10M5
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Hello! Not yet, but I believe that with the gapped plugs, it may be the entire reason, as well, I know when I last picked the car up from the shop, they notified that I did have a misfire. I will also have the shop also check them as well!
out of curiosity .. did changing the gap work?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 06:01 PM   #21
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urameshi.Ibn.F10M5 View Post
out of curiosity .. did changing the gap work?

Hello! Yes, I gapped the plugs as well did my coil packs during this time and had resolved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 11:21 PM   #22
lucyy300
Rep
Drives: classic '67 Mustang

Quote:
It's great to hear that you were able to resolve the drivetrain malfunction issue on your F10 M5!
Appreciate 0